tried all kinds but still pulling!

jroberts1

hi i know this is a problem that keeps cropping up with many owners, but i have tried the turn around and walk other way method, the stop altogrther method, the treats method, but she just has noo attention span and completly ignores me. my arms, elbows and shoulders are killing me. i am 8 stone 12 and 4ft 11. i think a walking belt wouldn't work as she would hurt my back or pull me over. i just don't no how to get through to her. my OH tried a tight lead and getting her to walk by his side but she just pulls then as well and starts jumping up and down with aggitation. i don't like the idea of cannie collars. have got a bungee lead but she pulls that much it is as tight as it will go so thats no use. HEEELP!:mad:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi i know this is a problem that keeps cropping up with many owners, but i have tried the turn around and walk other way method, the stop altogrther method, the treats method, but she just has noo attention span and completly ignores me. my arms, elbows and shoulders are killing me. i am 8 stone 12 and 4ft 11. i think a walking belt wouldn't work as she would hurt my back or pull me over. i just don't no how to get through to her. my OH tried a tight lead and getting her to walk by his side but she just pulls then as well and starts jumping up and down with aggitation. i don't like the idea of cannie collars. have got a bungee lead but she pulls that much it is as tight as it will go so thats no use. HEEELP!:mad:

even watching vic stillwell and dog whisperer haven't helped.............maybe valium next.....forME

Im going to suggest this before anyone else does :P Walk Your Dog With Love Harness! Seriously works :D

http://walkyourdogwithlove.com/

hmmm other problem is she has slipped out of harnesses so easily, we use the ruffwear harness that has to points of fasteners so she can't back out, houdini is her middle name. such a problem child (dog) walks are the only problem we have with her.

hmmm other problem is she has slipped out of harnesses so easily, we use the ruffwear harness that has to points of fasteners so she can't back out, houdini is her middle name. such a problem child (dog) walks are the only problem we have with her.

Sheldon slips out of all other harnesses, but he couldn't from this one as it goes across the chest. There is no way out :)

Patience. . . . :)

It took us a YEAR of Haltis and one on one training to get ours to walk nicely. :dog3:

the wydwl harness - i couldnt walk blaze without a walking belt as i coudlnt physically hold his lead anymore - now with this harness i can and he walksto heel

he also thinks if he jumps around and jumps backwards he will eithr escape it or it willhelp him get where he wants to go quicker - it doesnt

i can now even walk them both past other dogs with ease where as b4 i used to struggle as they would both pull and lunge n jump

the wydwl harness - i couldnt walk blaze without a walking belt as i coudlnt physically hold his lead anymore - now with this harness i can and he walksto heel

he also thinks if he jumps around and jumps backwards he will eithr escape it or it willhelp him get where he wants to go quicker - it doesnt

i can now even walk them both past other dogs with ease where as b4 i used to struggle as they would both pull and lunge n jump

have been thinking of a walking belt but other people have put me off saying they are dangerous and they can pull you over.i take it you use belt as well as this harness.

looks really good. what was yours like the first time using it, i imagine mine will jump about and try to shake away from me.

Before i used it he pulled, span, lunged and there was no chance of him ever walking next to me. But with it he walks next to me and looks at me the entire time (unless there are dogs)

I havent heard any complaints about it and it seems to work pretty well on most dogs :)

have been thinking of a walking belt but other people have put me off saying they are dangerous and they can pull you over.i take it you use belt as well as this harness.

i do if im taking them both out together - just for safety - specially if i have bings with me 2 - but if i just take blaze or skyla out on their own i dont use the belt

looks really good. what was yours like the first time using it, i imagine mine will jump about and try to shake away from me.

mine were fine - they still tried to pull against it but they didnt jump around - tho blaze tries to now i think hes just trying to find a way to pull cuz he cant :P - i'll record him for you

2nd walk with the harness

BBq9uTCuBC0

4th walk

rNQBWE_itQ8

and 1st walk together

28iw--yCHVk

i do if im taking them both out together - just for safety - specially if i have bings with me 2 - but if i just take blaze or skyla out on their own i dont use the belt

mine were fine - they still tried to pull against it but they didnt jump around - tho blaze tries to now i think hes just trying to find a way to pull cuz he cant :P - i'll record him for you

2nd walk with the harness

BBq9uTCuBC0

4th walk

rNQBWE_itQ8

and 1st walk together

28iw--yCHVk

ha ha thank you, i think i'll be giving this harness a go.;)

I got a harness that is like the wydwl as storm brought one for shadow and well my guys would snap it as well they lunge forward and the the clips looked to flimsy but I got one from ebay and well jasper is a different dog on it. I can walk him without worrying he will slip his headcollar. My gsd is a a escape artist with harness so I can't put one on her but sid wolf is going to make me some with a loop at the front and one at the back

I got a harness that is like the wydwl as storm brought one for shadow and well my guys would snap it as well they lunge forward and the the clips looked to flimsy but I got one from ebay and well jasper is a different dog on it. I can walk him without worrying he will slip his headcollar. My gsd is a a escape artist with harness so I can't put one on her but sid wolf is going to make me some with a loop at the front and one at the back

the wydwl 1 looked flimsy? granted it does but blaze is a lunger n has broke an ezydog but i trust him on this no end :) n he backflips too

Ok first question, how long have you given these techniques?

Next question, what sort of focus work/training have you done or do you do with her?

ADD - I don't want the walk your dog with love harness to look bad or anything but there is no guarantee this will work for you unless you use it with a training program too and put alot of time and effort into your sibes obedience aswell.

I use haltis with my dogs and even now they are still not perfect but we are getting there in time.

Whatever you choose, don't expect instant results! Instant results more than often result in worse problems in the future!

I used a martingale collar when training my boy not to pull.Whenever he does pull, I give a quick jerk to the side and he stops.

If you have a collar, put it a the very top of their neck so it is just touching the back of her ears and the other side is under her chin. This is the weakest part of her neck, and if she tries to pull she should soon realize that it HURTS to do that and she hopefully might stop.

I used a martingale collar when training my boy not to pull.Whenever he does pull, I give a quick jerk to the side and he stops.

If you have a collar, put it a the very top of their neck so it is just touching the back of her ears and the other side is under her chin. This is the weakest part of her neck, and if she tries to pull she should soon realize that it HURTS to do that and she hopefully might stop.

I personally would be cautious with this as it could be seen as a negative reinforcement and could cause the dog to fear about going for a walk

Another reason I would be cautious for is that some dogs can become so aroused over a walk or something they see on a walk that they may continue to pull even if it hurts them which would result in the dog choking themselves.

I personally would be cautious with this as it could be seen as a negative reinforcement and could cause the dog to fear about going for a walk

Another reason I would be cautious for is that some dogs can become so aroused over a walk or something they see on a walk that they may continue to pull even if it hurts them which would result in the dog choking themselves.

That hasn't happened in my case, although Suka hasn't really been a puller in the first place.