Bone Digestion

Michelle Melsom

Sooooo Marius swallowed a cooked pork bone whole tonight -sigh- I called the vet and she said to make him vomit. Well I know how to do that so I give marius the hydrogen peroxide and he doesnt not throw up...give it to him again and nothing and its alreayd been an hour ARGH how he mwakes me worry so! Apparently Marius is one of the few dogs that this method does not work on...go figure. Anyways Im hoping he passes it. Has anyone else had this happen and did their dog pass it ?

Hi Michelle ... my two have bones (uncooked) quite often. usually stock bones with a lot of meat on ... if they do swallow any piecies of bone they can not digest they usally

Regurgitate it some hours later.....

Dog’s digestive system is designed to deal with bone ingestion and can usually cope ....

Hi Michelle ... my two have bones (uncooked) quite often. usually stock bones with a lot of meat on ... if they do swallow any piecies of bone they can not digest they usally

Regurgitate it some hours later.....

Dog’s digestive system is designed to deal with bone ingestion and can usually cope ....

need to get to grips with this font thingy .... all shape and sizes

Hydrogen Peroxide:yikes:.

Isn't that very poisonous?

Only if you use a lot of it. My vet recommended it to me one day when Suka swallowed a HUGE bone and looked like he was having trouble breathing!

It is poison to the dog, which is why they suggest to only use a little bit (I think my vet said about 1 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of body weight? Or maybe it was half a teaspoon), because the dog's body WANTS to throw it up because it is a poison.

Michelle Melsom : Did you use the right dose recommend to you by your vet? If not...

Three percent hydrogen peroxide (not hair coloring strength peroxide) is quite effective in making dogs and cats vomit. You must be sure to use three percent peroxide. Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.

Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, it is important to watch your pet so that he does not re-ingest the substance. If there is concern about toxicity, collect and take a sample of the vomitus to your veterinarian.

Only if you use a lot of it. My vet recommended it to me one day when Suka swallowed a HUGE bone and looked like he was having trouble breathing!

It is poison to the dog, which is why they suggest to only use a little bit (I think my vet said about 1 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of body weight? Or maybe it was half a teaspoon), because the dog's body WANTS to throw it up because it is a poison.

Michelle Melsom : Did you use the right dose recommend to you by your vet? If not...

I know the method :P I made a forum post about it earlier this month how to administer it and all that junk which is why its ironic lol. Its 2 tbsps for a 60lb dog and thats what the vet reccomended it seems alot of places have different time limits and amounts to give...yours is totally different from the one I read and from what I was told...thats weird he definitly did not like it :P and gagged a couple of times but he wouldnt throw up but hes kicking around this morning like its nothing.... hasnt pooped yet tho o.o had alot of gas last night ...both ends

Hydrogen Peroxide:yikes:.

Isn't that very poisonous?

It is poisonous in large amounts like Elyse said its a poison and it makes them throw up its also that bubbling foam thing it does that upsets the stomach. I had to use it to rinse my mouth out when I got my lip pierced swallowed a bit before :S

My Shadow used to do this all the time cos he was convinced that the other two would take his food off him. They were never interested. :facepalm:

I am really surprised that he is still with us the amount of stuff he ingested as a pup. I was so convinced that he would have serious probs - when he was being neutered I asked the vet to x ray him. They said if he didn't have any symptoms and if they felt around under anaesthetic and they could not find an obstruction then try not to worry as he's probably passed these things. Some of the things he's swallowed though I'm surprised he could have without vocalising about it.....:eek: I would always tag the vet over the phone ( for free) and they will tell you what to watch out for. If you have deeper concerns they are the experts......I hope everything turns out ok.. Let us know.;)

I know the method :P I made a forum post about it earlier this month how to administer it and all that junk which is why its ironic lol. Its 2 tbsps for a 60lb dog and thats what the vet reccomended it seems alot of places have different time limits and amounts to give...yours is totally different from the one I read and from what I was told...thats weird he definitly did not like it :P and gagged a couple of times but he wouldnt throw up but hes kicking around this morning like its nothing.... hasnt pooped yet tho o.o had alot of gas last night ...both ends

It is poisonous in large amounts like Elyse said its a poison and it makes them throw up its also that bubbling foam thing it does that upsets the stomach. I had to use it to rinse my mouth out when I got my lip pierced swallowed a bit before :S

Oh.

Yeah, Suka ate a pretty fully cooked bone this one time (he stole it!)...and he didn't poop for a day or two afterwards. But had lots of gas. I think the bone makes them constipated, because its harder to move through the digestive tract than other foods.

Keep an eye on him; is he showing any signs of pain in his abdomen? If you touch his belly/abdomen area, does he shy away, flinch, or show any sign of discomfort. This might indicate a blockage and he'd need surgery to remove it, I think.

When he does poo, and he should eventually, you'll see what looks like little holes or crevices in the poo. It might also be dry or crumbly when you poke it with a stick (in my experience, LOL) This is normal...because I think the bone isn't fully digestible! If the poo is black or there's blood in it, call your vet. Black poo indicates internal bleeding (digested blood), while red blood would indicate either a damaged lower intestine or a damaged rectum.

Oh.

Yeah, Suka ate a pretty fully cooked bone this one time (he stole it!)...and he didn't poop for a day or two afterwards. But had lots of gas. I think the bone makes them constipated, because its harder to move through the digestive tract than other foods.

Keep an eye on him; is he showing any signs of pain in his abdomen? If you touch his belly/abdomen area, does he shy away, flinch, or show any sign of discomfort. This might indicate a blockage and he'd need surgery to remove it, I think.

When he does poo, and he should eventually, you'll see what looks like little holes or crevices in the poo. It might also be dry or crumbly when you poke it with a stick (in my experience, LOL) This is normal...because I think the bone isn't fully digestible! If the poo is black or there's blood in it, call your vet. Black poo indicates internal bleeding (digested blood), while red blood would indicate either a damaged lower intestine or a damaged rectum.

He likes his belly rubbed still so im good there. A friend talked to her vet and she said that I shouldnt have tried to make him throw up at all! Makes me seriously wonder about this 24 hour emergency vet I called. I will be watching his poo as I know all about that fun stuff :S This other vet also said to feed him potato so I'm making some sweet potato because thats all I have lol I bought it for him as a treat when I went shopping last. Hes sleeping alot this morning and its freaking me out but this is normal for him he usually sleeps all morning until the OH gets up...its just freaking me out because of the whole bone and having to give him the peroxide :( You think you know alot and then it happens to your furbaby and you freak out :P go figure hey Hes still playful and stuff so ye...silly piggy dog -.- hes never had human food and knows hes not allowed to have ours but hes a little ninja..

He likes his belly rubbed still so im good there. A friend talked to her vet and she said that I shouldnt have tried to make him throw up at all! Makes me seriously wonder about this 24 hour emergency vet I called. I will be watching his poo as I know all about that fun stuff :S This other vet also said to feed him potato so I'm making some sweet potato because thats all I have lol I bought it for him as a treat when I went shopping last. Hes sleeping alot this morning and its freaking me out but this is normal for him he usually sleeps all morning until the OH gets up...its just freaking me out because of the whole bone and having to give him the peroxide :( You think you know alot and then it happens to your furbaby and you freak out :P go figure hey Hes still playful and stuff so ye...silly piggy dog -.- hes never had human food and knows hes not allowed to have ours but hes a little ninja..

I hope he's feeling better soon! :)

That reminds me...I taught Suka to 'be a Ninja' (that's the actual command, too!) . It basically involves crawlling across the floor/carpet very quickly yet quietly. It's epic.

that's so awesome how'd you do that? ? ?

I got him to lie down (in the sphinx position). Then I put the treat in front of his nose near the ground, but not touching, and far enough that he can't lunge for it. Encouraged him to get it. If he'd try to lunge, I'd pull away the treat. He would try to get up and get the treat. I'd pull it away. He'd try to paw at it. I'd pull it away. He'd try to mouth my hand, I'd either close my hand and pull away. Eventually, he figured out I wanted him to crawl to get at the treat. We started at a few steps or two from each paw (his body barely had to be off the ground, or he wouldn't get the reward) and then increased the distance. Right now, he only does it with the treat, but I'm going to work on a greater distance (like going across the room or around a corner! LOL) and then eventually fade the treat.

To make him crawl faster, I just faded in a higher value treat. This is when I started using the 'ninja' command instead of the 'crawl' command.

To make him crawl quieter, that is much harder and we're still working on it...its harder for him to crawl and we keep the sessions short because of his arthritis.

Sibemum: The trick isn't perfected yet, and I don't have a video of him doing it, nor am I at home right now to get a video! Will be home in about 2 weeks, and I'll try to get a video around then.

I got him to lie down (in the sphinx position). Then I put the treat in front of his nose near the ground, but not touching, and far enough that he can't lunge for it. Encouraged him to get it. If he'd try to lunge, I'd pull away the treat. He would try to get up and get the treat. I'd pull it away. He'd try to paw at it. I'd pull it away. He'd try to mouth my hand, I'd either close my hand and pull away. Eventually, he figured out I wanted him to crawl to get at the treat. We started at a few steps or two from each paw (his body barely had to be off the ground, or he wouldn't get the reward) and then increased the distance. Right now, he only does it with the treat, but I'm going to work on a greater distance (like going across the room or around a corner! LOL) and then eventually fade the treat.

To make him crawl faster, I just faded in a higher value treat. This is when I started using the 'ninja' command instead of the 'crawl' command.

To make him crawl quieter, that is much harder and we're still working on it...its harder for him to crawl and we keep the sessions short because of his arthritis.

Sibemum: The trick isn't perfected yet, and I don't have a video of him doing it, nor am I at home right now to get a video! Will be home in about 2 weeks, and I'll try to get a video around then.

:wave1:Thank you!