Home checks???

StaceyMae

So as I said the other day, I have decided to get another fur baby :) However, ATM, I can't rescue as we wouldn't pass the home check because our fences are not 6ft all the way around. Now that can be fixed as we only need like 2 more panels up to complete it :)

I also have an open pond, not sure if thats a problem :/

But can anyone tell me any of the other requirements?

They will test your knowledge of husky ownership, and ask if you have any other pets. If you do they will want to see them and see the condition of them. Then advise if needed. Will also check the temprement of them if a dog. Will check kennels/ sleeping area. Will also check if everyone in the household is happy with potential adoption. If they see anything, they will suggest options. Such as needing to finish fence etc.

if you have kids they will want to know how old they are etc, where you'd walk the new dog / how many times a day - basically the in's and outs of everything but it's in the best interest of the dog and yourself, so you can be matched to a dog suited to your circumstances x

They will test your knowledge of husky ownership, and ask if you have any other pets. If you do they will want to see them and see the condition of them. Then advise if needed. Will also check the temprement of them if a dog. Will check kennels/ sleeping area. Will also check if everyone in the household is happy with potential adoption. If they see anything, they will suggest options. Such as needing to finish fence etc.

I'm not sure we'd pass the knowledge thing, as we're new to the breed and still working things out. Sheldon's brilliant, he has a great temperament :)

Well, the other half isn't happy about it, he said neither of us know anything so they will take Sheldon away! He's so silly, it's not like we beat him!

We'll give it a go when we find the perfect dog for us :)

The rescue we got Luna from wasn't husky specific they just checked our fences, ticked our house off as being suitable for a large sized dog & asked about our working hours. Most rescues won't let you take a dog on if you're planning on leaving them for more than four hours at a time xxx

I live in a bungalow, is that to small for a "large" size dog? I don't think I'll be able to as I work over 4 hours and my breaks aren't long enough to come home and check on them as I don't work enough hours to get a lunch break :/

if you have kids they will want to know how old they are etc, where you'd walk the new dog / how many times a day - basically the in's and outs of everything but it's in the best interest of the dog and yourself, so you can be matched to a dog suited to your circumstances x

I'm only 19.. No kids for a while for me! :) The only thing I'm worried about is how much we know about Huskies :/

Everyone with a husky knows how stubborn they are :) However, I let mine off lead occaisonally :/

think you'll find most husky rescues have a no off lead policy and you have to sign to say you won't let them off. it's just to protect the dogs from doing a runner and getting hurt or lost

Is there anyone who could visit your dog during the day? I know its a deal breaker for my local rescue, they just wont let you adopt a dog if they're going to be indoors alone for more than 4 hours at a time. Do you live with anyone?

I live with my OH, but he's on call, so we never know if there's a time we're both going to be out. However, if it is for quite a long period of time Sheldon goes and stays with his great nan and granddad :) I'm not sure how they'd feel about two though as their not massive fans of dogs :/

Is there anyone who could visit your dog during the day? I know its a deal breaker for my local rescue, they just wont let you adopt a dog if they're going to be indoors alone for more than 4 hours at a time. Do you live with anyone?

I work at home 95% of the time :)

think you'll find most husky rescues have a no off lead policy and you have to sign to say you won't let them off. it's just to protect the dogs from doing a runner and getting hurt or lost

not sure if that statement is correct ..

i have a Husky from SHCGB and didnt have to sign anything about walking on or off lead..

and they didn't ask you about letting huskies off lead at all ?

no but i did have 2 huskies all ready. so i can only assume they decided i was experienced enough to know not to. it may be different if it was someone that has not had experience with huskies i dont know....

i might be wrong .. with husky rescues but having dealt with Sheltie rescue for many years i know that is a case by case situation.. what one person gets asked may not be the same as another....

yeh there are the normal sort of questions to find out what sort of owner a person would make or what experience they have with the breed or any breed.. etc.. and it also depends on the person doin the home check to what they feel needs asking.