Hi and some questions

Shane.

Hi I'm Shane from Bristol, England. Me and my girlfriend picked up our 8 week old siberian last week his name is blue he is wolf grey with light blue eyes.

We have got over the normal teething problems (crying at night and messing everywhere) he now is pad trained and almost house trained (will be better when hes abit older (10-12weeks?) I think and can hold it properly) the questions I do have maybe common things but can't find proper answers:

1. He seems to drink quite alot which in turn makes his mess very sloppy towards the end of the day just before bed so when I wake up in the morning it can be very messy to clean up even with it being on the pads. Is this natural?

2. We noticed his right eye has a small touch of brown at the top of it but this has only come on in the past day or two is this ok? I think from research it could be parti eye? Its not very noticeable at the moment

Thanks

Shane

Welcome. I would let him drink to his heart's content, until about two hours before you plan to go to bed. Then pull the water. Also, at his age, he cannot go through the entire night and hold everything. Get yourself out of bed every couple of hours through the night and take the poor guy out. By the time he's four to six months old, he'll make it through the night no problem. Pee pads are fine, if you want to teach a dog that it's OK to potty in the house. Because once you've trained a dog to use the pads in the house, now you've got to switch gears and teach the dog that, "No, I did not mean that, let's do it outside now." If he's got messy, non-formed stools, you may be overfeeding him. Number one reason for pups to have messy stools is overfeeding. What are you feeding and how much? A pup should probably get fed three to four times a day, and about 1/2 cup more or less of kibble (useless measurement for those in the UK - suffice to say a tea cup not quite full should do the trick).

Would love to see some pics of your pup.

Hi welcome to the forums...

I got Maya when she was 8wks old and let her drink as much as she wanted until a cple hours b4 we went to bed, but set our alarms for every 3 hours, me and my OH took turns in getting up so we still managed to get 6hrs sleep each, well she did, i didnt... and every week increased it by about 30mins so by the time Maya was 16wks old old she was sleeping for about 6 hours without needing to be let outside. Then we got another pup, Togo, who was 8wks old and repeated the cycle again.. I never bothered with pad training as it was teaching them that they could potty in the house, and that it was acceptable. We had a few mishaps along the way but i wouldnt change the way we did it.

As for the eyes, when we got Maya she had 2 bright blue eyes, and slowly from about 12wks onwards, one of her eyes started changing colour a little and now at 8mths old she has 1 bright blue eye and 1 Half blue half green eye.

Thanks for the welcomes.

With regards to the pad training, we didn't do the getting up at every 3 hours because we also don't want to teach him to get into routine of expecting to go out at night although I can see the logic . Also because he is left for a couple of hours in the morning and couple in the afternoon it is hard to police the routine without locking him in his den (he has learned not to mess his bed already but we tried locking him in for a few hours before and he had an absolute headfit)

I will try taking the water away at about 9pm then and see how that goes, we are feeding him purina beta puppy and about 100g 3 times a day.

Couple of pictures:

378915_2791635674416_1364108823_3001618_100659543_n.jpg

Although he is an odd sleeper haha

379115_2814127996710_1364108823_3010232_2008390276_n.jpg

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the best husky forum there is where you will gets lots of advice and meet lots of lovely people :)

I have a 17 week old pup who at present will go right through the night without going to the toilet, she can if she wishes as she sleeps in our bedroom so will wake us up :)

As for through the day we are still struggling in getting her to go all the time outside. But nearly there :) As for the eyes she is bi-eyed (one blue and one brown) her brown eye has a small dot of blue and as you have said is a parti-eye. This is quite normal and nothing to worry about.

By the way he is one cute pup and I am sure will get away with murder with those blue eyes they just melt your heart :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

Thanks for the kind words, yeah he gets away with murder with the OH and if he gets told off by me he runs straight to her haha. I have cut his food slightly which has seemed to stop the runny mess which is good. House training is slowly progressing if we are home he paws at the back door to go out but nights and if were out are still pads as of yet, hoping with age he will learn to hold it longer until he can last a full night.

He has also now started learning to open things and has sussed shoe cuboard and jumps for door handles (not a problem yet but will be an issue when he is bigger)

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

welcome to the pack, Shane and Blue! :D Idk, maybe if u post a more detailed pic of his eye, we can tell is it a parti-eye or not. Huskies are full of surprises, you'll never know what will they turn to LOL it'll be clear what kind of eye he has when he's fully-grown tho, so just you wait and see ;) and it's good to know that his runny mess has stopped! :clap: don't hesitate to post any more questions if you encounter medical/behavioral issues with Blue! :)

Hi shane and blue welcome to the pack. Blue is a cutie. He definitely sound as thru he got parti-eyed my boy ice has one brown eye and one blue and brown eye he had it at 12 weeks it got more round as he got older lol as it was only a lil dot of blue now its half way round. Glad his belly has sorted its self out huskies don't need as much as other breeds so don't worry to much what the pack it says. Huskies are not like other dogs they can change colour, mask can fade and by the time he 6 months he might look like a different dog lol. Ice had a full mask it looked like he wore glasses he can the whole outline and was light grey and white now at 4 he has a blade down his nose no glasses and is more black then grey.

Hi and WavingWelcome.gif - he's adorable!

You can make it easier to crate train him by getting him used to it more gradually, and making it be a place that is very positive - start out by leaving it open and feeding him in it - fun toys and tossing small bits of yummy treats in it can also help. As he gets more comfortable in it like that, you can progress from there to closing it for very short periods of time. Here are some links to a couple of pages that can help with teaching him to stay happily in a crate...

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

http://training-dogs.com/crate-training.html

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/cratetraining.htm

Thanks guys, I will have good read of the crate training guide it is his goto place and we have been closing door but not locking it more often to get him use to it

He did have a bit of a head fit last night, I tried a "get off" spray as although he is pad trained he seems to like going behind the front door curtain as well as on the pad and also an antichew spray for the bottom stair/his pads as he has started chewing both.

I heard a lot of noise around 5am inc howling which he hasn't done in a week looked down stairs the pad was all torn and in a heap, he'd messed all over the floor where the spray was put down and bottom step was worse than its ever been (needless to say I will be complaining about both products when I collect food from the shop later) seems they actually made him worse :S

he has his second injections tonight and check up so will ask vet to double check his eye, its hard to get picture but will try later on

Thanks

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

Welcome.

Glad you're getting some great advice.

Doors and Handles.

Yeah once they've learned that trick you either have to fit child locks / clasps etc to the doors

or remove the door handles / turn the door handles so they work upside down / put round handles on.

Darwin (my boy) learned how to nudge the bottom bar on the window, then turn the locking handle to open the windows

and go for a run. Cost us £117 to get him back fro the dog warden !!!

They are far too intelligent for their own good. :o