The demise of the purebred dog?

Michelle Melsom

Somone posted this today in the KKC forums and its a good read and it kinda..angers me that they would take that away I dont even know what to say about it. This is what the member of the KKC said when they posted this:

"By member referendum, the Canadian Kennel Club has chosen to remove the word "purebred" from its bylaws, mission statement, and club information. Further stipulations are that no one will be allowed to breed dogs which do not conform to their breed standards -- so, does that mean if the dogs aren't perfect representations, they'll be rejected for registration??"

http://knobnotes.blogspot.com/2011/12/demise-of-purebred-dog-editorial-rant.html

"By member referendum, the Canadian Kennel Club has chosen to remove the word "purebred" from its bylaws, mission statement, and club information. Further stipulations are that no one will be allowed to breed dogs which do not conform to their breed standards -- so, does that mean if the dogs aren't perfect representations, they'll be rejected for registration??"

I would have thought that these two statements are mutually exclusive. On the one hand they are diminishing the concept of "purebred" dogs and on the other, they are insisting upon it by saying that dogs must conform to the breed standard. Confused??????????????????

I was confused to, I dunno another member of the KKC is really familiar with this stuff and she said:

"first, the amendment was not remove the word purbred from the bylaws, it was to change the definition of "dog" to mean any dog, not just purebred, ~unless otherwise defined~, so that the club can include things like legislation, health, etc of ALL dogs in it's mandate, and allow non registered dogs to compete in performance events with a PEN... nothing to do with registration, breeding, etc, that all remains the same.... this is a GOOD thing! second, the breed clubs were asked last year to start thinking up a set of core "characteristics" of the breed, with an eye to health. These will probably be the "characteristics as set out in the breed standard" that we will be certifying we are breeding towards. IMO they should have changed the breed standards first (add these core charateristics) then made this a mendment, but this is the idea, not that all dogs bred must be free of DQ. heck, all dogs shown are not free of DQ. what astonishes me the most is that the people screaming that "the sky is falling" are many NOT EVEN members, or have not read the actual Referendum (or if they had, completely disregarded what they read) and DID NOT vote..."

So I guess the blogger just misunderstood and flipped out ?