Pets and Ashma

lauraxxx29

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have asthma and four huskies two cats and a rat. I'm aware you're now having your husky rehomed. But I'd like to add a couple of things I picked up on in your posts.

In my experience, you're more likely to react to the reptile than the husky mainly because of what he's kept in. I'm highly allergic to the rat. We have a three storey house and it lives on the top floor. I don't go up there as I've approximately a 15 minute window before I have an attack. The dogs have never bothered me but you did mention they spend a lot of time outside in the day. I'm allergic to one of our cats but not the other. The difference between the two is that one's an outside cat and one isnt. I hope you're following me on this point. I think if anything it could be the dogs having been out and what they pick up on their coats not the dog themselves.

I'm sorry you've been bullied into this situation. I think it's terrible to have that done. This action will not stop you from ever having another attack. Plus asthma is worse when the weather is changeable. Which at the moment it is. I dont agree with your husband and I don't believe you can have two dogs and blame one. If your asthma doesnt improve at least you will have proved it wasn't your husky and could possibly arrange to have her back

I really do feel for you

Oh and I forgot to add.. STRESS like the kind you've been put under to rehome your beloved husky, is also a MAJOR factor in asthma. Something all those people who are so concerned about making you get rid of your dog against your will should consider.

I have asthma and four huskies two cats and a rat. I'm aware you're now having your husky rehomed. But I'd like to add a couple of things I picked up on in your posts.

In my experience, you're more likely to react to the reptile than the husky mainly because of what he's kept in. I'm highly allergic to the rat. We have a three storey house and it lives on the top floor. I don't go up there as I've approximately a 15 minute window before I have an attack. The dogs have never bothered me but you did mention they spend a lot of time outside in the day. I'm allergic to one of our cats but not the other. The difference between the two is that one's an outside cat and one isnt. I hope you're following me on this point. I think if anything it could be the dogs having been out and what they pick up on their coats not the dog themselves.

I'm sorry you've been bullied into this situation. I think it's terrible to have that done. This action will not stop you from ever having another attack. Plus asthma is worse when the weather is changeable. Which at the moment it is. I dont agree with your husband and I don't believe you can have two dogs and blame one. If your asthma doesnt improve at least you will have proved it wasn't your husky and could possibly arrange to have her back

I really do feel for you

That's very interesting, my huskies have free movement in and out the house.

I have chronic asthma, and have struggled with it for years. I have always thought the huskies don't have any effect on me, but last January I spent four days in hospital after a particularly bad attack - both huskies were blowing their coats at the time. They are now blowing again, and I have been rushed to the doctor twice. The doctor thinks it may be that more dander is being released with the blowing of their coats (?) and that is what is affecting me. There is not much we can do, except that I don't brush them at the moment, my husband has taken over that chore :D Once they have finished blowing, it will be back to normal until the next time.

In the meantime I have tons of medication to take, and carry my cell with me at all times with my husband on speed dial - luckily he works around the corner from home. As uncomfortable as it is, I just need to find out how to manage my asthma while they blow their coats, and all will be fine - so far so good :)

That's very interesting, my huskies have free movement in and out the house.

I have chronic asthma, and have struggled with it for years. I have always thought the huskies don't have any effect on me, but last January I spent four days in hospital after a particularly bad attack - both huskies were blowing their coats at the time. They are now blowing again, and I have been rushed to the doctor twice. The doctor thinks it may be that more dander is being released with the blowing of their coats (?) and that is what is affecting me. There is not much we can do, except that I don't brush them at the moment, my husband has taken over that chore :D Once they have finished blowing, it will be back to normal until the next time.

In the meantime I have tons of medication to take, and carry my cell with me at all times with my husband on speed dial - luckily he works around the corner from home. As uncomfortable as it is, I just need to find out how to manage my asthma while they blow their coats, and all will be fine - so far so good :)

My huskies come and go as well, but it's the cat ... And the rat, I have the biggest problem with. I can't touch the cat, or have him sit near me. I sneeze, my eyes swell and my chest tightens to the point I can't breathe. The rat, I can't be outside the room it's in.

I'm a late developer as far as asthma is concerned. I've only had it 15 years. It started when my marriage broke down (stress) after a particularly nasty argument with my husband I suffered an attack an was admitted to hospital. I'd no idea what was happening.

Like you, I'm attempting not to let allergies and asthma make the choices for me. And am trying to work round the things that can set me off with the support of my partner and children. Alcohol sets me off, but I still enjoy wine!! Lol

I have the same issue with certain other breeds...so far I have found Goldens and Labs to be my biggest issue creators. Dog shows where our grooming areas are near these breeds is down right miserable! I also break out into hives if they touch me with their noses. Ironically it doesn't happen with the Siberians. Guess I fell in love with the right breed for me and my health :)

I really believe Laura's husband had acted in panic mode. Any dr when asked will immediately say its the animals if you say you have any. I understand his concern, my partner is a first aid trainer and uses me as a 'how not to do it' example in his training. I'm sure she could have asked for an allergy patch test to rule out some things. But this is the NHS and they only do the bare minimum required