Am I a bad person for re homing?!

HazCad

As the title says, Am I a bad person for re homing my beloved husky because I cannot deap with his food aggression?

Some of you may have seen my posts, and we have come to the decision that sadly Keifer must be re homed, It breaks my heart but my husband is concerned for my childrens safety even though I had made slight progress with him. He won't budge on his decision and have argued countless times about this subject that if I keep fighting to keep him I will put my relationship at risk.

I have been offered helpin finding a foster which is underway but it's breaking my heart every time I look at him.

I feel so bad, A failure and like I've been sectioned into the group of the one's who are advertising on preloved and free ad's trying to re home their huskys like all the rest.

agree so long as hes passed onto sum1 who can help him with it and ur honest with that person about his problems then ur not a bad person

sometimes these things happen n no matter how hard we try its kinder to give them the help they need even if sadly that means he has to get that help from sum1 else

hugs

You know what's right for your situation. The fact that you are worrying for the best interest of the dog means you will make sure he finds a good forever home. Dog ownership is like marriage in my opinion. You enter it with love and intend it to be forever, but sometimes bad things happen and you exhaust yourself trying to fix it until there is nothing more you can do. Doesn't make ending things any easier and I think we'll always be sad when we have to admit that we are not the right home for a dog.

I agree with the replies above. You have tried to help him and as long as he goes to the right home you are doing the right thing. Your kids come first and sometimes dogs just don't work out in some families. Hope he finds someone who can help him and I know its hard on you to let him go but don't beat yourself up over the decision.

In my opinion you should always put your children first. You would never forgive yourself if any got bitten. Food aggression does happen with some dogs and some can be rectified but do the children know to stay away from the dogs food and does the dog never want to take food from the children. Many senario's can be had and safety has to be your most sensible option.

If a good foster home is found to help solve this problem, a forever home may later be found.

Dont feel guilty!! its a good mother that puts their children first even if a heartbreaking dicision has had to be met.

Good luck :cry1:

Agreed... having a dog with food aggression around children can be so dangerous! You are not a failure and you made a sound decision what's best for your family, and Keifer. I admit, even without children, I worried for my safety when I brought home Echo as a foster and she had terrible food/toy possession, she would snap. I worried about her hurting me when she got bigger... luckily, I was able to work it out of her since she was young enough, but it would have been a very hard decision for me whether or not to adopt her if she continued and regressed. Best of luck to you and I am so sorry it didn't work out :(

Thank you for all your kind words, it has made me feel a bit better, I think it will just take time to get over loosing him. But as you all say it's for the best an he will be in a good place, hopefully his issues will be resolved an he will find another loving home.

This house won't be the same without him but we will never forget him.

I had to rehome a staff of mine bout 3/4 months ago, he was play fighting which was getting out of hand and he was ending up getting hurt. I got stick about it and even more when my OH wanted to give Mia a home, but I no bandit is safe and in a fab home and that is all I need to know. You know your dog better than anyone and it wasnt a decision you came to overnight, sometimes as hard as it is they are better off being rehomed

ATDx

oh bless you hunny.. pls try not to feel any guilt, some dogs need more help than others, and if you are worried for your children etc then you have had no choice but to rehome your dog for its sake too, its not his fault he has this aggression, ive had dogs in the past, lovely temprement and then suddenly they have done something out of character, this is my sign to let them go to a home that can help, obviously if i didnt have kids then i could of tried to work on the dogs issues as the only one at risk would of been me, it is sad to rehome a pet, but look at it this way, your doing him a favour, if he did nip one of the kids then he may of been put to sleep, your offering him another chance to get help before he gets to this stage.. your doing great hun x

I agree with what everyone else said above. No, as long as you know Keifer is going to a loving home, no you are not a bad person for rehoming him. And plus, your children's safety must come first--no matter what. I bet it is more than just hard, but seems like you're in a situation where finding him a new family is a better option. Don't feel guilty, you know you're doing the right thing for both your children, your partner, and Keifer himself :)