Big D's diet

Val (Zebedee)

Diesel is almost 4 weeks in to his diet, he went for a check up on Thursday (sorry, was out all day yesterday so didn't update!) at the vets.

He went in & proudly got on the scales after the vet had told him how well he looked & she could see he had lost weight - the scales read the same weight! His harness is a bit looser & I thought he would have lost something! :jawdrop: The vet was speechless - couldn't understand it! So we got him off & she turned the scales off then on again. She then pressed to reset button at LEAST half a dozen times to make sure it was zero'd then asked him to get on again!

This time, the scales showed he has lost 3.2kg, about half a stone! :D

I told her he had started to beg for food and had developed dry skin here & there but she told me to persist on the Purina for another 3 weeks & he should start to settle down. She also lowered his Purina intake from 335gm a day to 329gm - probably about 10 little pieces of kibble! But we'll stick to it & go back on 5th Jan to see how he is doing again.

I just can't grasp how he is eating more now of a kibble that is wheat based (so is a temp filler) than he was on a varied raw diet yet is losing weight ........ can anyone enlighten me?

I just can't grasp how he is eating more now of a kibble that is wheat based (so is a temp filler) than he was on a varied raw diet yet is losing weight ........ can anyone enlighten me?

I would guess that the Purina, with fillers, is not absorbed as well, plus the fillers get passed out.

We've had Zoya on Diamond Natural Lamb and Rice Light for two months. She has lost about 5 pounds.

Sent from my HTC Desire using forumrunner.

:congrats:

I'm no nutrionalist, But I would imagine its something to do with wheat being harder than raw meat for the stomach to digest, therefore less is absorbed by the body, also more wheat will probably mean less fat and less protein, and obviously fat will add weight and protein will build more muscle which will also add more weight.

Keep us posted :D

• 2 weeks later...

well, back for his weigh in today - we were hopeful after all the recent comments from people who had not seen him in a while that he'd visibly lost weight ............ he put on 1.2Kg! :jawdrop: He has had nothing different!! The only thing is he has had more long walks than usual as we have been off work over Christmas so more chance for longer strolls in the day. The vet thinks it could be muscle gain causing the increase so I have to measure his chest & his waist now & again when he's due to go back in 4 weeks :shrug: