My foster boy.....and advice appreciated

Marley & Lumikkis Mummy

Ok I have a new foster boy here (Huskamute by the look of him).

He is a very big lad (bigger than Bear) and absolutely gorgeous, very well mannered. Very well behaved, esp round the kids BUT he isnt good around my pack.

He will walk with Bear, Bear in front and him behind and will let Bear sniff (Him in front and Bear behind) but as soon as we stop he goes for him. He growls and snarls and even got a grip of Lumi. I put him in his crate next too Bears and he was just growling and snarling at him. Although his tail is wagging so im pretty confused. Anyway any advice welcome and here he is....

Edited to add........Ben (foster boy) is neutered

post-10582-0-58930900-1371031708_thumb.j

post-9358-0-30701300-1371036237_thumb.jp

post-9358-0-15494100-1371036550_thumb.jp

post-9358-0-51271200-1371036624_thumb.jp

post-1354-0-98778700-1371045110_thumb.jp

post-3555-13586007464476_thumb.jpg

post-3555-13586007464907_thumb.jpg

post-3555-13586007466621_thumb.jpg

post-3555-13586007467032_thumb.jpg

post-3555-13586007467421_thumb.jpg

Sorry no advice about settling a Male into the pack but hope you can get things sorted soon. I suspect he'll need a little while to settle into your house and find his place in the pack. Just supervise all interaction and be ready to separate them if need be is the only advice I can give

Edit Ben looks a lot like Polee in some of the pics

Didn't they orginally say he was a Husky x Akita? (the first pic does kind of look Akita(ish) ) if so it may explain the aggression.

Though I would put it down to new environment, new dogs, new life style etc

how is Bear reacting to all of this?

and btw he is a beautiful boy and awesome job fostering! :D

oooh a Husky-Akita cross? Well that explains the slight dog-aggressive behavior (and the polar bearish look hehee I just LOVE polar bears) don't you think? I honestly believe that Akitas should always be kept as an only dog, but hey this one has a husky in him! Maybe he's just settling in with the new environment

There are always reasons for a dog showing aggression, the more likely cause in this instance will be fear and insecurity rather than out right dog aggression. A dog that is dog aggressive will give no quarter and would not even tolerate another dog in the same room.

Fear based aggression is easier to deal with, there isn't a quick fix, it's very difficult on a forum to address this without seeing the dogs interact.

a dog that attacks a puppy of the opposite sex that young isnt right, make sure the rescue only rehome him as an only dog.

Me personally, he would be out of there, he looks a big dog and could easily kill a puppy, so he would be gone. BUT i dont have the space to seperate them completely, if you do it may be doable, but stressful

Keep with the walks together, and invest in a muzzle (best thing i did for Diesel, by the end of the day he could be around them with no muzzle), get a cage type so you can give treats through it and he can still drink :)

Hi, I'm currently fostering a 9 month old male Sib, he's been with us since he was 4 months old & has fitted well into our pack apart from a few instances at the start, when our Nouska wasn't too pleased at having a young puppy in the house again, she was fine after about 5 days, I think she realised he wasn't going anywhere...

Anyway, I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary with your foster dog to be honest, male Sibs will try to assert their authority when they get to a certain age & if your pack Alpha is weak, then he'll take over that role, it's natural... our foster is trying it now but our Noushka just beat him down, even tho he's almost as big as her, he's not got the experience & know how when it comes to fighting yet... :huskyfall:

In a pack, whether it be Huskies, Wolves or Loins, they have to find their own way, getting in the middle of it may end with you getting hurt yourself, the dogs will sort themselves out & then it'll be happy families from then on:dog3:

Anyway, I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary with your foster dog to be honest, male Sibs will try to assert their authority when they get to a certain age & if your pack Alpha is weak, then he'll take over that role, it's natural... our foster is trying it now but our Noushka just beat him down, even tho he's almost as big as her, he's not got the experience & know how when it comes to fighting yet... :huskyfall:

i dont think this is a hierarchy issue, if it was he would single out the top dog in suzannes pack and focus only on him. As it happens he has gone for a young, female puppy!

Sorry but there is nothing normal about a male dog attacking a bitch puppy.