It's winter... and people are not walking their dogs?

persephona

I noticed something interesting ever since the temperature dropped... there are virtually no people walking their dogs on the street!

Maybe the weather is bad... but what about all the dogs? And it's even funnier that owners of small dogs especially tend to be the ones still walking their dogs, with their little coats and all.

Is it the same everywhere, I wonder? Why do people think that just because it's cold outside it's fine to not walk your dog?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not noticed it around here, but an interesting point will keep a eye on it. Bet you are right tho.....If I do not walk mine for at least 2 hrs a day they will tear my house down.

Nobody round here walks dogs of any kind really, so I've noticed no difference to be fair. There were loads of dog walkers out on Herefordshire Beacon on Saturday though, which is a shame as I took Thunder out with me and Lu. I was banking on the bad weather keeping people indoors so that she could see another part of the world other than the pavemnents around here without turning into Hannibal Lecter on a leash and trying to eat every dog she saw! Its horrible having to keep her on a short leash...I see that as defeating the object of going on a big walk. :( At least Lu has had a little snow fix this winter.

I hardly ever walk my dogs D: They pull a lot, hoping the wydwl harness will come soon and work on them :D

However, I did invest a few grand into making a 60x40ft fence out in the backyard. They rough house out there for HOURS! Looking to expand it next year ^^ They also usually get a couple pawtrek runs throughout the week. Both my puppies right now are sleeping, they are well exercised most days, not so much on stormy days. Will be even better now that the doggy door arrived today :3 Their x-mas present.

Out where I live there's only a few people, my aunt walks her dog rarely but she's old and it's a small dog. Apparently my parent's dog runs down to their place in the morning and barks for them to let the dog out so they can play together <3 Cute.

ive noticed it aswell - theres still a few people out and about walking their dogs- as its actually not that cold this winter but ive deffo seen a drop in numbers when it is cold out - poor dogs - mine go out no matter the weather - bings will refuse to go out most nights now ever since bonfire night but we still lead him up n give him the option of coming with us if he wants 2

Haven't noticed it as much here when it's icy I can't take my boys i will be perm on my backside but they still have a good run and play in the back garden.

Cold weather doesn't bother me at all the colder the better i think i was a husky in my past life lol

There are fewer people out and about when I take Kiska on a walk but to be honest I think that's fair enough. Huskies and similar breeds are fine to be out in all weathers but the same can't be said for all dog breeds. I've spoken to a lot of vets before who've all said they get a lot of dogs in during the winter periods that are suffering from hypothermia or pneumonia because their owners still insist on taking their dogs out for long walks in the freezing cold even though they can't handle it. The vet I take Kiska to acually had two dogs die last winter for this reason so I'm more than happy to know that some dog owners are walking their dogs less in bad weather.

I walk D maybe 4-5/7 days a week because it gets so icey around here now (say what you want!)

Gizmo doesnt get walked in the winter, just because its so cold for him, and yes he has a little coat but if he doesnt enjoy it then i dont like the idea of it. and maisy is quite happy laying on the sofa all day asleep so she rarely gets a walk lol

but tbh ive noticed more people take their dogs out, saw LOADS of dogs being walked today and it was freezing here. Dont see anyone walking dogs in the summer really :(

we hardly see anyone while we are out now both of mine still get walked jessie doesnt go as far coz she gets cold but i still do a whole lap of the field with diva on her 50ft lead but ive taken to tieing both the leads together so she can go further if she wants

It's been quieter round my way too where we normally walk. Sabien gets his walks no matter what the weather, he would not be a happy bunny if he did not get his two walks per day. On Sunday though I fell on some ice on our morning walk and both feet left the ground and I landed really hard on my back and head and on the evening he did not want to come out for a walk, just wanted his tea. I think he was embarrassed to be seen with me in case I threw myself on the floor again, lol. He did really well though as I dropped his lead and he did not run off, he just stopped and looked at me as if to say 'what are you doing on the floor?'.

I hardly ever walk my dogs D: They pull a lot, hoping the wydwl harness will come soon and work on them :D

However, I did invest a few grand into making a 60x40ft fence out in the backyard. They rough house out there for HOURS! Looking to expand it next year ^^ They also usually get a couple pawtrek runs throughout the week. Both my puppies right now are sleeping, they are well exercised most days, not so much on stormy days. Will be even better now that the doggy door arrived today :3 Their x-mas present.

Out where I live there's only a few people, my aunt walks her dog rarely but she's old and it's a small dog. Apparently my parent's dog runs down to their place in the morning and barks for them to let the dog out so they can play together <3 Cute.

I think Paw trekking runs are even better than walks....we have a yard also, and when it's warmer, we do walky dog runs!!! The yard is a great place too and they spend lots of time out there running each other ragged!!!:kimba2:

I enjoy it alot more if im not sweating my backside off! Theres something about wrappping up warm and going on a nice walk, just you and the dog... i dunno.... i just enojy it :)

I have a base layer made from wind river, I forget the "technology" they say that is in it, but it prevents you from sweating and keeps you warm. I hated scootering with my old base layers because I would be nasty when I got back (sweat), but now I don't sweat, it evaporates! ... Or something, it's awesome!

I think Paw trekking runs are even better than walks....we have a yard also, and when it's warmer, we do walky dog runs!!! The yard is a great place too and they spend lots of time out there running each other ragged!!!

Pawtrekking is so AWESOME! Poops them out the entire day, I don't even go for long runs, they run for about 15-30 minutes usually running 3-5km and they are done for the day. They will use the bathroom outside, then plop over on the floor and won't budge for the rest of the night. I LOVE IT! I've tried running them two days in a row but they seem distracted so I usually only do two-three runs a week. However, it's getting pretty icy here now so I'm not running them much on it anymore, almost wiped out the other day going down a dirt road that had a very very thin layer of ice that was not noticeable with the naked eye. I just tapped the brake and the scooter started sliding sideways. Sooooo glad I did not lose control, were going about 20km/h at the time.

The dogs going out into the backyard is way better exercise then I could ever give them by just walking, I've walked them for decent amount of times before and it just doesn't tire them at all. Kira and I went for a huge 4 hour hike once, I was drained when we got back but he was ready for more, ha.

Doggy door came today >3 Will be even better soon!!!

I'm planning on making them an exercise wheel to try and get their stamina up, the ones like Martin Buser and Jeff King has. I think my dogs would LOVE it, after they got the hang of it, of course. I'll be happy when I get that done up ^^