eating my entire apartment

yaroni

no matter how disappointed and angry i get at casper, i still end up coming home to a chewed couch

i put the shoes and socks away and puppy proofed as much as i can but a couch is a couch and i dont know what to do

i dont wanna leave him in the balcony cuz its getting cold out, i cant afford a walker even if there was one in my area

My GF comes in around lunchtime for a couple for hours every other day and he still chews it up on those days

help guys, what should I do?

There are sprays you can get that don't taste nice and should put him off chewing it. Also encourage him to chew on his toys, and then when you're out leave them around so he has something he knows he can chew on!

Getting angry at him won't help, if you're not there when he is chewing on the couch and then you come home and get cross at him he won't know it's because he did something he shouldn't. However if you do catch him chewing the couch you can tell him no and move him away so that he starts to learn that it's not to be chewed on!

Other than that you could crate him when you're not there?

Crate train.

Honestly its the best thing we've ever done!!

:ditto:

It could be a couple of YEARS or more before he settles down and Stops the chewing. :o

You say your GF comes every OTHER day? - So he is home alone from 7AM to 6PM 3-4 days a week?

Wow- I am truly befuddled! There is NO WAY you can expect a pup let alone any dog to sit that long alone. It is mental cruelty and he will find something to take his frustration out one way or another.

You are really going to have to think of someone to care for him during the day.

That is a long time to leave your poor baby unatteneded. My girl is a year old and if we leave her in the room for just two seconds, she saws through whatever is closest. My library book was the last thing. You may want to find a dog sitter or a family member to watch him, while your not there.

I agree that 7 till 6 is a very, very long time and you really should look into finding a walker or something.

I don't, however, think a working couple cant have a dog of any breed, including a husky. Myself and my partner both work and my dogs are very happy. To combat the time alone, I come home every lunchtime. I can honestly say they don't make a fuss while i'm there but they do have to go out for the toilet. I know I couldn't hold it for 11 hours....so I cant expect my pups to either.

I know you said you cant afford a walker right now, so maybe look into suitable options until you can afford one but try to have in your mind that thats what you're aiming for. Crate training is a huugge plus! But, a young puppy cant hold their bladder 11 hours and wont want to mess in their crate so could you possibly consider a secure area...like kitchen or bathroom, where theres space for bed and toilet spot.

To combat the boredom....kongs are excellent. Frozen, even better. Also nylabones to chew on. Radio or tv for company.

I agree that 7 till 6 is a very, very long time and you really should look into finding a walker or something.

I don't, however, think a working couple cant have a dog of any breed, including a husky. Myself and my partner both work and my dogs are very happy. To combat the time alone, I come home every lunchtime. I can honestly say they don't make a fuss while i'm there but they do have to go out for the toilet. I know I couldn't hold it for 11 hours....so I cant expect my pups to either.

I know you said you cant afford a walker right now, so maybe look into suitable options until you can afford one but try to have in your mind that thats what you're aiming for. Crate training is a huugge plus! But, a young puppy cant hold their bladder 11 hours and wont want to mess in their crate so could you possibly consider a secure area...like kitchen or bathroom, where theres space for bed and toilet spot.

To combat the boredom....kongs are excellent. Frozen, even better. Also nylabones to chew on. Radio or tv for company.

I agree. Maybe confining him in safe, secure area with pee pads and lots of his toys to preoccupy him would be good. You could use baby gates as a way to section off where he can and can't go.

you guys really think crating him from 7am-6pm is a good idea

btw- lol at the santa hat on caspers head, what a coincidence

That is miles to long to leave any dog alone never mind the fact he is still a puppy :(

Look at it this way crate him he is safe don't and sooner or later he might not be :(

no matter how disappointed and angry i get at casper, i still end up coming home to a chewed couch

i put the shoes and socks away and puppy proofed as much as i can but a couch is a couch and i dont know what to do

i dont wanna leave him in the balcony cuz its getting cold out, i cant afford a walker even if there was one in my area

My GF comes in around lunchtime for a couple for hours every other day and he still chews it up on those days

help guys, what should I do?

without sounding bad mannered can i ask why you got the dog , when you have such time consuming commitments ??

That is miles to long to leave any dog alone never mind the fact he is still a puppy :(

Look at it this way crate him he is safe don't and sooner or later he might not be :(

agree with what dunc says here - we nearly lost Skyla and our house cuz she was chewing - she was a wire chewer - and chewed our fishtank wire - luckily not all the way thru it could have been deadly to her and then endangering to Bings n Blaze and could ov ruined our house aswell

Dunc was the 1 was told me - in very blunt terms to crate her - n its the best thing we ever did she chewed thousands of pounds worth of stuff - which could have been prevented in the first place .

without sounding bad mannered can i ask why you got the dog , when you have such time consuming commitments ??

Don't most dog owners work 9-5?

Honestly i thought it was normal to leave dogs at home while at work. I always leave him plenty of toys, chews etc. and he seems happy, not frustrated when i come home (on the days my GF doesn't walk him).

Honestly i thought it was normal to leave dogs at home while at work. I always leave him plenty of toys, chews etc. and he seems happy, not frustrated when i come home (on the days my GF doesn't walk him).

Hi sorry I don’t know your name … yeah probably people who have dogs do work and are out of the house for hours at a time, but I would have thought they make provisions for their dogs if they live on their own, especially young pups; get a dog sitter in, get another dog for company. I just think a dogs formative years/months are so important for their future development and to be left on their own for 11hrs is such a long time.

And he’s probably so pleased to see you when you do come home he won’t show frustration, but I bet if you were to put a camera up while you were out you would see a sad little pup at times.

I’m sorry if I’m coming across a bit rude, I don’t mean to be, it just makes me feel really sad that a little pup is left without company for such a long time :cry1:

Hi sorry I don’t know your name … yeah probably people who have dogs do work and are out of the house for hours at a time, but I would have thought they make provisions for their dogs if they live on their own, especially young pups; get a dog sitter in, get another dog for company. I just think a dogs formative years/months are so important for their future development and to be left on their own for 11hrs is such a long time.

And he’s probably so pleased to see you when you do come home he won’t show frustration, but I bet if you were to put a camera up while you were out you would see a sad little pup at times.

I’m sorry if I’m coming across a bit rude, I don’t mean to be, it just makes me feel really sad that a little pup is left without company for such a long time :cry1:

It's alright you're not coming accross as rude at all, any help is appreciated especially criticism.

Have any of you tried using a webcam, I'm thinking of putting my laptop on top of my tv and interacting with him somehow, but for the next couple of months casper will be alone 2 days out of the weekday.

I’ve never tried a webcam and I don’t know of anybody that has, but that would be great, might be costly to set up an interactive system. Do you know of anybody who you can trust to spend some time with Casper on the days he will be on his own a friend or neighbour?? I work really long hours on a rota shift basis, some weeks doing 3 24hr shifts a week ,then have 3 days off. I have really good neighbours who adore both my dogs and they dog sit for the full shift for me which I will continue to do until both dogs are older. But it is so important to get that interaction in while he is young, and in developmental stage. Would you consider getting another dog ??

Most owners do work 9-5 yeah but thats 8 hours and the length of time they uselly left when you sleep which is still to long IMO but I understand can not be helped as we have to work but you said 7am-6pm which is 11 hours and like I said is miles to long.

Lets put it this way if you sleep for 8 hours your pup is alone for 19 hours a day :(

I've left my comp on, and pointed my camera at Neeko and Dakota. You can set up a remote desktop program on a smartphone or another work computer so you can check in on them. Just use your other device to turn the camera on your computer on, and it'll come through via the copied screen. I did it a couple of times, but my pups were always asleep really. Facebook and skype both have chat programs that may let you actually talk to your pup though. I'm pretty sure your pup would enjoy that, but you kinda gotta feel bad for not being able to let them out to potty when your getting em all excited! The webcam is definitely doable, but it's worth is questionable. My advice is crate him, plenty of chew toy, and make sure they are fun like a kong or a rope tied to his crate to pull on, and someone just to come in and walk him atleast once while your at work. A neighbor would probably love to play with a sibe pup!! Getting to play with a Husky pup without having to pay for him/her and the shots, food, toys, and chewed up possesions would probably be on my list of thing to do if I didn't have Neeko and Koder! Sorry if I step on anyones toes, but bottome line is leaving a pup alone for too long is a little detramental to the bonding between you and your pup, but leaving them for more than 6 hours without potty time is a little on the cruel side, but you gotta work to eat right? The general rule of thumb is that your pup can only hold his bladder for about an hour or two more than he/she is in months of age, so like a 4 month old can probably hold it for 5 hours. Either way, I hope i all works out, and I hope this post helps. Good Luck!!!!! and Gorgeous puppy!!!!!

While I was SA training Luna I set up a video camera to record what she did when I left and when I watched it back I saw how upset she was when I left. She would run to the front door, then the windows to try & see me and one day she knocked q glass vase off a window sill & cut her pad open. The very next day we started crate training her.

She is never left for more than 4 hours at a time & she gets a frozen Kong every time to keep her entertained, along with a super tough chew toy. We also leave the radio on for her to try & disguise outside noises.

You really must find someone who can visit throughout the day if your girlfriend isn't around.

Good luck!