Ears

Val (Zebedee)

Kavic started scratching his head last night, his left ear. I had a look down it but there is nothing there, no redness, dirt, wax, nothing I could see. I gave it a rub for him & then he was fine.

He has started shaking his head & trying to scratch it again tonight. Again, I have checked, there is nothing obvious, no redness, no smell, discharge, nothing.

I wondered if he has caught it when playing with Myshka as they go for the ears big time, but I can't see any marks or swelling.

I will be calling the vet in the morning to get a check up for his stitches so will also get his ear checked, but any ideas what it could be or what I can do for him? He's stopped it now, he's asleep & not being bothered by it, but for about half an hour before while playing, he'd shake his head & have a scratch then carry on, or walk with his left ear down & his head tilted on that side.

Kavic started scratching his head last night, his left ear. I had a look down it but there is nothing there, no redness, dirt, wax, nothing I could see. I gave it a rub for him & then he was fine.

He has started shaking his head & trying to scratch it again tonight. Again, I have checked, there is nothing obvious, no redness, no smell, discharge, nothing.

I wondered if he has caught it when playing with Myshka as they go for the ears big time, but I can't see any marks or swelling.

I will be calling the vet in the morning to get a check up for his stitches so will also get his ear checked, but any ideas what it could be or what I can do for him? He's stopped it now, he's asleep & not being bothered by it, but for about half an hour before while playing, he'd shake his head & have a scratch then carry on, or walk with his left ear down & his head tilted on that side.

Have you changed his food at all?The reason I ask is that I recently took the husky I rescued to the vet with an ear problem,he was scratching his ears and shaking his head,the vet said it was caused by food allergies and gave me some ear drops.The food I got him on remedied the problem,I don't know exactly what he had been fed previously as he had been passed around a bit.

Otherwise it could be an injury as you said maybe.

Hope you get it sorted out.

There is a 90 degree turn in the ear canal, so without a scope, it's pretty hard to see past the bend. May have some dirt down there, or could have some buildup of wax, causing it to itch.

Sent from my HTC Desire using forumrunner.

Hope he gets well soon :) it might be ear canal infection. If his ears are smelly then yes that might be it. Diamond came with severe ear canal infection on both ears, vet said it happened because Dime's inner-side ear caught up water when he's being bathed. Plus his prev owners don't clean his ears often.

well he's had his ears checked - at first the vet said there was nothing wrong, no inflammation, redness, smell, discharge, nothing down the ear .... stumped!! But then she checked his right ear & when comparing it, said the left ear did now appear to be slightly red but nothing to concern her, if she hadn't checked both for comparison, she would have said there's nothing there. So he is on an ear wash - Cleanaural ear cleaner for dogs; squirt a bit in & wipe out twice a day & recheck when he goes back to have his stitches out next Tuesday.

He didn't like the vet squirting it in though, will have to try & distract him when I do it tonight!! :rolleyes: