Scooter/Blades Training?

Rogue_Wave

OK unless you are REALLY good on roller blades (and we're talking able to leap off ramps and stuff at skateparks type good)

I would not even think about roller blades. Way too dangerous.

Scooters are safer, when used with proper bikejoring attachments and a back and front set of proper brakes.

Cycles (Mountainbikes ideally) either with bikejoring attachments or a Springer or Walkydog attachment even better.

Then onto Rigs (like a scooter but 3 or more wheels).

Anything that needs the bikejoring attachment your dog(s) are going to be out front and need to learn the proper commands for left / right and stop.

There are plenty of experienced mushers here, who will be able to give you the nitty gritty technical info.

However this should give you somethings to think about.

The commands are easiest to train while walking, you can either use the mushing terms Gee, Haw etc. or just use left, right etc. include Halt for a complete stop whatever makes you feel happy. I agree with Andy that using roller blades might be a bit to dangerous unless as he says you are a superb user.

I wouldn't use roller blades personally. My girl is very petite at just 18kgs, and look at the speed she's pulling me on my scooter! (look little vid below)

Stacey xxx

Yeah I forgot to mention that.

Darwin (my boy) has had me up to 25mph on my bike with a walkydog attachment.

If you wipe out at those sorts of speeds on rollerblades you'd best be wearing a full set of Motorcycle leathers, pads and Helmet. :(

I used roller blades with Kodi for a few months and as people have said above it is potenially VERY dangerous. Most of the time I stopped us by hitting the grass and kneeling down, this isn;t very practical but it is really the only way to stop as usual stopping techniques wont work with a husky pulling you.

I gave up the roller blades when Kodi almost pulled me into a road when he saw another dog, I had to hit the deck (on a path) which really hurt. I am quite an able roller blader too as i did it for a few years when I was younger and could do all of the ramps and jumps etc.

I now bikejor with Kodi which is superb! I would say either take up bikejoring or scootering as you have brakes and steering, its going to be a lot safer than roller blading.

Although I bikejor with Kodi, he doesn't know any of the commands. If he doesn't want to run/pull I pedal, if I want to change direction I hold the lead and lead him the way I wish him to go etc.

But it's great fun so for the most important part, enjoy yourself :)

That is offcourse the main thing you and more importantly your dog must enjoy it, you cannot force the dog to like it. esp not a husky :lolman: sometimes mine are just not in the mood to run and will just be a pain in the neck. I just stop go for a walk and try again...

aaaaaand. . . .

We ALL forgot to ask the important question. . . .

How OLD is Rogue ???

You shouldn't start running / working your dog until he's at least a year old.

Until then the bones / joints and ligaments are still growing.

Too much stressful exercise can cause hip and joint problems later on in the dogs life.

However it doesn't become apparent UNTIL later on (but possibly years earlier than it would have naturally)

The pup however will be more than happy to haul you around not knowing the possible damage being done.

I take Orion and Shila for walks and find that the "pulling" Orion does just to keep up with "Gogogo" Shila is enough - and too much, IMO so that I may have to walk them separately as much as that will cause problems.

For training commands, I just work with them as I walk. Mine - for some reason - seemed to know Gee and Haw (seriously, from what I was told Shi's never been in harness yet she knew what they were, so maybe her previous owners got her a bit trained) but it was a work in progress. Now they're good with it. We're working on gee and haw over now (getting them to move right or left to the side of a trail) and to whoa. They know wait already so once they stop I tell them to wait, which... most of the time doesn't work :D so it's going to be a WIP for a while. I'm also starting on gee and haw around so they'll turn around. Once they get that down I'm going to work on stand and leg, so I can get a harness on them and, hopefully, not get them tangled right away. But all this will be done before I even put them on a real scooter.