Update on Shiloh.

Shadowpup

I know there are quite a few people on here that want to be kept updated with Shiloh's progress so here goes. Shiloh hasn't eatten much in the past 2 days I managed to bribe him with some hypoallergenic dog treats yesterday and he took a few mouth fulls of kibble today.

I took him to the vet, he's lost another 1kg so he is now 27kg. He is looking too skinny and it's breaking my heart. I'm waiting on the wainwrites to be delivered because they are taking ages about it due to the xmas rush. They said it will be here by monday and I just got a delivery notice saying it';s been sent. I am going to try him with the wainwrites wet and if it doesn't work the vet has said we will try him on egg and rice hills. He had a shot for a temparture and a shot of antibiotics today as we think he might be poorly which is why he may have seemed depressed teh past few days.

I get paid on the 2nd jan and the surgury opens on the 4th Jan so I will be taking him down to have a giadia (can't spell it) test which I very much doubt he has or all the dogs would have it!! and then also a general bloods test which the vet has surgested. Failing that we will see what the vet surgests next.

Quite honestly I just want to see him get well. I've also been told by the vet that his teeth are under developed which is probably because he isn't digesting the food he's eatting properly. She said it shouldn't cause him any problems right now but it may in the long run.

So as you can see although Shiloh has settled in with us and is happy in himself (when he's not extra poorly) we are very worried about him at the moment.

xx

Blimey, Leah, he really is putting you through it ... why can't it be something that is easily sorted & he can get on with living a happy, healthy life :confused: Poor lad with his ups & downs ....... if something just showed up on a test, you could head in that direction but it's a real mystery at the moment .... you really are pulling out all the stops with this one - I hope the vets can quickly get to the root of what is wrong now, they seem to have tried so much already

Thanks Sid, I have a lot of rice in and I have eggs in too so I'll do that and grab some more. He's not touching his food at the mo so I think it would be good to get something in him, I'll do it for his dinner.

Val: I really wish I knew what it was so we could sort it out. I've spoken to someone else who has a lot of knowlage on the breed and she's given me spesific tests to get done to do with his thyroid as she said thyroid issues with in the breed are

extreemly common. I've called the vet up and asked if she can give me a quote for the thyroid test I'm guessing it's not going to be cheap as it has to go off to Cambridge. But he does exhibit a lot of the symptoms of having an over active thyroid.

hi hun

why not check the price for thyroid and give the guardia a miss and put that money towards the thyroid tests.

guardia is so infectious i'm sure they all would have it.

i know you want to rule things out,but,sometimes i dont think the vets are great at looking which to rule out 1st.

hope he starts picking up soon ...poor fella

I know there are quite a few people on here that want to be kept updated with Shiloh's progress so here goes. Shiloh hasn't eatten much in the past 2 days I managed to bribe him with some hypoallergenic dog treats yesterday and he took a few mouth fulls of kibble today.

I took him to the vet, he's lost another 1kg so he is now 27kg. He is looking too skinny and it's breaking my heart. I'm waiting on the wainwrites to be delivered because they are taking ages about it due to the xmas rush. They said it will be here by monday and I just got a delivery notice saying it';s been sent. I am going to try him with the wainwrites wet and if it doesn't work the vet has said we will try him on egg and rice hills. He had a shot for a temparture and a shot of antibiotics today as we think he might be poorly which is why he may have seemed depressed teh past few days.

I get paid on the 2nd jan and the surgury opens on the 4th Jan so I will be taking him down to have a giadia (can't spell it) test which I very much doubt he has or all the dogs would have it!! and then also a general bloods test which the vet has surgested. Failing that we will see what the vet surgests next.

Quite honestly I just want to see him get well. I've also been told by the vet that his teeth are under developed which is probably because he isn't digesting the food he's eatting properly. She said it shouldn't cause him any problems right now but it may in the long run.

So as you can see although Shiloh has settled in with us and is happy in himself (when he's not extra poorly) we are very worried about him at the moment.

xx

If i'm not mistaken, in ur older post u said that the vet suspect Shiloh has EPI? So that's mean the vet already rule out EPI? Sorry, asking too much...I'm not an expert but maybe u can ask the vet testing shiloh for IBS and IBD. The symptom between this three (IBS, IBD, and EPI) are very similar. I do a lot of reading about this three because of Raven. Either he has a superb sensitive tum or one of this three. I rule out EPI, base of Raven's condition but suspect he has minor either IBS or IBD. Raven had on and off soft poop/pudding poop, gas (almost 24/7), on and off vomiting, occasional stomach cramp.

If not mistaken, there is no med for IBS and IBD, u have to find the right food/diet for the dog. Finally found the right kibble for Raven. It's TOTW pacific stream. He cannot have an empty stomach or too full so Raven it's the first dog that i've ever had having a meal 4 times in 1 day. At 8am (grind kibble mix with a little boiled minced beef), 11.30am (little rice and boiled minced beef), 5pm (grind kibble+minced beef), 8.30pm (rice+minced beef). From the reading, it's said that some dog can't tolerate kibble while some do, some dog has a success story by eating raw, some have to eat home cooked. So it depends on the dog, basically it's trial and error to find the right diet. All these frustrating "thing" clear out when he was around 8 months old. I have to "deal" with it since the first time he came home from the breeder. Always had this three med ready for him: promag, primperan, and buscopan plus. After find the right kibble and feeding schedule...he is healthy now, and can eat almost anything.

It's a little bit tricky regarding EPI. What other EPI dog owner suggest is pig pancreas. It can substitute the un produce enzyme of EPI dog. They said it really helped. They also said that u still need probiotic and enzyme powder. In some hard cases, still need med such as antibiotics,etc.

There r a lot of info about this three (IBS, IBD, EPI,) u can google it so u can have a complete info about it and discuss it with ur vet. Hope Shiloh getting better soon and best of luck...:)

Actually I'd just been talking to a husky breeder about psyllium fiber yesterday. I've just changed Shiloh onto a diffirent diet so I'm going to see how he goes on this. Yes Shiloh has been tested for Enzyme deficiancy and B12 and pancreas disorders. It all came back normal. I'm under the impression that it may well be his thyroid. I am doing some research on psyllium fiber before seeing about trying it out. I'll keep you all updated on him.x

I'm still pulling for a raw diet over here, it's really worth a shot hun. Hope he feels better. I'd opt out of the fecal and just go for the thyroid.

Can you tell my vet that please? She's being really pushy about the fecal and general bloods I'm actually considering asking for the other guy in practice and just streight out asking for a thyroid test. He has just been put on wainwrites wet but if we have no joy with it I will try raw.

Can you tell my vet that please? She's being really pushy about the fecal and general bloods I'm actually considering asking for the other guy in practice and just streight out asking for a thyroid test. He has just been put on wainwrites wet but if we have no joy with it I will try raw.

Sometimes you've just got to put your foot down Hun, Shiloh is your dog not theirs. I'm afraid they're manipulating the situation and trying to push so many tests on you because he is poorly. Not testing where they should be testing.

I actually had a chat from a lady at the dogs trust today, she said that I should try the RSPCA vet as they will probably be cheaper, she said general bloods at their vet cost £40 (they are in a diffirent area not too far away) so I'm going to talk to them tomorrow (they were shut today as it's a public holiday).