The Renaming Rules

mydiamond

So when I was re-checking my future second husky's pic in Facebook earlier today I realized that the pic--posted in the photo discussion section--was titled "my lovely ziebelt" O_O so THAT is his name? Ziebelt? REALLY? O_O well his official name is Axel Zibelthordus von Winter, so it's obvious where is the word "ziebelt" coming from, but... Don't you think it's a weird, hard-to-pronounce name? :confused: I really really think I should rename him to something much easier to pronounce and remember, but the thing is if this boy is coming to my pack, his previous owner will do a monthly visit and--I think--she'll be upset to find that her dog has been renamed. Even though renamed dogs still respond to their old name, but I believe she won't find it amusing to know that her dog's name has been changed. It would appear as if I'm clearly telling her that she made a horrible name >_<

Cast a vote. What should I do?

<the last option in the poll is a typo. Can't find a way to edit it. It's supposed to say: "it's weird,yes. But it only sounded weird bcoz it's in a language we don't speak. So keep the name." >

OK. . .

Once he's your dog. . .

He's YOUR dog

You pay the vets bills / feed / exercise / love and care for him.

Call him what you like.

If the original owner doesn't want his name changed, then he should keep him.

Actually, I think it's kinda cute - think about your Husky and then think about an onion ... zweibel in German is onion, so the just dropped the w to make it easier.

They can be sweet, they add a lot of spice to things, they can make you cry - I'd leave it! :)

In that case don't let your other dogs eat the new one coz Onions are toxic to dogs. :P

yeah but the thing is his prev owner won't like it =\ I'll be more than glad to rename him into "onyx" or something like that if I'm allowed to xD

Andy is right Liv, once hes your dog you should be able to call him what you like. tough crap.

I would however be a bit wary of the old owner visiting, it could hinder his progress and settling and affect his bond with you. He maybe should leave him for a while to settle before he visits.

but personally I believe clean breaks are best for the dog and owner.

Andy is right Liv, once hes your dog you should be able to call him what you like. tough crap.

I would however be a bit wary of the old owner visiting, it could hinder his progress and settling and affect his bond with you. He maybe should leave him for a while to settle before he visits.

but personally I believe clean breaks are best for the dog and owner.

if u want to rename him - rename him hes gonna be YOUR dog at the end of the day - i like Onyx :) goes with diamond really well :)

before we got skyla she was called Roxy

wait till he has settled in first too b4 u let the old owner visit so as not to confuse the poor pup :)

the thing is, it's not about me letting the old owner visit... It's about her deciding to visit :confused: in Ziebelt's free-to-good-home ad, it was clearly written that the old owner will monitor his progress in his new home by paying him a monthly visit. I know it's going to be troublesome, but hey this owner is about to get married real soon ;) so let's hope she's busy enough to let Zie settle in his new home before she paid him any visit =\

OK. . .

Once he's your dog. . .

He's YOUR dog

You pay the vets bills / feed / exercise / love and care for him.

Call him what you like.

If the original owner doesn't want his name changed, then he should keep him.

I like that opinion :rolleyes::P guess I'm going to rename the puppy after all. "Ziebelt" is just... :confused:

Actually, I think it's kinda cute - think about your Husky and then think about an onion ... zweibel in German is onion, so the just dropped the w to make it easier.

They can be sweet, they add a lot of spice to things, they can make you cry - I'd leave it! :)

Fortunately, that's not where "ziebelt" is coming from :P if it comes from a German word for "onion" I won't need to make a thread to rename him :P It's a typo--it's supposed to be Ziebelthiurdos. Ziebelthiurdos is a god of thunder in some infamous myth (yep I googled it LOL)

Fully agree with Andy regardless of what her ad said he's still YOUR dog. Unless you signed a legal contract stating that you couldn't change his name she can go live in a hole if she doesn't like it.

LOL so should I start a thread of new name suggestions? :P Because the entire family hates the name. It's weird, hard to pronounce, hard to remember and hard to spell. Imagine---Ziebelthiurdos?? O.o

As a Dutch name Ziebelt would actually sound very good :D But I understand it's not the most pleasant name to pronounce in other languages. You should be able to rename them, if if she does start to complain... well, what does she have to say about it? It's your dog anyway :confused:

If it was me I wouldn't be happy with her wanting to visit every month, at least not for the first few months. Imagine how confused the dog will be if is suddenly placed in a different house, still trying to settle down and then keep having to see his old owner every time...

We've just fostered a 10 month old pup - we changed his name & within days, he is responding to it & not his original name. Once the dog is with you, it is up to you whether you rename him. She has no right to demand anything from you, from visits to what food you feed, it is your choice & as long as the dog is happy & healthy, she should back off & let the dog settle with you

If u d

So when I was re-checking my future second husky's pic in Facebook earlier today I realized that the pic--posted in the photo discussion section--was titled "my lovely ziebelt" O_O so THAT is his name? Ziebelt? REALLY? O_O well his official name is Axel Zibelthordus von Winter, so it's obvious where is the word "ziebelt" coming from, but... Don't you think it's a weird, hard-to-pronounce name? :confused: I really really think I should rename him to something much easier to pronounce and remember, but the thing is if this boy is coming to my pack, his previous owner will do a monthly visit and--I think--she'll be upset to find that her dog has been renamed. Even though renamed dogs still respond to their old name, but I believe she won't find it amusing to know that her dog's name has been changed. It would appear as if I'm clearly telling her that she made a horrible name >_<

Cast a vote. What should I do?

<the last option in the poll is a typo. Can't find a way to edit it. It's supposed to say: "it's weird,yes. But it only sounded weird bcoz it's in a language we don't speak. So keep the name." >

If u decided to keep the name...just call him Ziggy...:D Dime and Ziggy...i think it's not that bad...:P

before we got kaylo he was called dog, we refused to be calling after a dog shouting dog. the breeder has visited once since aug 10th 2010 till now and that was a few weeks ago he didnt come see him at all, he understood it was better for kaylo to have his family and not have to deal with the seperation over and over again, but when alex did come round a few weeks back kaylo wasnt bothered i think if you just spoke to who it is your getting "onyx" :P from and help them understand that its in his best interests to help him move on and enjoy his new family instead of settling in all over again they gotta agree if they have his best interests at heart and as for the name the name you have is beautiful if you like that name go for it, its you giving love and care you should beable to get it back from a dog youve named, after all your going to be the one whos there for him no matter what

Bo was called Captain Barbosa before we got him. Ollie was Kashi, then Pasha and now is called Ollie after Oliver Twist as he is always hungry and was a nightmare to walk to begin with because he was such a scavanger and would eat anything that smelt of food. He is your dog and if you want to change his name do so. Both of mine learnt their names quickly and they were both around one year old.

I also think that although the previous owner wants to monitor how he's doing I don't think it will help with the bonding and settling process if she keeps coming over. Why don't you explain this to her and offer to send pictures and updates once a month say for the first six month. Ultimately he will be your dog and I agree that unless you sign a contract to say you agree to do this then you don't have to but it would be better to explain that it is not in the dog's best interest.

Do get the current owner to sign a dated letter to say that she is handing over the dog's ownership to you as you don't want to be put in a position where she changes her mind later on.