Sasha escaped!!!

Donna-Sasha

What a scary morning!!!! Let sasha out in the garden as I normally do every morning, made my coffee and then called her in for her breakfast but there was no sasha in the garden!!!!

Raced around throwing some clothes on and realised somehow the gate had been unlocked whilst we were asleep (how is still a mystery to me). Then the search began. Luckily she hadn't gone far and was outside the neighbours house but when sasha isn't on her lead she has no intention of coming back to me at all. Half an hour later and I have finally caught her and she is now safely home.

I need some tips in getting her to come to me when she is off lead because at the moment she won't. I have tried treats but she just isnt interested!

Just glad I've got her home safely :-)

What works with mine, some training needed to be done, is using pebbles in a tin and rattling it their curious minds just wants them to see what I have in the tin and they come back to me.

What works with mine, some training needed to be done, is using pebbles in a tin and rattling it their curious minds just wants them to see what I have in the tin and they come back to me.

Thank you. I will give that a try in the garden and see if she does as I don't want to be chasing her as she sees that as a game!!

Smellier treats! Luna will do anything for a James Wellbeloved Lamb & Rosemary treat and they stink!!

I will have a look out for them as I'm waving all her treats, ham and chicken at her and she just looks at me as if I'm stupid lol!!!!

Just want to try everything possible to get her to take notice and come back :-)

So glad she is back safe and sound :) such a worrying time.. Just like kids when they go out of sight and your heart sinks.

I know, never shakes so much ever and had to stop a couple of cars to slow them down so she didn't get hit. Sasha is not happy that I'm supervising her in the garden at the mo though so Im hoping she knows she has been naughty!!

What a scary morning!!!! Let sasha out in the garden as I normally do every morning, made my coffee and then called her in for her breakfast but there was no sasha in the garden!!!!

Raced around throwing some clothes on and realised somehow the gate had been unlocked whilst we were asleep (how is still a mystery to me). Then the search began. Luckily she hadn't gone far and was outside the neighbours house but when sasha isn't on her lead she has no intention of coming back to me at all. Half an hour later and I have finally caught her and she is now safely home.

I need some tips in getting her to come to me when she is off lead because at the moment she won't. I have tried treats but she just isnt interested!

Just glad I've got her home safely :)

The main thing is you got her back safely,that we can be thankful for. Yes, I know just how your heart sinks and that sickening feeling in your stomach as your heart races with "what to do", but in that instant is when to be most decisive and cerebral. I have had LOTS of luck, our boy Czar Demon has never been offlead outdoors in his life, except on the 7 occasions where he got loose. Sometimes he broke his harness, other times the snaplink from the leash came off his harness, and once, he broke a tie-out while we were in the backyard with him and we were occupied doing yardwork.What worked with us was to IMMEDIATELY start praising him with things like "gooood boooy" and other nicely toned words effectually rewarding him right off the bat-and he came to us! It is a useful tool to use if Sasha gets away again-strong-smelling treats are always handy, too, but in a pinch, when you don't have any on hand as often times happens when they escape, the reward method worked for us. Soooo glad to hear you got her back safely!!!

The main thing is you got her back safely,that we can be thankful for. Yes, I know just how your heart sinks and that sickening feeling in your stomach as your heart races with "what to do", but in that instant is when to be most decisive and cerebral. I have had LOTS of luck, our boy Czar Demon has never been offlead outdoors in his life, except on the 7 occasions where he got loose. Sometimes he broke his harness, other times the snaplink from the leash came off his harness, and once, he broke a tie-out while we were in the backyard with him and we were occupied doing yardwork.What worked with us was to IMMEDIATELY start praising him with things like "gooood boooy" and other nicely toned words effectually rewarding him right off the bat-and he came to us! It is a useful tool to use if Sasha gets away again-strong-smelling treats are always handy, too, but in a pinch, when you don't have any on hand as often times happens when they escape, the reward method worked for us. Soooo glad to hear you got her back safely!!!

When I finally caught up with her she was sniffing at a tree so I did say "good girl" but I'm not sure if she was listening or just too interested in the smell! I will defiantly try that approach again though as now u say that it might have been what worked. Thanks :-)

When Darwin gets out, or off his lead. This is what we do.

Before you run out grab a tin of tuna or something you know should tempt them.

Once you have them in sight DON'T chase them.

It's a game they'll let you get close enough then run off again.

Call to them to get their attention, shout whatever you normally say when you're going to feed them

That definitely grabs their attention.

Then simply sit down on the ground and pretend to eat whatever is is you brought with you.

They should then come running over to see what it is you've got for them to eat.

wave the treat / food around a bit so they get the scent then slowly reach out and take hold of their collar when they are close enough.

When Darwin gets out, or off his lead. This is what we do.

Before you run out grab a tin of tuna or something you know should tempt them.

Once you have them in sight DON'T chase them.

It's a game they'll let you get close enough then run off again.

Call to them to get their attention, shout whatever you normally say when you're going to feed them

That definitely grabs their attention.

Then simply sit down on the ground and pretend to eat whatever is is you brought with you.

They should then come running over to see what it is you've got for them to eat.

wave the treat / food around a bit so they get the scent then slowly reach out and take hold of their collar when they are close enough.

Yep, that's what I did the time Blue got out on his own. Found him on the main road eating a dead bird so just sat there tapping the tin of tuna on the floor saying "what's this then" and pretending to eat it "mmm, tasty" and all sorts... the bin men on the road thought i'd landed from Mars but it worked. I now make sure i've got a tin of tuna with a pull top lid so I can really open it instead of pretending - you can't really carry a tin opener as well LOL!

Best of all, you got her back :D

I like Andy's idea about pretending to eat whatever you bring out to coax the dog back. We've been fortunate, and Jack has only gotten out once, and went to play with another dog walking on the path. We were grateful the human was okay with this, as most of the people go the opposite direction when they see us coming...bringing Andy out with me and hoping Jack would come to play with him helped. Every time we got close enough to grab him though, he would jump back. We finally got him by the tail! It wasn't easy. Glad that she came back with you. Definitely put a padlock on the gate. We have all of ours locked. Worried Jack will just knock down a fence panel because he bounces off the fence when seeing another dog on the path! It's a scarey experience and one most of us have gone through at least once! Tuna is a good coaxer....good idea!:kimba2:

I agree with the tuna, I use to do this trick to get Kira to eat when he was a fussy eater. I've been lucky, any time they have got off I have been able to slowly walk up to them while they were sniffing or they came back after a two minute run.

Does your dog like squeaker toys? Grab one and get within eye sight and squeak it once, if it gets their attention wave the toy around squeaking it. My dogs would come running to any kind of a squeaker toy.

glad u got her back - have u tried calling her in an excited voice n running away so she thinks its a game and chases u?

I tried that and waved my arms around as that's what we were taught in the obidence class we attend but she just stared at me so then I started to run home and she ran the opposite direction lol!!

I agree with the tuna, I use to do this trick to get Kira to eat when he was a fussy eater. I've been lucky, any time they have got off I have been able to slowly walk up to them while they were sniffing or they came back after a two minute run.

Does your dog like squeaker toys? Grab one and get within eye sight and squeak it once, if it gets their attention wave the toy around squeaking it. My dogs would come running to any kind of a squeaker toy.

She is not interested in squeaker toys at all but am defiantly gonna try the tuna as she does love it :-D