Suka pulled me down!

Elyse

Story time! :

I tested out my walking belt today.

I started to jog, then all of the sudden he saw a pole and was all "OMG! I WANT TO PEE ON THAT!!!". So, he took a very sharp left...completely taking me by surprise because he was very angelic up until then.

I managed to hit the 'quick release' buckle on the belt, but I fell over anyways because I hit it too late (hey! Everything went so fast!). I landed on both of my hands and my right knee, cause I didn't want to break my face on the curb.

I was on the ground, in pain, for only a minute or so until somebody drove past and stopped. Before that, though, Suka must have peed on that damn pole 4 times on each side. He looked at me as if to say 'WTF are you doing down there!?'.

So, a car stopped (it was a side-street), and 2 women went out. One of them helped me up and took him off of my belt, while the other cleaned up my hands (they were all muddy - it was a wet day today!). They offered to drive me home, but I said I was fine and that I was only shaking from the adrenaline and the walk wasn't that far. After offering a few more times, they drove away.

I took pictures when I came home, after my family stopped fussing at me and saying buying the Canadog walking belt was a bad idea.

Here are my battle wounds. It still hurts and I've been home for 20 minutes.

My left hand, on the palm/wrist area.

post-2519-13725407062182_thumb.jpg

My right hand; palm/wrist area.

post-2519-13725412961086_thumb.jpg

Right hand; knuckle area.

post-2519-13725413149429_thumb.jpg

Right knee (turn your head!)

They hurt a lot worse than they look - they're all red. Already put bactine on them, and I'll put more on later.

I think it mostly was my fault - cause I just started to jog at that point so he must have been excited and then wanted to pee on THAT pole.

(Ugh! My right hand! How am I gonna play Skyrim now!?)

post-3404-13586008736413_thumb.jpg

post-3404-13586008742791_thumb.jpg

post-3404-13586008748917_thumb.jpg

post-3404-13586008755184_thumb.jpg

Thanks everybody for the well wishes! :)

Yeah, thinking of selling it now. I don't think Canadog will take it back, considering it's all muddy. It's not damaged, just really muddy and the stain's set-in by now.

Ahahah! Scored it for christmas, did you?

That I did. Already level 24, and I haven't been playing that often. Got it for PC, so I can download mods for it.

Ouch; hopefully you heal up quick.

I'm still going to get my walking belt - haven't got it yet - even though having both dogs on it will be a risk I'm sure. But I've learned that my shoulders just can't take having them on their own leads and one for each hand and I'm constantly shifting the single leash from one hand to the other just so I don't mess up my shoulders.

Urg; I need my scooter or something for them to clip on to soon or I won't have a body left for them to go out with! :P

Ouch - my sympathy! I love my walking belt, though I prefer one or two dogs at a time to three. Three are just a little too strong for me when they decide that we should run - and they do decide that running is the thing to do. Some of them aren't too bad about it; any speed faster than a walk is good. Angel and Jazz, though, would really do me damage if I had them attached to me - if I started to run, they'd pull me just a little faster. If I sped up to avoid being dragged, that would, once again, be their cue to go faster yet! :P

Sometimes I regret getting Suka, and I wouldn't have gotten him knowing he's dominant!

He pees on any vertical object he can find, and while I work on trying to stop that...my Mom's a complete pushover and lets him pee on EVERYTHING when she takes him out...which is more often than myself because I'm at university.

I brought this up with her and told her to help me out and to be consistent, but she said she can barely walk him now...she's scared because he pulled her over 3 times in the past 2 years! It's amazing how much he can pull...him being around 76 pounds and my Mom being around 225 pounds!

The first time: He wanted to kill a cat...that one was the worst one because it almost broke her arm...her arm had to be in a cast for MONTHS, it hurt constantly, and there was nothing the hospital could do because it was soft-tissue damage. She still doesn't have her full strength back in her arm.

The 2nd and 3rd times weren't as bad and she wasn't hurt as much.

Glad to read you are doing better, this is my fear with Kobi tbh, he would make a great sled dog :D

(I edited my post above, if you didn't notice.)

You think Suka would be a good sled dog? I don't know, he's pretty dominant...and he's too old, anyways! Maybe he was a sled-dog (or at least pulled things for a hobby) before I adopted him.

You must have edited as I was reading! But no I meant Kobi would make a good sled dog (in his mind anyway)!

Kobi is tough normally but when icy its worse, I check him, keep lead relaxed, stay patient etc but so far he just walks pretty well for a few days then normal pulling me over service is resumed.

You must have edited as I was reading! But no I meant Kobi would make a good sled dog (in his mind anyway)!

Kobi is tough normally but when icy its worse, I check him, keep lead relaxed, stay patient etc but so far he just walks pretty well for a few days then normal pulling me over service is resumed.

Yeah, Suka usually walks loose-leash...and the only times he pulls are when he wants to pee on things...which is all the time now. He used to be so good. :(

I walked Kobi tonight with a no pull harness on a longer leash with his martingdale on a longer leash so that when he pulled the harness would check him first, my son was amazed at how relaxed Kobi was, the test is tomorrow when we do our long morning walk with lots of distractions.

Our old boy Akuma pulled for about a week and after getting a halti never pulled again, he was big like your Suka, now I realise we were spoiled lol

I walked Kobi tonight with a no pull harness on a longer leash with his martingdale on a longer leash so that when he pulled the harness would check him first, my son was amazed at how relaxed Kobi was, the test is tomorrow when we do our long morning walk with lots of distractions.

Our old boy Akuma pulled for about a week and after getting a halti never pulled again, he was big like your Suka, now I realise we were spoiled lol

That's a good idea! I don't have a harness, though, as I'm always afraid he'll pull me like a sled!

I tried a halti (Gentle Leader) too, but it didn't work. Suka kept on pulling and I could tell he was hurting himself, so I returned it. His desire to mark his territory is just too strong, lol!

That's a good idea! I don't have a harness, though, as I'm always afraid he'll pull me like a sled!

I tried a halti (Gentle Leader) too, but it didn't work. Suka kept on pulling and I could tell he was hurting himself, so I returned it. His desire to mark his territory is just too strong, lol!

Kobi sounds very similar, he seems to build a tolerance up, we are just carrying on in the hopes of finding a combination that keeps him calm enough for us to do some positive reinforcement!

They are little scamps lol

Kobi sounds very similar, he seems to build a tolerance up, we are just carrying on in the hopes of finding a combination that keeps him calm enough for us to do some positive reinforcement!

They are little scamps lol

The thing I find works well (for now), is that I tighten his martingale collar all the way (it's not super tight not him...I can still fit about a finger and a half's width), then put it just below his chin and behind his ears instead of having the collar being worn as a 'necklace'. Then, when I jerk to the side for a correction, he responds to it much better because:

a) The collar is tighter so he can't just ignore the correction

B) The collar is placed on the weakest part of his neck, so instead of being near the chest where they are the strongest. When its up high on his neck, I think he already KNOWS...because he actually stays in the heeling position! But, then it always slips back down and he resumes his rampage of scent-marking and pulling-to-get-there.

We started using a martingdale after you suggested it on another thread (thank you), it does help and like you I've got it a bit tighter, he does respond well to the check but it doesn't work on its own, the halti was all wrong for him and causing him pain so we stopped it and the WYDWL harness seemed amazing for about 5 minutes.

We seem to get into a battle of wills, my problem is lack of physical strength for this rather than mental strength. It's not good so I've been looking for a way to walk him on a longer lead without him taking me for a run. Once we can do this I feel we can achieve better results from training and both enjoy the walks more.

He is currently lying upside down in his basket looking like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.

We started using a martingdale after you suggested it on another thread (thank you), it does help and like you I've got it a bit tighter, he does respond well to the check but it doesn't work on its own, the halti was all wrong for him and causing him pain so we stopped it and the WYDWL harness seemed amazing for about 5 minutes.

We seem to get into a battle of wills, my problem is lack of physical strength for this rather than mental strength. It's not good so I've been looking for a way to walk him on a longer lead without him taking me for a run. Once we can do this I feel we can achieve better results from training and both enjoy the walks more.

He is currently lying upside down in his basket looking like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.

I'm like you too...I lack the strength to keep him from pulling but I'm more stubborn than the rest of my family which is probably why he listens to me more (most of the time, anyways!).

Which is why the walking belt helped, I know because I used one I 'made' for a good 6 months. It was nice, and I never got pulled down using it! Although, I never tried running with it...I guess I should have. :P