Puppy death prompts woman's Kijiji pet warning

Elyse

Backyard breeders. :duh:

And stupid people for actually supporting them. :duh:

A Dartmouth woman is warning people about purchasing pets from the website Kijiji after a puppy she brought home to her family as a Christmas present died a few days later.

Donna Mombourquette bought an eight-week-old golden retriever-yellow labrador puppy for $100 on Christmas Eve from a woman in Lockport.

But on Wednesday, Buddy  as Mombourquette named him  became violently ill and died.

The veterinarian told Mombourquette that Buddy could have had parvovirus, a disease that destroys the animal's gastrointestinal system.

Mombourquette said she didn't have a good feeling at the seller's home.

"The place was a mess. There was feces on the floor, it wasn't cleaned up and we still, you know, once we saw him and he looked healthy and happy, we brought him back home."

Mombourquette put an ad up on Kijiji Thursday looking for other people who may have bought a dog from the same person. She hopes her story will spare others from the grief her family is feeling now.

"He brought so much love and laughter," said Momborquette.

"I mean, my kids are 18 and 23. They do their own thing, and it was the first time in a long time that we were all together as a family, belly laughing and you know, it just brought everybody together in such a nice positive way and just to have this happen is absolutely devastating."

Veterinarian Dr. Don Slauenwhite recommended that if you are going to buy a puppy from a website like Kijiji that you ask the seller if you can see the other puppies too.

If the dog is coughing or has poor bowel movements, it could be an indication of more serious health problems.

Kijiji has a pets code of conduct for buyers and sellers on its website.

Source: Yahoo! News

I think it may have been on one of the facebook groups around chrsitmas (can't remember properly) but someone bought a puppy off a breeder and it died son after, she messaged all the others who bought puppies from the same litter and the same thing had happened again. ( I think it was parvo but as I said I can't really remember)