Doomsday/2012

Elyse

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not something I'm going to lose any sleep over - pretty unlikely to happen! The significant thing about the solstice date and the Mayan calendar had to do with the sun lining up with the center of our galaxy - how often is there NOT a sun (somewhere) that lines up with the center of our galaxy?

Considering the Mayan descendants don't even view it as the end of the world I don't know why this has become the phenomenon that it is, other than some bizarre obsession with fearing one's own demise. It's a bloody calendar cycle that they calculated. All I know is that it's a long count calendar that covered several thousand years, and now it ends, which implies that a new calendar cycle will begin. And really, if you've been to Mexico lately, they're just planning it as the Mother of All New Year's Parties.

Besides, do we really want to rely on an ancient culture to tell us when the world ends, when they couldn't even predict their own destruction or the coming of the Spaniards?

People murdered their pets and sold off everything they owned in preparation for the Rapture in May, oops! Minor recalculation - October. And all us heathens are still here, sinning alongside the devout followers.

Here's a fun list of failed doomsday prophesies compiled by National Geographic - who is having a ton of fun with the whole 2012 thing.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/11/photogalleries/maya-2012-failed-apocalypses/#/large-hadron-collider-end-world_11454_600x450.jpg

I truly don't get the obsession people have with apocalyptic notions. Know how I prepared for Y2K? Had a new year's party and got rip-roarin' drunk, which was the style at the time. And if we had irrefutable proof that life as we know it on Earth would cease to exist on This Exact Day, how would that change your life? How does wasting your final year wringing your hands and worrying prevent it? Will you quit your job and spend your life savings travelling the world?

This topic really bugs me because my sister is one of those hand-wringers. I have to constantly talk her down because she is absolutely consumed with worrying about the end of the world. She panicked about the Rapture, and now this. It's so stupid. The fact that anyone could be gullible enough to believe this crap makes me worry for our species on an entirely different level.

I personally don't believe any of it...like others have said, there have been many failed doomsday prophecies. And the rapture in May...lol...my Mom was freaking out over that.

I make fun of her all the time by saying: "THE RAPTURE IS COMING TOMORROW! SELL YOUR CHILDREN!"

[ATTACH=full]33294[/ATTACH]

My waterbottle. That'll prove effective. LOL

Here's a fun list of failed doomsday prophesies compiled by National Geographic - who is having a ton of fun with the whole 2012 thing.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/11/photogalleries/maya-2012-failed-apocalypses/#/large-hadron-collider-end-world_11454_600x450.jpg

This topic really bugs me because my sister is one of those hand-wringers. I have to constantly talk her down because she is absolutely consumed with worrying about the end of the world. She panicked about the Rapture, and now this. It's so stupid. The fact that anyone could be gullible enough to believe this crap makes me worry for our species on an entirely different level.

Kind of ironic, as National Geographic has had more than a few apocalyptic-type shows on, although I don't think it's had as many as the History Channel! (Yeah, what HAS happened to history on the History Channel, anyway!?)

You can calm your sister with this quote...

Matthew 24:36

“But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

Kind of ironic, as National Geographic has had more than a few apocalyptic-type shows on, although I don't think it's had as many as the History Channel! (Yeah, what HAS happened to history on the History Channel, anyway!?)

You can calm your sister with this quote...

Matthew 24:36

“But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

Oh, so Harold Camping was outed as a false prophet the moment he spoke the words! I guess not enough of his followers actually read their Bibles!

The calculations for when the long calendar of the Mayans end was all wrong! Scientists (or whatever they are) have corrected their mistake a few years ago and re-calculated it to be somewhere in December 2220! Yet everyone still seems to think it's 2012 :rolleyes:

And besides that, it's just the longest calendar the Mayan has that ends and.. well... start again much like all their other calendars. I know their are many other theories why the world would end in the 21st but these where only 'created' AFTER this 2012 doomsday became a hype.

Last year there where TWO dates where the world would end based on some text in the Bible. And seeing I'm still here typing this it looks like that prediction flawed like pretty much all of them.

When I saw this thread I was going to reply with this, but ya beat me to it :up:

The Mayans simply figured that a calendar that runs for 700 years was enough and that their descendants would simply continue to create new ones as needed. No destruction or conspiracy theories, no Alien destruction, No comets or asteroids.

No sudden reversal of the magnetic poles or mass slippage of the continental shelves.

Just need a new calendar that's all. :P

Oh, so Harold Camping was outed as a false prophet the moment he spoke the words! I guess not enough of his followers actually read their Bibles!

Lol, probably not! I think that like everyone else, they probably just get caught up in speculation, and forget...