Dog Booties questions

p9dyl

Hey all, im away to be investing in some dog botties for our 2 as i do alot of walking on concrete and the paths and roads are really salty at the moment!, I was looking at the Ruffwear Grip trex booties. I see they are more expensive but look much more hard wearing and longer lasting. Has anyone tried them on their dogs? And if so how did you find them?

Also are the cheaper ones long lasting and hard wearing from your experiences?

thanks,

Hey all, im away to be investing in some dog botties for our 2 as i do alot of walking on concrete and the paths and roads are really salty at the moment!, I was looking at the Ruffwear Grip trex booties. I see they are more expensive but look much more hard wearing and longer lasting. Has anyone tried them on their dogs? And if so how did you find them?

Also are the cheaper ones long lasting and hard wearing from your experiences?

thanks,

Depends on the brand really. Ruffwear are expensive, but you're unlikely to need to replace them for a while, but then again, all it takes is for them to lose one by accident and it's wasted money lol. Up to you really!

Stacey xxx

i have tried them on by zorra at a store, she did not like them at all! she goes kicking with her legs, trieing to get them off, and then trie to bite them off, so i did not bought them.

they are verry robust, long lasting, and good flexible, the the point where its needs to tilt the fabric is cut out to make it more easy. the shoes have a good footbed and create gripsole.

my oppinion, in nature they dont wear shoes, so why buy them unnatural things while the foot is "designed" for it ;)

my oppinion, in nature they dont wear shoes, so why buy them unnatural things while the foot is "designed" for it ;)

Because we do things to nature that can cause them harm such as dropping glass bottles, spraying pesticides and spreading harmful grit that can kill them if they lick it.

Booties aren't something you can just put on them expect them to enjoy immediately. You have to show them positive reasons to wear booties and praise them highly.

Stacey xxx

Because we do things to nature that can cause them harm such as dropping glass bottles, spraying pesticides and spreading harmful grit that can kill them if they lick it.

Good point there!:busted:

i always try to do things in a positive way, but this time i know she was not going to like it, i tried it several times, but no luck ;) i could work for yours ofcourse ;):cheerleader:

i am no expert at all, but i'd say they look way too stiff. i use a slightly stretch material so when the dog moves the paw spreads so the booty allows for this.

have you tried mushers secret ? that will provide a barrier against the salt etc

I am planning on getting some mushers secret too, do you just apply that before walks then wash off after walks?

Thanks for the info Stacey, are the cordura quite long lasting?

Glass is the main concern for me, its unbelievable how much broken glass there is on the footpaths!

I haven't had any problems with the cordura ones, but we use them for running on rough surfaces or hiking on rough surfaces. Not sure how they'd stand up against glass. It does have a padded bottom to protect.

We also use Shaw's Paw Wax which is really cheap and coats their paws nicely.

Stacey xxx

The cordura ones come in 3 types of thickness, 330, 500 & 1000 cordura been the heaviest. The 1000 is really stiff but they provide better protection against gravel etc..

I've never used cordura booties but use the cream winterpad or musher secret on their paws.

If glass is a concern you'd be better going for something like the ruffwear skyliner bootie http://www.countryhounds.ie/Product.aspx?ProductID=65&CategoryID=12 they stay on better than the grip trex ones.

• 1 month later...

HI,

I have a problem with my dog paws but more accurately it is about his claws. Diego is 8 months old and he is running for about 1-1.5h every day. I have noticed that his claws looks too scuffed (sorry for my english ;)). We have only asphalt (tarmac) paths, nothing like "soft" ground in woods etc. Should I buy for him some kind of boots or maybe you have other advice? Thanks for your help