Guess what I woke up to this morning?

Michelle Melsom

Ughhh, sounds like you're wanting the snow too... it got freeeezing here the past few days, below 0 temps, and we were forecasted for at least 6 inches.. well, we got maybe 1 inch, just about a dusting... what a tease!:oops:

:o rude lol ye they keep saying it will snow but it keeps raining and we got a dusting a couple days ago but that didnt last for long its been above 0 for...ever now :(

surely all it will mean is you get the floods earlier this year.

My brother lives in Winnipeg, and he dreads the thaw.

surely all it will mean is you get the floods earlier this year.

My brother lives in Winnipeg, and he dreads the thaw.

We had the worst floods in over 150 years this past year - hopefully no repeats this year! It was so bad they were pulling government workers from every available office to help with sandbagging and home salvage operations. My husband has a degree in geography and it was one of my streams in University, so we were both very cautious about where we bought our house! No 200-year floodplains for us!

We had the worst floods in over 150 years this past year - hopefully no repeats this year! It was so bad they were pulling government workers from every available office to help with sandbagging and home salvage operations. My husband has a degree in geography and it was one of my streams in University, so we were both very cautious about where we bought our house! No 200-year floodplains for us!

Yeah, my brother's house is uphill (a couple of hundred feet) of the Assinibione, he always gets twitchy in case there is an extra heavy thaw

The plus side though is that we have very little snow compared to last year. Last year was probably one of the worst winters in recent memory, and that was more what contributed to the flooding than the time of the thaw. This year there is comparatively little snow (still almost a foot is staying on the lawns, despite the warm weather!) but unless we get a brutal February I think we'll do okay!

I went to Winnipeg for the first time several years ago and I couldn't believe the "typical" flooding they get!

LOL yeah, they don't have floodplains they simply have half annual lakes.

I have to admit that as much as I want winter and snow, I really quite enjoyed having sweatshirt weather today! Here in Iowa, it was in the mid 50s (~12.8 C) to around 60 F (15.5 C) down where Mazz is. I keep hearing that the last few winters we've had, where it's been quite cold and we've had lots of snow, have been really hard on wildlife populations, and I have to admit I really haven't seen the number of deer and pheasants I'm sued to seeing! So, I guess I'll be grateful for a milder winter if it will help their populations rebound a little bit - just hope that we get some more moisture a little later in the season, though, or things are going to be scarily dry!