WHY IS SHE STILL SHEDDING!!!

naomiJayne

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was doing my research before getting a husky everything said they don't really shed much but they do blow their coats twice a year.

Kira has had a period of 2 months shed free in the 4-5 months I've owned her.

Oh yes, my comment was more in joking than anything else, but with 9 it seems like a never ending process, it seems that someone is always dropping a little here and there. When it's actually shedding time for everyone you know it...the husky tumble-weeds get huge around here!

Oh yes, my comment was more in joking than anything else, but with 9 it seems like a never ending process, it seems that someone is always dropping a little here and there. When it's actually shedding time for everyone you know it...the husky tumble-weeds get huge around here!

9? I only have one (so far) :P

If I had that many I think I'd give up and start wearing clothes made from hsuky fur :P

No house is complete without dog hair! :)

Suka sheds year-round...although when he blows his coat (which doesn't happen every year... :confused: ) its a LOT more. When I take him to PetSmart for his bi-monthly bath, they take off SO much fur he looks like a completely different dog!

He doesn't mind being brushed...but he starts to complain after 5 minutes and tries to get away.

A little tip...I found that putting some olive oil (or fish oil) over his kibble reduced his shedding and made his coat smoother and softer! Might be something to think about...

Sherlock is the same... I can probably brush him for about 10 minutes before he's squirming and talking back about it. And we do the olive oil in his food too. Plus Omega-3s are supposed to help limit non-seasonal shedding, tho he's just started on those so I can't say if they work on him quite yet.

Since I got Suka 2ish years ago, I've tried to avoid wearing dark clothes. At least, with the white clothes, the hair is hidden!

The same with furniture, carpets and bed covers. I really regret choosing dark coloured carpets - practical, but not when you have a husky!

Ours sheds pretty much year round. He blows coat twice a year and you can definitely feel it, we have to vacuum much often. But this is not to say that the rest of the year it's necessarily easier to maintain a clean, tidy aspect of our home. No matter how much we vacuum, hair is always flying around. I don't care much for it, but some of my friends aren't very happy :)).

We also bathe him pretty often, which I assume helps with the overall amount of hair. Although it's beyond me why our drains seem to be functional still, considering the amount of husky hair they have swallowed.

And yes, we have several lint rollers, at least one in each room.

kobe blows his cote twice a year - once during the fall and again in the springtime. it is NOT a pleasant event to endure. he is an indoor dog, and i have wood floors. i have to sweep up at least every other day, otherwise i would have piles of hair everywhere. i try to brush him every day (which he LOVES) and bathe/blowdry him once the majority of his undercoat is gone (which he also loves). i'm also used to everyone randomly picking his fur off of my clothes, it doesn't bother me one bit!

kobe blows his cote twice a year - once during the fall and again in the springtime. it is NOT a pleasant event to endure. he is an indoor dog, and i have wood floors. i have to sweep up at least every other day, otherwise i would have piles of hair everywhere. i try to brush him every day (which he LOVES) and bathe/blowdry him once the majority of his undercoat is gone (which he also loves). i'm also used to everyone randomly picking his fur off of my clothes, it doesn't bother me one bit!

Every other day? You're lucky! We need to do it every day. It's done in the morning but at the end of the day it looks like nobody has vacuumed in three months :eek:

You would think all the browsing most of us dog owners do on dog sites, that the Vacuum industry would be advertising on those websites with their banner ads and such. Some vacuum company should do an field study and send all us husky owners free vacuums and we could review it for them and they could use the statistics to sell their product! :D

I try to brush Meika everyday while she eats. Makes it so much easier cause shes too interested in her food to care and i have to stand with the dogs anyway to make sure they don't eat each others dinner after they've eaten their own. She really used to hate it but when we got Keeva and she saw how he didn't mind the brush she sees it differently now. Its quite funny how she now tries to get first in line before Keeva to be brushed. Gotta love the competition between those two. I'm always using the lint roller. I reckon it would be on the list of must haves when you own a husky. Now that we have a Dyson Vacuum i don't have to vacuum 4 times a day. I now only have to do it morning and night :)

I gave up caring. My clothes always have hair on them, you can't escape it, when they come out of the dryer they still have hairs stuck in them D: Impossible to get ahead.

you can put a fabric softener square (or whatever they are call, they are white and soft) and it helps bind the fur to other stuff but not your clothes. I never believed it until I tried it

Here is a thought, just turn the heat way down in the house, make it feel like outside, lol last winter Juno kept her very thick coat all winter, this year since winter didnt show up yet she is tossing fur everywhere. The Joy of owning Huskys!!!

I shove my dogs outside for majority of the day, they have a huge fenced in backyard. They still seem to shed like little buggers though, payback for something, I'm sure XD;