Crate Location???

Eman

Hello all.

The family is getting ready for a new addition to our family with a new puppy husky. I have read up on them a great deal and have been reading the forum for numerous tips and advice.

I'm a little conflicted about the location of the crate and where we would expect our pup to sleep in the future.

There are two possible locations where I would like to keep the crate.

1. Is our basement/bedroom. It is open concept and as long as we are downstairs she will have company and will always have someone nearby. I thought this might be a good location, at least initially so the pup may not cry as much. However, I do plan on crating her when we are gone and the basement is dark and does have much activity aside from when my wife and I are downstairs.

2. Is a "cove" on the main floor of the house fairly central to everything. Its bright, well ventilated and honestly in the center of everything in the house. During the day it will be well lit and the pup will pretty much see the rest of the family coming and going on a regular basis from this area. She will be more centralized. However at night she will be all alone.

I've heard that moving the crate after some time from one area to another may not be a good idea, so I'd much rather just pick one spot and leave it there.

Any suggestions?

I tried leaving Mrius crate in the living room near the window but he did not like it one bit it had to go in the bedroom near our bed. That is a pretty hard decision tho as there is good points to both. My OH is disabled so hes home all day and Marius usually is not crated he does get crated when we go shopping tho. Its in the bedroom but the cats are running around so mebbe thats stimulation for him :P

If you plan on crating for sleep and when you are away, I would put the crate near or in the bedroom. Otherwise, I'd go for two crates; one in each location.

Sent from my HTC Desire using forumrunner.

First few nights we tried putting it in the living room and me and mum stayed downstairs to help him settle in. About 5 nights in we moved it into the kitchen with the other dogs to keep him company and he whined a bit, but he settled in a few nights after that. But i have more than 1 dog so it was pretty easy to decide where it would stay. It'd still be in the kitchen if he was an only dog, i think it would just take a bit longer for him to settle down. Sorry, im not alot of help

Once my sibes where house trained I then taught them to sleep on there beds, they stay there and that'd it!

We've had Marakai coming up 2 weeks now and he has even learnt it and wasn't loo trained when he came into our family, he's a quick learner.

I don't own a crate anymore.

Currently my "dining room" is a kennel room. LOL! This will change eventually, but for now the dining room works just fine. My ultimate dream that we are working toward is building a large shop and converting the current garage into a dedicated dog wing. It's insulated and unfinished right now, so its a blank canvas for husky proofing :)