What Heartworm/Flea med. do you use?

Damien

For Heart worms we are using Interceptor, and for the Flea we were using Comfortis (Which is a chewable treatment). The Comfortis didn't seem to work all that well so we've switched Damien over to Advantage Multi and its been perfect ever since! Just curious to see what everyone else has their Sibes on.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We treat fleas, heart-worm, and the normal gut worms, are fav treatments so far have been:

Frontline for fleas:

http://frontline.uk.merial.com/

and

Stronghold >> which also prevents heartworm:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_47_54&products_id=1627

We use Advocate now, for fleas and heart-worm, hook-worm, whip-worms:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=775

And Milbemax worming, should be given monthly until 6 months when you can give it every 3 months (however do double check over in Florida), it covers tons of worms in the current country, heart-worm, all the gut worms:

http://www.wormfree.co.uk/milbemax_pet_cat_dog_wormer/en/

Weve used all of the afore and had great results, never got fleas and have always been de-wormed successfully >> highly reccamended by vets. The only reason we stopped using frontline is our vets said heart-worm was on the rise in the UK, that snails, slugs and foxes carry it >> so its wise to double the dosage on their systems, so by using Advocate, they get protection monthly and then their big worming tablet every 3 months!

I do hope this has helped and that the treatments are available over where you are! Im sure if you double check with yor vet they will give you the best advise:)

How much are you guys paying? All the stuff I get Damien seem to be outrageously high even from our vet.

Worming for my two 1 year old sibes:

Boy who weighs 25.2kg >> little burger is just over the limit needs 2 worming tabs every 3 months= 12

Girl weighs 19.6kg only needs 1 tab every 3 months= 6

Flea, they both get the 20.1kg and over (as it doesn't hurt as my girl is almost there), cost roughly 20 for them both every month.

Heartworm is here in the UK so it is good your using it, suprised other members on here arent!?! What do your vets say guys? My vet warned me to use a flea+worm treatment that treats it..........?

What do you pay over in Florida?

Wasnt treating Heartworm cause didnt know I could, but for Flea treatment I use Advocate and for worm treatment I use Drontal plus.

Advocate I have apply to Grey once every month (got 4 doses in pack)

Drontal plus I have to give 2 tablets every 3 months ( Got 4 doses in pack)

I cant remember how much I paid but I think that all came under 20 at the vets but have to go back for more as Grey's next dose will be due end of Aug so need to get more plus get him weighed to see if the dose goes up cause he is more heavy now. Will defo look into that heartworm treatment for Grey :D

LOL... oh I feel so stupid now :crazydance: just looked at the box LOL :D

Im not sure how much he weighs now? but when I got his treatment it was when we rehomed him (back in April he was 7 months old) and the box then said> weight 10kg-25kg wouldnt have a clue now what he is...? he 10 months now and has obviousley put on weight but couldnt say...?

LOL... oh I feel so stupid now :crazydance: just looked at the box LOL :D

Im not sure how much he weighs now? but when I got his treatment it was when we rehomed him (back in April he was 7 months old) and the box then said> weight 10kg-25kg wouldnt have a clue now what he is...? he 10 months now and has obviousley put on weight but couldnt say...?

lool:o no worries, im always curious to ask as everyones sibes weigh diff and look diff:p He looks like a big boy for 10months tho:)

We use Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks. No issues so far. For heartworm, we used to use HeartGard Plus, but Zoya likes bunnies, and they carry tape worms. So we've switched her over to Iverheart Plus Max to ensure tape worms are not a problem. HeartGard also fends off round worms. Iverheart fends off round, hook, and tape worms.

We use Advocate, it works against most parasites, but most importantly lungworm. lung worm is very prevelant in this area of surrey according to our vet. slugs and snails are the main carriers, and micha used to chew slugs when she was younger.

lool:o no worries, im always curious to ask as everyones sibes weigh diff and look diff:p He looks like a big boy for 10months tho:)

Since getting Grey he looks much better and has put on weight cause when we first got him he defo was looking on the slim side. But the everytime we see the vet I always ask is grey over or under weight and the vet always says he is perfect ( I always think he could do with a little more fat tho but that just what I think :P ) Every Husky Iv seen as always been chunky and very fluffy Long hair but Grey aint like that but I guess you get different builds of sibes.

Take a look at some of my videos & pics of grey and you will see how big he is. When he is next to other Males he looks small but I guess he still has a little more growing to do as he is only 10 months and the other males are any age between 2-3 years that we have bumped into.:)

I've heard there is no heartworm in the UK, must be nice! :P

I use K9 Advantix for flea/tick for both my dogs and never had a single flea, tick or mosquito on them. For my sibe I use Iverhart Max for heartworm, hooks, rounds and tapeworm since he like to eat wild rodents. And for my Chi I use Interceptor for heartworm, hooks and roundworms since it comes in smaller doses for her smaller size.

Val >>> there is heart-worm in the UK unfortunately, according to my vets!

Hmm, good to know. In certain areas of the US it is not prevalent and they do not treat it there either. I used to live in Northwestern Washinton state (US) and they do not test for heartworm nor do they prescribe heartworm prevention there. I have my two on it now that I am currently living in FL (US) which is the mosquito capital with a higher incidence of heartworm. But I may be moving back to NW Washington state soon and may not have mine on HW prevention much longer. The vets over there just don't want to write a scrip for HW despite my concern and wanting them on prevention 'just in case'. *sigh* :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

I use Advocate which covers the heart worm as well, both Storm & Shadow need just one medium sized pipette once a month

Like others, my vet told me heartworm is here in the UK carried by slugs and snails so they should be treated for it

Does anyone use Trifexis? It covers heart worms fleas and ticks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Recently switched to Trifexis. It does not, however, have any impact on ticks. Trifexus does have a tick collar though.

Sent from my HTC Desire using forumrunner.