What Heartworm/Flea med. do you use?

Damien

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently have Aya on the puppy worm syrup and as she is reaching six months of age I will be switching to drontal puppy worming (10kgs), is this okay? I haven't used it yet, but Aya weighs roughly 13kgs so one chewable per 3 months or should I use drontal plus a smaller chewable/tablet to ensure weight-ratio (as in each kilogram should be accounted for). Also, I think I might have been tricked ... everyone seems to be treating heartworm, my vet said one injection should last six months so I gave her a heartworm injection. Does this work? She doesn't have fleas anymore, but when she did I used Frontline.

I currently have Aya on the puppy worm syrup and as she is reaching six months of age I will be switching to drontal puppy worming (10kgs), is this okay? I haven't used it yet, but Aya weighs roughly 13kgs so one chewable per 3 months or should I use drontal plus a smaller chewable/tablet to ensure weight-ratio (as in each kilogram should be accounted for). Also, I think I might have been tricked ... everyone seems to be treating heartworm, my vet said one injection should last six months so I gave her a heartworm injection. Does this work? She doesn't have fleas anymore, but when she did I used Frontline.

I have heard of the six month heartworm injection. My vet does not offer this; not sure if it's because it has not been approved for use by the FDA/USDA or if our vet does not offer it for some other reason. The convenience would certainly be a plus. With the monthly pills, you have an overlap, so if you forget and pass a few days before you remember, it's not usually a problem. Don't know what overlap window, if any, there is with the injection.

Worming a puppy or dog, should be done once per the instructions, then repeated 21 days later, per the instructions, in order to break the cycle between egg and larvae. If you worm once every three months, and don't do the 21 day followup treatment, the cycle will not be broken. Might want to discuss this with your vet.

• 1 month later...

What we are now getting in the UK is French Heart Worm, commonly known as Lung worm. It is not the Heart Worm as such but just as dangerous. Very prevalent in the South East and spreading...........Ron