Behaviour unusal or normal ??

Shrekkie

I have noticed alot of our dogs sleep on there back does any11 know why they do this ????

also when we are out on our walks and he sees other dogs approaching he will hunk down really low so hes almost on the floor and crawl towards the approaching dog but hes never nasty ...Why does he do this???

it must be ahusky thing on their backs with their legs in the air and other weird positions lol.. the walking thing sounds like submissive behaviour.. i am sure one of our resident experts will be able to be give more information

the walking thing sounds like submissive behaviour.. i am sure one of our resident experts will be able to be give more information

how old is your boy? my boy is weird as in he is fine on lead with other dogs until we get in the pack at HO meets where the boys all want to be top dog lol. But he has also been on his back submitting to a mally bitch lol

he went 1 on the 1st of december......he weird the way he hunkers down low and approaches other dogs (not all dogs ) crawling almost......lol there a malamute bitch we pass most days they have kinda become best of friends n when she sees him comeing she lies down on her back

I have noticed alot of our dogs sleep on there back does any11 know why they do this ????

also when we are out on our walks and he sees other dogs approaching he will hunk down really low so hes almost on the floor and crawl towards the approaching dog but hes never nasty ...Why does he do this???

all huskies sleep on their back LOL it's a husky thing--you wouldn't understand ;)

and u don't need to worry about his almost-crawling behavior.. It's just a display of submission

It actually is not just a husky thing. A dog will sleep belly up (submissive position) only if they are completely comfortable with their surroundings. The fact that most of your dogs do this is very good, considering it means they are happy with their environment! Once they get comfortable with the pack they are in, all dogs should do this even if it is only every now and again.:)

I've been curious myself about this type of behavior. As I have always known it was a submissive thing, and my first did it in the house from time to time looking for belly rubs, and slept a lot that way but never did it for other dogs except her big bro GAD. but my newest Grace does it for almost all dogs at the park....gets low and even rolls over and lets 3-4 dogs all over he at once...she has a hard time getting away, but once she does she just wants to run and play with all of them, but still winds up submitting and getting tackled. she's still wagging her tail, but just never seen a dog do it so much. At home she is a feisty little bitch :) and likes to brawl and test us a lot and our GSD, but when laying around in the house in all sorts of positions, if I walk buy her and she is even slightly awake, she rolls over to submit to me. Its cute adorable but why so much? My Goofy Gracie!

My GSD Echo also sleeps on her back. Legs splayed. :0

We are looking after a Jack russel / chihuahua mix called Max for a couple of weeks and Daughtry

our (2yr old Husky female) got down on the ground and shuffled forward towards Max.

At first he was VERY wary / scared of all the dogs.

Daughtry did this to put him at ease, "look I'm not a threat, I'm not going to dominate you I just want to be friends."

Soon she was sniffing and nuzzling him. It's non threatening way some dogs use to approach others.

also, It's not necessarily a submissive gesture, just non threatening.

Kara,

Your Gracie, must be much like my Foxie. Some dogs are just very submissive dogs. Foxie submits to everyone, and is very friendly to both people and dogs. Personally, unless I know the dogs, I will not let more than one or two come up to Foxie while she has her belly up, because they are very vulnerable, and also it can make a dog nervous, if they are submitting to one dog, and then 3 more run up. This has happened to Foxie before, and one of the other dogs picked up on her nervousness and went for her ( while she was belly up) which could have been disastrous if I hadn't caught on quickly enough to what was going on. (It can sometimes be hard when you are trying to watch several dogs, even if you are calm, they may or may not be.)

Flat on the back, legs akimbo, belly exposed to the world = happy, confident doggy who feels safe in their environment.

As for the crawling....teeks has been taught to sit when another dog enters the field, giving us time to reel the lead in, but if he is desperate to meet the other dog he will sometimes drop to his tummy and commando crawl. He thinks he's being sneaky, i'm sure!

[ATTACH]33745[/ATTACH]

post-3670-13586010639011_thumb.png