Walking belts

Val (Zebedee)

Those that have walking belts, I want you to convince me why I should get one! Why are they better than me holding 3 leads?? :P

I am used to extending leads where I can control how far the dogs get from me & can rein them in quickly when needed; I feel I would lose that with having them on a fixed-length bungee lead or whatever. Also, do I not have more control if they pull by holding the leads rather than being yanked by the waist?

So - who's walking belt do you have? Or have you had? Why would you recommend I get a certain one? What should I look for when considering one?

i have used SASS and my own walking belts, both have bungee in which i would highly recommend as it takes the inital shock when they lunge or start pulling so you dont go arse over tit! But I find that because mine isnt as wide as the SASS, it doesnt ride up and stays where I put it, I like to wear mine low on the hips and found my sass one would ride up as I walked, regardless of how loose or tight it was

I couldnt walk mine without it (how do you walk 3 dogs all on flexi's?!?!?! lol) i use them with my own slider leads, leads which i can set to whichever length I want, they have handles near the clip so if i need to pass a dog closely or whatever I just grab hold of these handles, but generally I walk hands free, they pull, so I just lean back!

If I were to hold the leads and they lunged I would go flying and quite possibly hurt my arm/shoulder/upper back muscles from the pull, with the belt you use your weight to control them, so if they lunge i just lean away from it, your centre of gravity is lower so you have better balance

I love my walking belt, in that I can pull the dogs up by the lead, if I need them to be closer (for example, when we encounter one of the outdoor cats), but they can't pull the lead out of my hand and get away if they lunge suddenly or if I am distracted. I have more leverage against the pull they can exert (lower center of gravity), as well, which I like, and it's much easier on my back than having them pull on my arms/upper back.

I like using my belt when I take my kids out...it frees up my hands to take pictures of the neat things we see while we are out, and like sutsibe I find it much easier on my body when I get a sudden yank on that line being around my waist than when it was in my hands trying to dislocate my shoulder (my big guy is 130lbs of muscle...that used to hurt a LOT!). I feel like I have more control over them even being on a set length line than the flexi-lead ever had, but it's a matter of personal opinion there :)

I have the sass belt but the kisi canicross leads Single___Forest__4ed7dba407b57.png they have two built in handles, one at the end of the bungee bit and another at the end of the lead nearest to the dog. good for traffic control.

I do love my belt but I do wish it would stay put! lol

Without my belt I struggle to keep hold of storm.

sass belt and double ended leads - when they see a cat and want to pull i have not only my arm strengh but my body weight behind them aswell it makes me feel more incontrol cuz i can lean back if they are pulling aswell

the bungee helps too if they lunge the belt takes most of it rather than me :)

was thinking about getting a Sid_Wolf walking belt once they start being sold :P

I have a SASS walking belt ilove it i can also grab the lead if i want but you are right about not being able to do the same as with the flexi leads you can attatch longer leads etc though i have a police lead so i can have it different lengths depending on where i am and if i go on a meet i may take a flexi with me also. Only think i dont like about my belt is it rides up

I have just had mine from snowpaws. and boy did I wish I had ordered one before now...it is great use double ended police lead for both so I can adjust the length...wonderful walking now. esp when both spot a rabbit all my weight behind it and limbs being pulled out of their sockets...

My husband had his made from a kidney belt he had lying around the house. It is great as it is wide and padded and doesn't move once it is on. He runs/trains with the dogs, so likes his arms free, he wears his low on his hips for more control as well as comfort.

I don't know how I use to manage before I got my Sass walking belt. The girls saw a cat before I did in bushes right next to me the other day, they both lunged towards it and I hardly moved an inch, just kept my feet slightly apart and remained so steady. I think I would of been in the bushes too if I had been holding the leads in my hands :dog3:. I use police leads with my walking belt and when i'm over the field i have Mya attached to my belt with her extending lead and just hold storm's extending lead in my hand. Would highly recommend a belt :)

i love my belt from Kisi. not only can i walk 3 at once i have modified mine to carry keys / phone /poo bags etc. .. my arms dont hurt anymore. im not constantly almost falling over and dropping leads when they decide to zig zag..

but mainly co's if i happen to fall or something i know that my dogs are safe and can't run off as i havn't accidently dropped a lead as i fall.

i know they are safe and can't go anywhere.

I have a Canadog walking belt...and I know personally how scary it can be (and how much it hurts!) when you're being pulled down and you get dragged for a little bit. Some tips...

Make sure the belt you get has a quick release button (usually a plastic buckle) that you can easily hit if you feel yourself losing control. That way, you won't almost do a face-plant on the road...!

Also, make sure you get used to the feeling of the belt and your dogs. Don't start jogging with your dogs with the belt on until you know how they act while on the belt when your walking. I know that Suka acts differently when I put him on the belt...he tends to pull a little more and is a little more jerky with his movements.

If you're planning on walking on a sidewalk, make sure you get a short enough leash so they can't go on the road!

It's definitely a LOT easier than using leashes, but make sure to practice walking first! And no jogging on slippery roads! :P

Depending on what kind of belt you get, it can make your back sore for a few days.

Especially with 3 huskies, make sure it has a lot of padding!

I love my belt I got it made it has two hoops at the side so I can attach headcollars, poo bags and wipes to clean the dogs. I did attach hollie lead to the hoop as she has a thing about tangling the leads. I use police leads on my guys.