dieting?

nicolae

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Mom's on Weight Watchers...it's been working great for her so far. She's tried other diets, but this one seems to be the best. The only thing is that it seems she has to be on it for the rest of her life, or else the medications she's taking will bring her weight back up again. :(

I think the trick is to balance food with exercise...and don't starve yourself or else your body goes into survival mode and then you gain the weight you had lost back + more!

My Mom's on Weight Watchers...it's been working great for her so far. She's tried other diets, but this one seems to be the best. The only thing is that it seems she has to be on it for the rest of her life, or else the medications she's taking will bring her weight back up again. :(

I think the trick is to balance food with exercise...and don't starve yourself or else your body goes into survival mode and then you gain the weight you had lost back + more!

I definately recommend Weightwatchers, I have lost 4.5 stone in 10 months and I am now trying to maintain, which for me is the hardest part! I keep thinking "well I got to goal so this won't hurt or that extra bit of cake will be ok" and then before I know it I have gained a few pounds again :oops:

Walking Shadow daily has helped and we don't dawdle along it is rather like a route march!

Good luck to all of you, it's hard going but worth it :grouphug:

wow! i started trying to cut out things and make better choices last year. but if i fancied a takeaway id have one (maybe once a fortnight) joined the gym begining of sept too. i managed a pitifull 2 stone in the whole of last year lol.

2 Stone is still a good loss, I had to go to weight watchers as I needed a structure to work with as when I tried myself I failed............at least with Weight watchers if I want that takeaway or pizza I can still have it just not every day! lol ;)

I'm watching what I eat with two other people in my office, one girl is getting married in around a year & wants to shed some pounds & a bloke put a lot of weight on when he hurt his back so we're encouraging one another. Been doing it since November (with a break for Christmas, though I somehow lost 2lb!!) and have lost 22 lb, so I'll keep plodding on - I have no target in mind I'll see how I feel when I get somewhere down the track!! :D

I am, but it's more to ensure healthy weight gain and that I'm getting the nutrients I should while pregnant (which is a little frustrating right now because I can't stomach all my favourite vegetables!).

I have trouble gaining weight, too, even when I eat alot.

An example: for Christmas, I ate a LOT of food and I ate almost constantly. Mostly junk and 'fatty' food (I know, but I'm young and my body can take it). And how much did I gain in 2 weeks? Only 6 pounds.

I have trouble gaining weight, too, even when I eat alot.

An example: for Christmas, I ate a LOT of food and I ate almost constantly. Mostly junk and 'fatty' food (I know, but I'm young and my body can take it). And how much did I gain in 2 weeks? Only 6 pounds.

Yeah, that's why I started back on Calorie Count. Not only do I want to be sure I'm getting all the nutrients I need, but I want to monitor my caloric intake in a big way. As it is, I regularly consumed almost 400 calories more a day than my act-of-living + physical activity demanded, and only put on 5 lbs over the span of just over 4 months. I don't think my daily burn rate of 1800 calories is accurate to what I really burn, and since I'm supposed to now consume an extra 200 calories a day I wanted to keep track of my gain with that. So far with my appetite being not all that great I'm just barely managing to reach that extra calories per day, and I've had zero weight gain in the last 10 weeks (which is apparently totally normal). Same goes with my nutritional intake - that's the part I've been watching closely, to make sure I get everything I need in healthy amounts. Right now, with my aversion to vegetables I'm having a hard time getting enough potassium - bananas don't give you as much as you'd think!

Yeah, that's why I started back on Calorie Count. Not only do I want to be sure I'm getting all the nutrients I need, but I want to monitor my caloric intake in a big way. As it is, I regularly consumed almost 400 calories more a day than my act-of-living + physical activity demanded, and only put on 5 lbs over the span of just over 4 months. I don't think my daily burn rate of 1800 calories is accurate to what I really burn, and since I'm supposed to now consume an extra 200 calories a day I wanted to keep track of my gain with that. So far with my appetite being not all that great I'm just barely managing to reach that extra calories per day, and I've had zero weight gain in the last 10 weeks (which is apparently totally normal). Same goes with my nutritional intake - that's the part I've been watching closely, to make sure I get everything I need in healthy amounts. Right now, with my aversion to vegetables I'm having a hard time getting enough potassium - bananas don't give you as much as you'd think!

Ugh, banannas! :(

You can always take tablets...though I think you need a prescription from your doctor, I did.

Apparently, too much K+ (potassium) will kill you, which is why you need a prescription for it.

I'd ask your doctor.

Ugh, banannas! :(

You can always take tablets...though I think you need a prescription from your doctor, I did.

Apparently, too much K+ (potassium) will kill you, which is why you need a prescription for it.

I'd ask your doctor.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll see what she says. I only get between 1000 and 2000mg per day, and the recommended amount is around 4700mg, so I'm getting less than half! Quite a surprise!

I actually hate the word "diet." Diets fail. They fail 100% of the time. Yes, you'll lose weight, and that's great, but the very word "diet" makes people think it's a short term affair, and it's not. I prefer to think of it as a "lifestyle change." Because once you hit your goal weight, if you go back to eating the way you did before, you'll just go back to looking the way you did before. My husband really struggles with his weight, and it's because he won't make those lifestyle choices.

If I want chips, I have chips. If I want candy, I have candy. But I take a reasonable portion of said goody, put it in a bowl, and put the rest away. Changing how I consumed food makes a difference too. Eating that awful for you, but soooooo delicious, theatre popcorn? Eat it one kernel at a time instead of by the handful. Same enjoyment, less calories!

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll see what she says. I only get between 1000 and 2000mg per day, and the recommended amount is around 4700mg, so I'm getting less than half! Quite a surprise!

I actually hate the word "diet." Diets fail. They fail 100% of the time. Yes, you'll lose weight, and that's great, but the very word "diet" makes people think it's a short term affair, and it's not. I prefer to think of it as a "lifestyle change." Because once you hit your goal weight, if you go back to eating the way you did before, you'll just go back to looking the way you did before. My husband really struggles with his weight, and it's because he won't make those lifestyle choices.

If I want chips, I have chips. If I want candy, I have candy. But I take a reasonable portion of said goody, put it in a bowl, and put the rest away. Changing how I consumed food makes a difference too. Eating that awful for you, but soooooo delicious, theatre popcorn? Eat it one kernel at a time instead of by the handful. Same enjoyment, less calories!

I agree, my Mom shares her information that she gets from Weight Watchers with us (my family.). She said its all about moderation and managing your portions.

Weight gain can also be caused by an inactive/damaged thyroid gland...my Mom takes medication for that which helps stop weight gain. The problem is, those medications still allow her to gain weight but not nearly as much as without it! And, she's still losing weight while still on the meds. I'm proud of her; I probably would have given up as she's been struggling for a whole year now.

Has your husband's thyroid been checked?

Yeah, you have to give into your cravings...but just eat a little bit at a time so you don't go binge! Instead of sticking your hand in a chip bag, put the chips in a bowl. Also, she's been drinking water instead of pop...and that really helps with the weight loss.

I have had to start watching my weight, so all I did was change the size of my dinner plate to a smaller one. My plate is still full of all my favourite foods but just in smaller portions and because of the size of the plate it doesn't feel as if I am depriving myself :rofl: I don't eat between meals but do have a small chocolate every day. Oh yes, I don't bake anymore :( unless for special occassions.

iv done that one too, the plate thing, and it seems to be working. iv had no takeaways, limit myself to no more than 2 slices of medium bread a day, ideally early on in the day. 1 100kal treat a day. iv managed to loose 10lbs so far since 1st jan! im thinking most of thats water weight though lol.

well if everyones up for it then shall we set a weigh in day? every monday? not put what you weight lol, just if you have put on or lost

• 3 weeks later...

So I figured this is probably the place to post about my findings thus far on my "dieting" discoveries, and some might find it interesting for how it works in the opposite way to my goals.

So. I've just started my second trimester, and I'm actually down half a pound. I haven't endured awful morning sickness, so inability to keep food down has not been an issue. What IS hard, however, is getting enough calories, and I'm starting to see where the pattern is emerging.

1. On work days where I do no physical activity I can easily consume 400-600 additional calories a day. I should only need to be eating 200-300 extra a day, so that's anywhere from 100-300 more calories than I need.

2. On days that I do my chosen physical activity (horseback riding) I burn a minimum of 300 calories, and on the weekends it can be well over 1300 calories (and people say the horse does all the work!). I defy anyone to try to eat 3300 calories for maintenance!

3. When I average my diet out over the course of a week, I'm only netting 124 extra calories a day - at that rate you'd be lucky to gain a pound in a month! So now, when I should be getting double that anyway, it suddenly makes sense why there has been no gain!

So I'm not entirely sure what to do about it. I eat when I'm hungry, I try to pick healthy but I still eat my share of junk. I'm not about to cut down on my physical activity, but I gotta figure out something! I guess I'll see in the next month or two if things start changing.

Well, it is time I got serious about getting my life back...I've had some ups and downs in my life and it has resulted primarily in weight gain. Last year I had great success losing 60lbs, then I was prescribed a medication that put 45lbs back on...really got me down. Now we have an invite to Eukanuba and I want to look more like the old me. 11 months for a complete turn around? We'll see...