spay and neuter

hjp75

We have decided to spay and neuter Echo and Trooper.

I was watching This Morning today and it broke my heart to see how many unwanted dogs there are out there, and I really don't want to add to the numbers. And thanks to Dogs Trust its only going to cost me £60 for them both as I'm on long term sick.

εїÃ· H εїÃ·

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Siku's spay cost me $105, though the vet I usually go to quoted me $400! It's so nerve wracking, but she was a trooper and did fine. My friend just got her 7yr old golden who she just rescued neutered. When we picked him up, which was the same day as the neuter, you would have never guessed he had just had surgery! He was so bouncy and hyper!

I went to a cheaper vet (one that I would like to use more often, but they are too far away :( ). My friend went to her regular vet and was charged more, but she was dealing with an older dog who has heartworms and needed to get things checked like his lungs, etc., so she felt safer sticking with her vet.

I'm curious, not to hijack the thread, but how many people have had their dogs spayed or neutered at their regular vet? The price at my reg vet is twice as much as my back up vet which is where I'm going to get Kiana done as it's cheaper.

we did with blaze - we dont have a back up vet lol never actually thought bout having 1

I got both of mine done at the vets.

Kira was done at 10 months old and his cost just slightly under $200

Sadie had hers done a few months ago at 11 months and it cost $400. However, we got the safety package (blood work, make sure they are not allergic to the sleeping medicine, etc) for both dogs when they were done. Sadie needed additional testing because her protein levels were a little high, just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with her.

I'd rather take them to the vet, they do a lot of extra testing if you want them to, to make sure there are no problems leading into the surgery so they come out A-ok. Not sure what clinics are like, but I rather spend the extra money just to have my mind at ease. If it wasn't for my vet (I like her, my older sister's bf in high school so I know her :3 She wouldn't recommend something not necessary) then I wouldn't have known that Sadie wasn't digesting the high protein dog food well and it could have eventually led to failure of her kidneys later on D: Apparently some GSD have problems digesting protein, Sadie must be one of them ;_;

Why are you reluctant on it?

Because in humans (I used to be a nurse many moons ago), you don't put little ones 'under' unless absolutely necessary because it has a negative effect on the liver. (Liver = live, (Plato) because you cannot live without it.)

What is good for humans is generally probably good for our furbies. No anaesthetic for Molly until she is an adult.

we did with blaze - we dont have a back up vet lol never actually thought bout having 1

Well Kiana's main vet is only open certain hours on certain days though and originally I only went there cause I had exotics and they were the closest exotics vet lol. My back up vet is just down the street and is open 24/7 and we have an e-vet about 20mins away for emergencies. With having exotics (especially sugar gliders) it's a MUST to have at least three vets you can depend on that know their stuff with exoitc species in a fairly close proximity lol. It's come in quite handy though with various issues and it's nice to have a choice for her health to. I like my back up vet's facility it's really nice and clean and but the staff there is a little stuck up imo. Our main vet is 20mins away and it's a really old small office kind dingy looking but the staff there is wonderful as is their pricing. I just haven't decided which place I'd rather get Kiana spayed at. Was just curious if it was weird of me to want to get it done at another office even though she's grown with the main one.

Our vets is about 3-4 miles away and the dogs seem to like them so that make me happy, there is a vets about 3mins walk from my house which is where trooper was first taken when he was hit by a car. Sadly that vets is out of our price range.

But if I needed a back up that would be it.

εїÃ· H εїÃ·

I have a question here about this: Molly had an anaesthetic when she was about 13 weeks old, and I'm reluctant to allow her to have another one (especially for spaying) while she is so young. Thoughts anyone?

Its actually a good age if they are way too young its bad and if they are too old its bad but in the middle is usually good if they are healthy :D I am not getting Marius fixed but my cats are fixed and I went to a different vet to get them done becasue it was cheaper and he actually did an amazing job. My cat Enkil still looks like he has his furry bits back there but he doesnt :P I was pretty impressed. I do find it funny how everyone wants you to " get your pet spayed or neutered and help control the pet population" but they charge so much for it...that cant help :/

Ouch Elyse!

We've always used clinics for spays/neuters. I love my vet, but not that much!

I think my vet loves ME because I'm probably helping her pay her mortgage. LOL

" get your pet spayed or neutered and help control the pet population"

You just made me think of Bob Barker. LOL

Because in humans (I used to be a nurse many moons ago), you don't put little ones 'under' unless absolutely necessary because it has a negative effect on the liver. (Liver = live, (Plato) because you cannot live without it.)

What is good for humans is generally probably good for our furbies. No anaesthetic for Molly until she is an adult.

That's understandable, I would never put an old dog under just because of all the risks. They do pre-tests if you pay the extra to make sure that the anesthetic won't hurt them, make sure all their organs are good for the operation. My mom works in ICU, intensive care unit, and she didn't seem to have a problem with letting her tiny wiener dog undergo the surgery at 6 months (all preference, I know, not arguing). Personally I would have gotten Sadie fixed at 6 months if I had the money at the time, we didn't get her til she was 5 months and we moved at the time so funds were a little low. They say that after a dog goes through their first heat their chances of getting ovarian cancer jumps 7%, second heat it jumps to 25% That's one in four D: That's why I wanted my girl fixed asap.

I'm very fortunate, in that my vet is relatively close, very good, and has reasonable prices - downright cheap, by many posted by fellow Husky Owners! Being underemployed, I've thought of taking two of my girls who need to be spayed to a clinic to have it done, but it would be a 2 hour drive away to have them do it, and I'm not as familiar with them, so don't have that level of trust built up, so I'll wait, for now. I like going to a vet that I know and trust, especially when surgery is involved!

I've had older dogs anesthetized a number of times to have things done like removing growths that were a problem (cancerous or potentially so, OR that were interfering with movement and/or comfort) or having teeth cleaned (tartar build up can harbor bacteria that can damage the heart). Sometimes the procedure that requires anesthesia is more helpful and less risky than the health problem it corrects. Bloodwork done in advance can give valuable information about the potential risks, and how to weigh your options...

When I had to have Suka put under last year for x-rays, I think she did blood tests because he was higher-risk than usual because he's getting old. I still had to sign a waiver form and all that jazz, but he turned out fine!

The chances of them not waking up from the anesthesia is slim, my vet told me.