HIHC - Husky-Induced Heart Condition

tyler999

So, my 1.5 year old husky, Okami (who was a stray for most of her life) doesn't really bark or howl much. Every so often, when I give her food, she will eat a few bites, then back off and give a light, conversational howl that lasts about 3 seconds and can barely be heard in the next room if the door is shut. She will then go back to eating. It doesn't bother me and I haven't noticed it creating any negative behaviors.

This Monday was a full moon (the wolf moon, ironically), reaching its zenith at 2:30am. At 3:48am, in the midst of a deep sleep, I suddenly found myself springing awake, my heart racing and limbs flailing. Okami was next to my bed, giving out a movie-quality, ungodly long and loud howl. I imagine she had only been doing it for a half-second or so before I sprang awake and instinctively pounced on her in groggy worry. She yelped and backed off, then looked at me, hopped on the bed and went right to sleep as if it was all the most natural thing in the world. It took ME 20 minutes to get back to sleep and I've been avoiding my neighbors ever since. So yeah. Howling at the full moon.

I love that dog.

photo-7.jpg

Sadie doesn't howl, she's a mute husky! Well part, she's 1/4 german shepard. Only time she ever howls is if she's been in her kennel and UNGAWDFULLY long time. We found this out when she got fixed and was cooped up for the first two weeks. It's more of a screaming shriek than anything XD;

Kira howls when he's about to be fed. I'm sad, I want a howling husky, I love when Kira does howl, so cool! Instead I have two dogs that stare at you sooooo intensely when you sleep that it pierces into you and wakes you up ._. Husky a foot from your face, just staring XD;

:rofl: what an unsettling wake up call at. My two seemed to get super lazy the last couple days up to and during the moon and now their bouncing off the walls the nutters.

Husky a foot from your face, just staring XD;

OMG Diesel my GSDxHusky does this and he's eye level with my head so it's really creepy when you wake up and there's a big brown eyeball there O_o

My guys in the kennel will occasionally howl around sunrise - probably hoping to get me moving a little earlier/faster than I would like! There are other occasions where they'll get a group howl going - once again, it seems like usually when they want me to do something!