Okami's broken dew claw and the importance of Dog First Aid

tyler999

Recently, I took Okami to the dog park. It was early and we were the only ones there. As we played, Okami sprung down onto her front paws, then immediately popped back up and lifted her front, left paw. I could tell something had happened and started over. She limped away from me and I let her go. After about 30 seconds of limping she started licking her paw. I went to her and saw that the dew claw was hanging out at an off angle and there blood coming from it. Because her paws were dirty from the mud created by the previous night's rain, I couldn't get a good look at it. Using a rag I keep in the car and water from the fountain, I cleaned off her paw and saw that the dew claw had cracked about halfway up. Fortunately I keep a first aid kit in my car at all times. I cleaned the claw off with an anti-septic wipe and then taped it down before calling the vet. The vet suggested they cut the nail off where it was broken, and thought I felt relatively confident it would be ok as it was, I decided to take their advice.

This was far from a serious situation, and I doubt there would have been any danger if I hadn't taken the steps I had before getting Okami to the vet. However it was the first time I have ever seen my dog hurt (other than the bloody gash on her side when I found her) and I can tell you is that it felt really good to know that I had both the knowledge and tools to do SOMETHING to help my dog in the interim.

They say that a quarter of non-natural dog deaths could have been avoided if someone had immediately rendered first aid rather than waiting till the dog got to the vet. For myself, I can't imagine a worse scenario than watching the animal you love hurt and in pain while you are helpless to do anything about it. To that end I would HIGHLY suggest everyone attend a dog first aid course. You can usually find one at your local humane society. If you can't find a dog first aid course, take a regular first aid course and then supplement it with some dog-specific first aid reading. The similarities between rendering aid to dogs and humans are stronger than the differences.

photo1.jpg

Recently, I took Okami to the dog park. It was early and we were the only ones there. As we played, Okami sprung down onto her front paws, then immediately popped back up and lifted her front, left paw. I could tell something had happened and started over. She limped away from me and I let her go. After about 30 seconds of limping she started licking her paw. I went to her and saw that the dew claw was hanging out at an off angle and there blood coming from it. Because her paws were dirty from the mud created by the previous night's rain, I couldn't get a good look at it. Using a rag I keep in the car and water from the fountain, I cleaned off her paw and saw that the dew claw had cracked about halfway up. Fortunately I keep a first aid kit in my car at all times. I cleaned the claw off with an anti-septic wipe and then taped it down before calling the vet. The vet suggested they cut the nail off where it was broken, and thought I felt relatively confident it would be ok as it was, I decided to take their advice.

This was far from a serious situation, and I doubt there would have been any danger if I hadn't taken the steps I had before getting Okami to the vet. However it was the first time I have ever seen my dog hurt (other than the bloody gash on her side when I found her) and I can tell you is that it felt really good to know that I had both the knowledge and tools to do SOMETHING to help my dog in the interim.

They say that a quarter of non-natural dog deaths could have been avoided if someone had immediately rendered first aid rather than waiting till the dog got to the vet. For myself, I can't imagine a worse scenario than watching the animal you love hurt and in pain while you are helpless to do anything about it. To that end I would HIGHLY suggest everyone attend a dog first aid course. You can usually find one at your local humane society. If you can't find a dog first aid course, take a regular first aid course and then supplement it with some dog-specific first aid reading. The similarities between rendering aid to dogs and humans are stronger than the differences.

photo1.jpg

Suka (almost) tore off one of his nails on a walk a year or so ago. The vet was closed all weekend, so we had to go to emergency to get it bandaged up.

If I would have known about dog first aid and actually LOOKED in the first aid kit, like I do now, then I would have saved a couple hundred bucks from the emergency fees.

When Suka was attacked by an opossum (he doesn't hunt them anymore, now. :P), he was all bloodied up. I just reached into my first aid kit and cleaned him up. It's wasn't that bad, but I still disinfected them and made my own bandages (which I learned how to do on the internet.). I also watched him carefully to make sure he didn't pick up any diseases from it.

Making my own bandages ended up being helpful this summer, too, when Suka had an infected paw. I had to rebandage his paw 3-4 times a day because I had to reapply antibiotic ointment on. I spent a lot of money in bandages, but I would have spent more money (and time) if I were to go to the vet every single time.

Suka (almost) tore off one of his nails on a walk a year or so ago. The vet was closed all weekend, so we had to go to emergency to get it bandaged up.

If I would have known about dog first aid and actually LOOKED in the first aid kit, like I do now, then I would have saved a couple hundred bucks from the emergency fees.

When Suka was attacked by an opossum (he doesn't hunt them anymore, now. :P), he was all bloodied up. I just reached into my first aid kit and cleaned him up. It's wasn't that bad, but I still disinfected them and made my own bandages (which I learned how to do on the internet.). I also watched him carefully to make sure he didn't pick up any diseases from it.

Making my own bandages ended up being helpful this summer, too, when Suka had an infected paw. I had to rebandage his paw 3-4 times a day because I had to reapply antibiotic ointment on. I spent a lot of money in bandages, but I would have spent more money (and time) if I were to go to the vet every single time.

I'd be very interested in knowing how you made the bandages if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Tyler

I'd be very interested in knowing how you made the bandages if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Tyler

I only had to make the bandages for his back leg, cause that was the one with his infected paw, but I'm pretty sure the front leg would be similar.

I basically used lots of gauze and gauze 'tape' (I forget what its called, but it took me FOREVER to find the right kind that'll actually stick to both the bandage and his paw. And for more than 5 seconds. :P), and followed the instructions below...

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/bandaging.htm

However, I found with that method it still kept on slipping off, so I not only had to tighten it, but I would also have to put that gauze 'tape' on his leg to secure the wrapping in place! I would put extra gauze on his paw area so there wouldn't be as much pressure.

This is a really good point. I have a fully stocked first aid kit that I take with me everywhere I go - for horses. I don't have one for dogs beyond a mini human first aid kit (which now that I think about it hasn't made it to the new Jeep yet...).

A prudent point and a good reminder!

Also "vet wrap" is your best friend. Always have some of that on hand!

mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UuZjcFSLXTtlXTVMXTEEV76EbHSHVs6EVs6E666666--

Great advice :D We have a dog first aid class here but they are trying to suck $300 from people for it. I am pretty knowledgeable about it already so I will take my time to save up money for it lol. Marius had his dew claws they were removed quickly after he was born but my cousins chihuahua had torn his and it got pretty bad but they just wrapped it up and he was good :) but your right its a very good idea to take that sort of class and to have your own doggy first aid kit :)

nice post :up: there's no such thing as dog park here so Dime might not hurt his paw that way, but still that's one good advice. Thanks for posting Tyler :D Love the heart on Okami's bandage :heartbeat: