Is your dog telepathic?

Mollys_mum

I saw this article in the daily 'Fail' a few days ago; I don't really concede to it, but found the article interesting:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2084017/A-Cambridge-scientist-believes-seen-beginning-animals-telepathic-powers.html

When I was a child, I grew up with a 'westie', and the night before anyone in our family died she'd howl. Never been able to explain it. Anyone else had weird situations with dogs?

On one occasion, a limping female became separated from the pack Long was tracking and lay recovering in a den while the rest of the wolves moved on. Days passed, then suddenly the female reappeared among the pack.

:duh:

Simple. This isn't telepathy. This is just the female tracking her pack by the means of scent or sound (through howling). It's not uncommon for wolves to become separated for hours and then be reunited.

He described some simple experiments with a friend’s dog which showed a knack for predicting its master’s return home. The dog would go to stand at the door soon after its owner had started his journey from work.

This is just stupid. Dogs know your habits and your routine!

....but still their pets were ready to welcome them when they got home.

Maybe the dogs/cats were just waiting there for the whole time. Didn't think of that, did ya? :P

I'm not even going to try to debunk the rest. It's all just silly and obviously biased. A lot of mammals have better senses than we do; better hearing, sight, and smell. Case done.

When I was still in the primary school the times I went to home where never the same. Semafoor, my cat usually sleeps the whole day when I'm not home and barely is outside. However, when school's out he wakes up and always wanted to go outside. As a result I always met him halfway on my route home. I still haven't figured out how he did that as there was no clue of my arrival and definitely no set routine. Just 5 to 15 minutes before my arrival he wakes up, goes outside and walked towards my school... every day!! :confused:

Just to note, he was inside & asleep. I'm really curious what he 'picked up'. Definitely not sound or smell. He did the same trick when I went to the secondary school.

When I was still in the primary school the times I went to home where never the same. Semafoor, my cat usually sleeps the whole day when I'm not home and barely is outside. However, when school's out he wakes up and always wanted to go outside. As a result I always met him halfway on my route home. I still haven't figured out how he did that as there was no clue of my arrival and definitely no set routine. Just 5 to 15 minutes before my arrival he wakes up, goes outside and walked towards my school... every day!! :confused:

Just to note, he was inside & asleep. I'm really curious what he 'picked up'. Definitely not sound or smell. He did the same trick when I went to the secondary school.

Bless! Some dogs are, well, just very special.:angel:

It's my cat, by the way :D

However, there are moments when I go to the huskies and, according to Ruth, they already get excited and wait by the door before I get there. However, this is not as often as what my cat did :)

I had a cat like that; we had him for 16 years, but he has gone now. )-:

That said, Molly seems to know what is going on, but I wouldn't call it telepathic.

:duh:

This is just stupid. Dogs know your habits and your routine!

Maybe the dogs/cats were just waiting there for the whole time. Didn't think of that, did ya? :P

1. The article said that they varied the routines on the experiments he did...

2. He video taped them, and the one dog wasn't watching something like 6% of the time while gone (can't remember exactly what) and was watching 55% of the time when the woman came home...

There are times when I'd swear my dogs understand what I've said to the extent and with a enough sophistication that they are able to read my mind! In my opinion, there's room for further experimentation into the question.

I agree Gigi, it often feels as if Ozzy & Micah can read my mind - especially Micah. They seem to know I am going to do something before I do it. I have tested them in various way, changing the way I do things, but they are never fooled. My husband says it is because they are with me 24/7 and are totally tuned into my body language - but sometimes I wonder.

I agree Gigi, it often feels as if Ozzy & Micah can read my mind - especially Micah. They seem to know I am going to do something before I do it. I have tested them in various way, changing the way I do things, but they are never fooled. My husband says it is because they are with me 24/7 and are totally tuned into my body language - but sometimes I wonder.

They are very good at picking up very subtle body language clues, but there have been fairly extensive things I've asked one dog or another (Shad especially!) to do that they did - showing they understood exactly what I'd wanted! Usually accompanied by watching my face quite intently as I stood there talking to them...