why do people mix breeds when breeding?

welshmum

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just walked Pepper to school, there was a small pup behind me...the owners said she was 16 weeks yet much smaller than pepper and same age...but thought well not all gonna be the same size...talking to the guy then and it was actually an inbreed pup....his dad was the only one to survive the litter, the others died in the birth canal??/......but said for an inbred it's perfectly healthy....only whenever they take the pup over his mums house {she has dad} he attackes the pup already had eye and nose!!..poor thing, also complained that she was chewing things and dont like being locked out the kitchen, I asked if she was crated...'what is a crate'.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have a full siberian and a huskymute, i too have seen some unlikely crosses, dogs should be bred for purpose or at least with similar dogs, for instance we have a new addition i rescued recently called pepper, she is a weimeraner cross rhodesian ridgeback, both similar breeds in looks and size but very few owners research the breeds and unfortunatly have either not got the time or patience to care for them, but i would imagine a husky cross jackrussel or sharpei would not fit any purpose and some people seriously lack taste and common sense.............

What are people thinking when intentionally creating these mix breeds?

Leaving aside the fact that such a dog has no purpose, how is a husky x jack russell supposed to function? Will it even be able to walk properly or carry out it's life properly, without being impaired by certain traits of the other breed?

they create mixes because they are....thoughtless...??

If not for the money that people pay out I think this wouldnt be such a big issue.

dont get me wrong I have nothing against mixed breed dogs, just the money grubbing jerks

that create big litters of mixed pups for money....it irritates me...theres many ways to make

$$ besides this.

Because "designer dogs" are the hottest new accessory! No longer disdainfully called 'mutts,' the more creative, outlandish and bass-ackwards a dog is the better!

Extra points if you cross breed dogs with conflicting instincts, like a collie and a husky - or a doberman and a retriever!

Ugh, I'll not even get started on what I think of this kind of disgusting profiteering and carelessness.

ETA - a friend just told me that while she was at the barn this weekend someone brought along their new pup - a daschund/australian shepherd! Apparently it was an "accident" but OMG SRSLY??

And some people doing this have HUGE egos! I know one guy who bred his sibe to an indian dog. He wants to create a new line of huskies. He has some fancy name for it too. I knew there was no talking to him when he actually compared himself to Seppala! Saying that Seppala made his own line, why can't he. Not to mention all the other stupid things he's done with breeding like no health checks, breeding his female twice! (first time was on accident, but I can't forgive him breeding her again less than a year later!) before she was two, giveing new owners bad advice (oh these mixes will be great off leash dogs!), etc.

• 3 months later...

I posted this in a different thread a few days ago but it it's perfect for this one too

"I was talking to a lady a while ago who stopped me to ask about Storm, and she told me she'd just paid £300 for a Pikachu (apparently it's a Pekinese - Chihuahua Cross)

For some reason she got really annoyed when I told she had just been ripped off and bought a mongrel, LOL"

Stupid people just buying dogs that are given "cute" names by stupid breeders.

Ryder's a mongrel, bless his heart. I call him a Maluskita, partly because it's funny but also because I know how much it annoys the 'pure' people :D

I can understand that woman being annoyed though, I've had enough comments saying Ryder's "just" a mongrel and it winds me up so much. I know he's a mongrel, but they say it in such a way it's like they're saying he's less of a dog for it, just because he has a colourful history. (not saying you said it in this way, btw :) )

Personally, I don't see a problem with crossbreeding if it helps the next generation. My Sister has a pug that's crossed with another breed (totally slipped my mind right now..) but the cross breeding has given him a longer snout that makes his breathing a lot better than where his ancestors were sitting. It's the seemingly idiotic people just crossing breeds to see what comes out that irks me, you could potentially hinder a life and I don't think that's right at all.

Yeah some people do some messed up stuff so they can sell "unique" dogs that you haven't see before. People buying them have no idea what kind of health hazards their dogs could potentially have, it's sad. I can understand accidents, that's why if you don't plan on breeding (PROPERLY) then you should always fix your dogs, there's way more benefits than cons. Sadie's mixed, she's 3/4 husky 1/4 GSD. Apparently the mom (red husky, beautiful) was tied up outside in heat and the neighbors husky/gsd jumped the fence to get to her D: That's why pets should be fixed, so many accidental breedings. I wouldn't change my sweetie for the world though, I love her!

my storm is the same percentage as your sadie.

lovely dog, perfect. wouldnt have another cross though. why? becuase there will only ever be one storm.

does any one know where i can find a husky mix doberman

Why on earth do you want a mix husky/doberman...this combination does not compute in my brain...

I'd say it's got to do with 2 things...Greed and misinformation. You have your generally clueless people (I was generally clueless for a long while, and it's only been since finding HO that I understand why one would prefer a reputable breeder...or well that I knew there was such a thing..we all learn if we have the right information)....and then you have the greedy sods who just want a quick (wow birth just never struck me as a get rich quick thing...but people are wierd) dollar.

Then you have stupid names...ugh peekachu. That makes me want to scream. How is the pokemon fad not gone?!?!

Ryder's a mongrel, bless his heart. I call him a Maluskita, partly because it's funny but also because I know how much it annoys the 'pure' people :D

I can understand that woman being annoyed though, I've had enough comments saying Ryder's "just" a mongrel and it winds me up so much. I know he's a mongrel, but they say it in such a way it's like they're saying he's less of a dog for it, just because he has a colourful history. (not saying you said it in this way, btw :) )

Personally, I don't see a problem with crossbreeding if it helps the next generation. My Sister has a pug that's crossed with another breed (totally slipped my mind right now..) but the cross breeding has given him a longer snout that makes his breathing a lot better than where his ancestors were sitting. It's the seemingly idiotic people just crossing breeds to see what comes out that irks me, you could potentially hinder a life and I don't think that's right at all.

Meh, I've had mostly mutts in my time, and it doesn't offend me to call them that. Breeders of "designer" mutts do offend me, however. It's one thing to mix two breeds to work on an improvement - there really was a reason "labradoodles" were bred, and heeler/border collie crosses are in my opinion an optimal mix for a great dog. But when people take herding dogs and cross them with sled dogs, or guard dogs and cross them with lap dogs, not only do you end up with no end of conformation faults, but a dog that can be heavily disturbed by conflicting instincts. It's not always the case, but it happens a lot.

And I'd bet my last dollar that the vast majority of designer mutt breeders do NOT breed quality purebreds either - they just happen to have an intact dog of one breed, and they just find a mate of another breed to mix it with to give it a clever name so they can charge a ton of money, then stupid people eagerly fork over money and many actually believe that this makes it a new "breed." Or their dog got knocked up by some mystery pooch, but with a cute name they go from mongrel to pricey novelty.

So when i originally let people know i was finally getting a husky i actually had a few friends tell me i should get a "pomsky" instead due to them being small. There is a reason there are different breeds of dogs. They have different temperaments, health issues, etc. The "pomsky" is a pomeranian/husky mix. Apparently besides having a TON of health issues they also have behavioral issues and can be aggressive. Seriously? This just p*sses me off. I know people have accidents but thats why you should have your dog spayed/neutered. and people that create designer breeds should be smacked in the face. :rant:

take a look at this so called designer dog

btw. they are INSANELY priced

post-7406-13586040248591_thumb.png

Found out something new. I guess they cross different breeds to make hog hunting dogs! Tough little suckers! My dad went on some hog hunts just to watch and he said they mixed cattle dogs and bull terriers. The dogs are supposed to run down a hog, grab its ears, and hold it until the owner can come kill it or geld it. I guess they taste better if they've been neutered! Hogs are a big problem around here. They are taking over some places and they get scary huge! They sure need tough dogs to grab a hog! My dad said sometimes it's a little frightening. The dogs do get hurt a lot from the boar's tusks. And for some reason, I guess they may have trained the dogs to do so, they mainly grab males which is what the hunters want. Thought that was interesting. I guess the cattle dog part of the mix is to make them smarter. lol.