Okami got bit. (Warning- Quasi-graphic Images)

tyler999

Apparently, a dog at the park overheard the woman telling me how beautiful my husky was and that she should be on tv, and jealously decided to take matters into his own teeth. I had Okami on the leash and was at the fence talking to someone when the dog came up behind us. When Okami turned to growl at him (she hadn't liked him since he had attacked another dog 10 minutes earlier) he jacked her. I got them separated quickly and Okami seemed fine, till I noticed she was bleeding. I grabbed my first aid kit and cleaned the wound out, but quickly realized it was pretty bad.

photo1-1.jpg

Okami barely seemed to notice, but I put her in the car and went to the emergency vet nearest me that is open on Sunday. They had to shave around the area and give her stitches. It looks pretty nasty but should heal up fine.

photo-8.jpg

Just a public service announcement: I don't believe the dog that attacked her was a BAD dog- I don't like labeling things like that. But he should have been on a leash.

Moreover. the owner apologized right after and by the time I realized she was bleeding I immediately headed out to the vet without talking to him- so I'm not going to go into a tirade against him. But from now on I will pay A LOT more attention to the dogs that get into fights, and making sure they stay away.

Tyler

oh god! poor girl - hope she heals up soon - and has no ill effects on her with other dogs - a similar thing happened to my girl too but shes recovered fine - can still b abit fearful but she usually gets over it pretty well once she gets walking with another dog n gets to know them

oh god! poor girl - hope she heals up soon - and has no ill effects on her with other dogs - a similar thing happened to my girl too but shes recovered fine - can still b abit fearful but she usually gets over it pretty well once she gets walking with another dog n gets to know them

Fortunately it didn't really seem to phase her at all. She seemed more upset by being sedated and stitched than the attack. I don't think it will have any adverse effects socializing-wise.

Fortunately it didn't really seem to phase her at all. She seemed more upset by being sedated and stitched than the attack. I don't think it will have any adverse effects socializing-wise.

i didnt think it would with skyla either tbh - once the attack was over she was fine (well as fine as she could be) even wanted to play with other dogs too - but meeting up with more then 1 dog worries her - hope she heals up ok soon :)

Hope she will be better soon with no ill effects. Just goes to show you the importance of having a first aid kit to hand.

And the number of a backup vet. When I realized that Okami was going to need stitches I called her vet and found out they, and most every other vet in the area, were closed on Sunday. It took me an additional 15 minutes to find an animal hospital that was open. In this case it didn't make much difference, but in a real life-threatening emergency that could make all the difference in the world.

Poor thing, dangerous area near the sinuses...if it is an off lead dog park, there are definitely dangers. One of the reasons we don't go since there really is no control and most owners don't know how their dogs will act, even huskies. Mine have all had face nips from each other, so I can't imagine what might happen at an open, off lead park.