Husky's and their preying instinct

xjocelyn

We have had Chihuahuas and huskies at the same time.

Huskies are . . . . curious, but gentle.

Chihuahuahs are angry and snappy at first, then when they realise the BIG dogs are just curious and playful

then they discover that Huskies are fantastic CUSHIONS to sleep on. :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have two cats, George is 11 and Li-lu (daughters choice) is about 2. George likes to prowl all night an sleep all day, Li-lu is an indoor cat and never ventured outside without someone with her. When George comes home in the morning he'll wait on the fence till I call him down so he doesn't get mobbed on the patio before making it to the door. Once inside he has a lot more confidence in putting the pack in it's place. Li-lu used to be nervous round them till she came into season. At which point she was all over the dogs. And she's a very small cat! post-10881-0-49106500-1379098727_thumb.j If you want to see I loaded it on you tube under Huskamania

In my experience females are worse than males for prey drive. Perhaps it has something to do with providing for offspring?

post-1752-13586016095971_thumb.jpg

post-1752-13586016096505_thumb.jpg

post-1752-13586016096976_thumb.jpg

Good luck, whilst some see them as tiny playmates. . . . .

others see them as . . . MMMMmmmmm NOM !!!! :(

It was my intention to actually get a male husky- but my friend only had a female left. She had the cutest personality and couldn't say no.

I also think girls are more cuddly and love to kiss, again I can only speak from my own experience. And prey drive comes into play when mine go out on a walk. I'm trying to reassure you but don't think I'm coming across well lol

It's just a case of teaching your husky's what's acceptable and always being aware :)

And trusting your instincts

Definitely never feed them when they are begging. Especially a husky. It will NEVER leave you alone. I have never ever fed Kojee from the table and he STILL sits and begs as if he expects to get something. I can only imagine if I had fed him from the table. Also like others have said huskies are really bad for stealing food when you arent looking so never leave food unattended because they are smart and will know when you arent looking. They arent trying to disobey you they just really cant help it. They have a very wild instinct and in the wild you eat as much as you can whenever you can because who knows when you will get another chance to eat! That is why they have such a strong prey drive as well. As for Chihuahua's, Kojee had never seen one before and then I brought him to a doggy daycare where there was one and the caregiver told me afterwards that he was excellent with the small dogs so if you raise your husky with a chihauhua I cant see there being any problems.