Being spayed

welshmum

Pepper had been chipped this morning :clap: so whilst there I asked SI {oh} to ask what their recommended age for her to get done....they said between 5-6 months, just before her 1st season...his reasoning was if she doesn't have her 1st season then she will never have in her mind the thought of pups etc that others can get if they have had seasons....

Just want your opinions on that?....she is 4 months today. 17th sept was her birth date.

x

i have a similar thought and was recommended by my vet also to get miska done at 6months mine is also 4months, some recommend at least 1 season which according to my vet was the old school of thought and now new studies have shown the earlier the better as this reduces chances of cancers, i am still un-decided

i have a similar thought and was recommended by my vet also to get miska done at 6months mine is also 4months, some recommend at least 1 season which according to my vet was the old school of thought and now new studies have shown the earlier the better as this reduces chances of cancers, i am still un-decided

thats my OH's thought too!.....

Skyla is 2 years old - and hasnt been spayed yet - shes had 3 seasons n only this 3rd season was she acting abit like a tart - the 1st two she didnt want the boys near her - but i have personally wanted to wait till she was 2 years old and fully matured - she will be getting spayed in march

We were going to get diva done his month she's 7 months vet recommended it but due to funds we didn't so all 3 of my girls are unspayed and staying like it til we move due to the fact that money is so tight

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.153319,-0.429653

I would wait until she has her first season .. it is better for the bitch for health reasons to get her done. my bitch was in much better condition after i got her done put a bit of weight on and her coat was much better and i have a 2 boys and in the past had to put the boys in kennels cos they were so stressed out! and she was being a flirt!lol

Those are my thoughts exactly. I've done alot of research on this subject and the modern thought is to have them spayed at around 6-7 months old before their first season. Early prevention is key here and does not affect their growth or maturity patterns. The wound also heals better and faster at that age compared to older dogs. Macy was spayed this past Monday. I picked her up on Tuesday afternoon in good health and spirits. I haven't had to place a cone on her yet. She doesn't go near the wound at this point. She relaxed more when I brought her home and probably continue today. She eats as good as she was before the operation so no issue there. The only issue I can see is she's a bit constipated. I 'll blame that on the medication that knocked her out. Other than that she's the same ole Macy...

Pepper had been chipped this morning :clap: so whilst there I asked SI {oh} to ask what their recommended age for her to get done....they said between 5-6 months, just before her 1st season...his reasoning was if she doesn't have her 1st season then she will never have in her mind the thought of pups etc that others can get if they have had seasons....

Just want your opinions on that?....she is 4 months today. 17th sept was her birth date.

x

Personal choice I think as there are so many views on the matter, and all from vets who we would trust to have the same opinion. I have only ever had one girlie and I had her done at 6 months. Upside I was told, so believed it - were the health benefits and no hankering after non-existent babies (phantom pregnancies).

Downside - at that age for her on the operating table her ovaries were apparently so small they had to really rumage around to find them. So minor, minor complications during surgery. Other than that she has not suffered from or following the op. :D

My personal opinion is to wait until after the first season. That is what I did with Aya. She matured a bit emotionally before she had it done. But she was 1 year when I got it done. I'm not sure I'd be happy sending a female in for that type of surugury at only 6 months old. I think it should be done after a year. But Aya didn't have her season till she was 10 months so getting her spayed at 1 worked out really well. It was stressful when she was in season though because even though both my boys are neautered they still had a lot of interest. I had to keep them seperate for the week that she was receptive to keep them all safe.

There are plus sides to having it done at 6 months, I think you need to read up about doing both as it is a persnal preferance.

After their first heat the chances of getting ovarian cancer jumps up by 7%, after having their second it jumps up to 25% D: I don't like those odds. I would have gotten Sadie done before her first heat, we got her at 5 months, but we were moving to another province at the time so money was limited. It's a lot cheaper to get them done earlier on, Sadie's spay cost me $400CAD, wouldn't have cost nearly as much if I got her fixed at 6 months, almost cut in half I'd say.

My vet said to wait until after her first season, and get her done in the middle of seasons.....this was my intention until Tikka decided she was going to have seasons every 4 months instead of every 6 months and had one just as I was planning on booking her in to be sorted!....She's 1 this month, and she is booked in on 27th January, which should be going ahead unless she decides to spring another one on me!!

the 1 main thing im worried about is weight gain - im gonna have 2 REALLY watch skyla n make sure she doesnt eat alot to keep her how she is now cuz she weighs enuf as it is

You can sometimes get 'light' versions of the foods know a few brands that do them. Not sure wainwrites do though you might just have to cut her portion a little.x

You can sometimes get 'light' versions of the foods know a few brands that do them. Not sure wainwrites do though you might just have to cut her portion a little.x

its very rare she eats the wainwrights - tends to only eat it when bings is lol - will have to cut back her meat tho

Most vets in the US prefer to spay and neuter young. Part of that is to prevent accidental breedings, and therefore accidental puppies and kittens! It's also the general consensus here that the health benefits (no chance for uterine or ovarian tumors/cancers, mammary cancer, pyometra risks, etc.), it's better preformed before the 1st season. The risks for mammary tumors go up even more quickly after 1-2 seasons than with the above quoted risks for ovarian tumors; while I can't remember what the figures are off hand, my vet told me that after 2-3 seasons, the risks for mammary tumors are the same as if you left them unspayed. Additionally, a 5-6 month old is less likely to have much abdominal fat, making the surgery easier, and (as has also been mentioned), they heal so very quickly when they're young!