"...just a dog..."

tyler999

So there is no doubt I love my dog. But I am the first to admit that she is independent.

Perhaps because she spent the first year or so of her life as a stray, she isn’t he most affectionate dog in the world. She is very sweet, but can sometimes be aloof too. That is just part of the husky way, I guess.

She loves being petted, smiles all the time and enjoys playing. If I pat the sofa she will hop up next to me (most of the time). 50% of nights she will sleep in my room, splitting the night between my bed and the foot of the bed, usually changing every couple hours. As we all know, huskies don’t usually stay in one place long. (I know most dog trainers prescribe not letting the dog sleep in the bed with you, but I’m willing to eat the consequences- it is worth it for me.)

However, Okami isn’t the type to just walk up and lay on you, or lick your face, or paw at you or things like that. When she sleeps on the bed with me she usually has her back to me and head down near my feet.

None of this really bothers me. I know she likes me, and to be totally honest, I sort of enjoy that she has her own mind and doesn’t listen to me ALL the time. This is why I refer to her as my roommate. ;p

About once a year I get what is called a complex migraine. Basically, I start to see light spots, feel dizzy, nauseous, and get very painful head pain. They usually last about 5 hours or so. If I catch it early, I can usually go someplace dark, relax and breathe, and ward it off- or at least relegate it to a light 30 minute headache.

Yesterday at work I felt a migraine coming on, and rather than explain it and leave work early, I tried to fight through it. That was a mistake. By the time I got home I was hurting. I tried to eat but ended up vomiting. After that I decided to just go to bed to try to sleep through it. I laid down at about 7:30pm (I normally have to force myself to go to bed at midnight.) As I lay there, clutching my head, Okami hopped into bed with me. I noticed something was different because she was lying right next to me, facing me.

She did not leave my side for 12 hours.

She got up two or three times throughout the night to stretch and walk around, and then got back in bed. She did not wake me up in the morning to go out like she normally does, but waited till I got up, feeling 100% better. Her food and water were untouched.

I won’t belabor the point because I don’t have eloquent enough words, but will simply say that this is why I will roll with that dog till the wheels fall off.

Migraines are awful - my sympathy! Hope that you're feeling 100% today...

I've found that sometimes some Ibuprofen and either some food or something for nausea when I first start feeling the symptoms can also help keep me from getting a full-blown migraine...

I don't know why that poem keeps being circulated as "author unknown" because his name is Richard A. Biby!

tyler999 - That is so sweet! If anything, I think it feels so much more special when a normally aloof creature offers comfort in a time of need. Okami may not be the type to need constant validation and affection, but she sure knows when you're hurting and in need of comfort and company! Reading about that just warms my heart in such a profound way!

And people wonder why we love them so much!