Roomates = Inconsistent Training!!!

dds06d

AHHH! I live in a house with 4 dogs and 4 people, 1 dog per person (although one dog is just staying temporarily.) My boyfriend and I have huskies, and the other 2 dogs are mixes which are much smaller than the huskies.

Everyone seems to have a different idea of their ideal dog. The smaller dogs of course can get away with so much more because it goes unnoticed. No one notices the little dogs begging for food, especially the littlest one!! But as soon as Zelda or Blue show up by the table it's extremely noticeable. I've trained them to stay out of the kitchen when people are eating. But of course, good things come to an end, and a little 4 legged begger runs under the table. This of course disturbs the beautiful peace that I've created, and now there's 3 dogs begging by the table. So basically, I'm the one who ends up training ALL the dogs to follow the "behind the line" rule....at least when I'm eating, so I suppose I'm creating some inconsistency there.

But no, it doesn't end there! Jumping! They all do it! It used to not be this way!! All dogs basically jump on the backdoor to get back into the house. The only one who never used to do this was Zelda, but she does now! She doesn't seem to do it as "lively" as the others, but still. The noise of their nails on the door drives me mad! I'm honestly not sure how to un-train this, because I'm on the other side of the door. The only thing I'll do (at least when it's just the huskies) is wait until they stop jumping and calm down, and then I'll let them in. But of course, everyone else doesn't do this because their jumping dogs mean "hey I want to come inside now." I'm hoping it's possible to train the huskies to not jump to get in, even if the other dogs can get away with it.

Those are just some training problems, what really bothers me is the way each dog interacts with other dogs. How much dog to dog interaction can be passed on from each one to another? Like if one constantly guards toys, could that pass on to another dog in the house? Or, for example at one point Zelda and Riley (my roommates dog) were the only dogs in the house for a while. While playing, Riley constantly growled at Zelda. Now, Zelda will make noises at Blue when they play, they sound less growl like though. I'm not sure if that was passed on, or just something dogs do when they know each other well. I recently visited my friends house who has 3 dogs and they all seemed so much more controlled. I want that!! It really seems like I'm the only one bothered by this though because no one else seems to care!!

I know what you're feeling.

Suka walked excellently on lead before I left for University. When I came back for reading week in October, I noticed a major difference in his walking behaviours. It was like I had never spent 3 months of my life to train him - and the 2 years of keeping it up!

My Mom's excuse is that she doesn't have the patience to correct him everytime he jerks around (he doesn't pull constantly), and my Dad's excuse is: "Well, just let him be a dog!"

-.-

I think I'm going to call them up and yell at them now.

storm would run from the end of the garden and literally launch himself at the back door with a 'thud'. I'm really not sure if its the right thing to do but what the 'ex' did was see him coming, hide behind the door and just before storm got to the door he jumped up and opened the door. the look on storms face was hillarious. He doesnt do it any more. They will both reach up and look in but if they scratch its cos they really wanna come in so that doesnt bother me.

TBH you need to read the riot act to your housemates and if they dont follow your rules then find a new house mate who will