New owner, would love advice! :)

Kaspar&Kuna

Hi all,

as you can see I am a new mom :) well not so new now Kaspar (m) and Kuna (f) are 14 weeks. They are brother and sister from the same litter. They are doing great so far but we have a few concerns!

We have recently noticed that they are starting to play h*mp. We have every intention of neutering them when old enough. What can we do in the meantime?

Also since we moved them to their outside kennel they have started to toilet in the house again....at a loss as to what to do with this as we leave the door open when they are inside so that they can go out if they want.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Welcome to the forum and looking forward to seeing pictures of your two furkids. Also don't forget to pin yourself on the members map. I am sorry I am unable to give you any advice, however there are loads of experienced husky owners who will be able to give you guidance and advice.

Hi all,

as you can see I am a new mom :) well not so new now Kaspar (m) and Kuna (f) are 14 weeks. They are brother and sister from the same litter. They are doing great so far but we have a few concerns!

We have recently noticed that they are starting to play h*mp. We have every intention of neutering them when old enough. What can we do in the meantime?

Also since we moved them to their outside kennel they have started to toilet in the house again....at a loss as to what to do with this as we leave the door open when they are inside so that they can go out if they want.

Hi Ciara and a big welcome to you and your little furries …

Not sure about the toilet situation, other than scenting.

And the hu*pping I’d leave them to it to a degree. I think they need to practice hormonal behaviours to enable stimulation of important chemicals to aid healthy development, especially while they are so young. There’s a lot going on that we don’t see.

Hi Clara

i agree with what Janet said . just leave them to it and monitor it .but normally a quick "no" is enough to distract them.

as for the toileting. what i do with my girls when i let them in from the kennel is leave back door etc closed let them run be excited. make a big fuss of them and then when they calm down a little they all normally then go off and do there stuff. i praise them and then i let them into the house for more fuss..

Hi all,

Hi and Welcome to the best husky forum EVER! Look forward to seeing more pics of your furbabies.

Ok Re the dominating - at that age i truly belive it is harmles but puppies are so easily distracted you could justdivert their attention when you see that it is about to happen. I have three and they've all been done but I can now tell when my Storm (now 2 years) gets a little sparkle in his eye - i swear it glazes over :facepalm:- as soon as i see this I bring him back to reality with an excitable vocal tone and some off the cuff play. it rarely, rarely happens at home now.

Re the toileting - again it is early days but it is entirely possible that this will carry on until they can no longer detect their scent from their previous toileting action. I've been told that a cheap way to get rid of the smell (sometimes so slight we can't smell it) is to use washing up liquid or dishwasher tablets as they don't contain amonia. I personally used a product called Simple Solution - I found that to be the best I'd tried.

Bit odd - but I built a board for dog toilets - wherever the board went that's where the wees and poos went. It was a piece of ply about 4 x 5 ft with some 2 x 2 all around it then I siliconed lino to the board so I could clean it really easily and the 2x2 meant it didn't fall off the side. it was briliant. I just put paper on the board wrap it up when the dogs used it and then clean the lino. I had used that same board to toilet train all three dogs they were clean very quickly. but it does take patience. i hope this helps a bit :)51zDRfy4iNL._SS500_.jpg

Hi all,

humping - leave them to it, its them sorting out whose more dominant, a bit of play and all that jazz. if you keep interupting them they wont work out whose where in the pack.

urinating - EVERYTHING and i mean everything needs to be washed and scrubbed with a kennel grade cleaner like mistral (baby power scent smells lovely) to remove all smells. Then reintroduce, if it happens again wash/scrub well and then i would prob keep them on a house lead and each time they go to do it prevent them and take them outside. It will be a pain big time, but a couple of days they should get the message.

by using a kennel cleaner its aimed at breaking down the urine smell etc while discinfecting it safely with no harm to the dogs

Hello and welcome!

They look soooo cute!!! We are new to the forum and fairly new to the world of owing huskies (with Max being 10 months and mia 7 months)

We have similar problems (also with mia trying to h*mp max!) but we just try and distract them. We were also told it might be a dominance thing??

Hopefully we'll learn more from others on this thread.

Good luck and enjoy.:)

When we attempted to introduce a rescued stray Husky into our house. When they would fight, Ice would always mount (hump if I wasn't quick with "NO").

Ice is neutered, and the stray was not, so neutering may or may not solve it. Although what I witnessed was a dominance issue, yours may just be a play thing. All good advise above and best of luck.

Hi all,

hi and welcome ...its normal behaviour in puppies to h**p each other in play ..i agree just distract them ...sorry cant help with the other problem mine lives inside ..good luck