Why did you name your Husky?

ICE & SHADOW

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deiffen - I made up because I liked it. I always get what's his name?....Deefer? Deefer dog? No, Deiffen!!!!

Tango - Because I love the drink & he's always full of energy & bouncing about (also known as Tangles as he runs, turns quickly & gets his legs all tangled up)

Mishka - Has a couple of meanings but in Indian I believe it means 'gift of love' & she certainly is http://www.birthvillage.com/Name/Mishka

Marius (Marius de Romanus) is the keeper of Akasha and Enkil in Anne Rice's vampire cronicles he is a very old and wise vampire. My cats names are Akasha and Enkil :P so I thought Marius could be their keeper lol. Plus I love vampires :D movies and books :) I always had it planned out that I would get a purebred siberian husky and that I would name his Marius :D and here I am with my epic puppy <3

A-Ha! I thought you were an Anne Rice fan...your cat's names confirmed it for me...lol. I too, am a HUGE fan of Ms. Rice. I've been reading her for almost 30 years. Can't wait for her newest one to be released next month.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, so back to the pup's names. I like to keep with Russian (Siberian) or Nordic names. Zoya is a Russian name, meaning "life". She brought life back into our house after our first husky passed. Eisa is one of Loki's daughters in Norse mythology. Also, Eis means "ice" in German. My ancestry is German. I call her by Eis and Eisa.

Our first we chose a common Siberian Husky name, Dakota

Juneau, also a common Siberian Husky name

Diamond came to us as "Pink Diamond" which was just too silly, but she is a Diamond in the Rough so Diamond stayed

Denali is actually Kaniska's Ashen Hotshot (which is the nick name for the wild-land firefighting crew in Denali Na't park)

Non Siberians-

Rockie came as such from the shelter

Timber came to us being called Timber-wolf so we shortened it

Riley just looked like a Riley (if ya know what I mean!)

Aspen just seemed to fit our Aussie.

Tikaani is a Low Content WD and Tikaani means wolf.

Blaze's name just popped into mums head one day b4 we even got him - so blaze he was - his kc name is blazing thunder too :) (we choose that too lol)

i was looking at a pic of skyla n she was white n fluffy like a cloud with sky blue eyes so i told my mum skye - she said its too common n added the la to the end - when we named them i didnt know another blaze and only 1 other skyla

ETA: skyla gets called skyla-bear now as she looks like a polar bear lol - which suits her kc name which is wonderful white bear - we didnt choose that 1 but she lives up2 it so much

I named Embry after one of Twilights many werewolves :P My boyfriend hates it! haha but it's very fitting for him :)

Zoey was already named when we got her by her breeder, and it goes well with Embry so we kept it.

Nova means "new" in latin. And a Nova is a star that releases tremendous burst of energy, becoming temporarily extraordinarily bright, which is fitting for a gorgeous show baby

Tank (Bulldog) Because he was double the size of a regular bulldog and just destroyed anything in his way (Gentle giant though)

Bella (Bulldog) Because Bella means beautiful and she is by far the opposite.. Bless her wrinkly face :)

Sheldon (Sibe) The 4 guys and I couldn't agree on one, however, they all love the character Sheldon from the big bang theory.. I wanted Balto, from the childrens film about the wolf.. Apparently just because I own the dog, doesn't mean I get to name him :/

Ziva (Sibe) I named her after a character on NCIS, I'm addicted to the show and think they women is strong, independent and beautiful

Nanook = Polar Bear in Inuite And when we first saw her she was just like a polar bear puppy, white and fluffy and tubby, also found out afterward about Nanook of the North (Famous film about the inuit's of hudson bay from the early 1900's) from my mum after we told her the name! Her pedigree name is snow mist - but I thought I would feel a bit stupid shouting that in the park lol

Rynnie's proper name is Omryn Borealis.

Omryn is Chukchi for 'robust' and 'long life' - I had my boy for 15 years and hope that Ryn can stay with me for just as long. Her middle name "Borealis" has a double meaning... Her mother is Aurora and who can think of Aurora without Borealis. Also, when I asked for help in naming her, sara came up with Borealis. ..... (and BOrealis begins with Bo - my first husky's name)

There were no major meanings behind our names, but connections to things we love.

Alice was named for three things that were loved by my hubby and I. 1) Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit Song 2) Alice in Wonderland 3.) Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Resturaunt.

Grace was named for Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane and for the fact that she saved us by Grace, by coming into our lives on the same day Alice passed. :)

Jax - I've loved the name since seeing The Secret of Roan Inish

Ahsoka and Kessel - both come from Star Wars. We are uber geeks at my house

Shadow - is only 7 weeks old and we may change his name, but he is always right there at our feet like a shadow. We talked about naming him Gryphon - which my girls love because of Harry Potter (a tenuous connection, but good enough for them)

Mojo or JoJo - another of the pups we are keeping. May also end up with another name, but my girls just love those name for a little girl.

Kuma came to us with the name Bear. We like names that are more unique so decided to go with Kuma which is the Japanese word for bear. Also we like Asian culture. However his name never got officially switched to Kuma. We called him Kuma Bear for a long time planning to drop the bear but nope never happened haha. I still call him Kuma here on the forum and he will respond to it but at home he mostly still goes by Bear.

Tank (Bulldog) Because he was double the size of a regular bulldog and just destroyed anything in his way (Gentle giant though)

Bella (Bulldog) Because Bella means beautiful and she is by far the opposite.. Bless her wrinkly face :)

Sheldon (Sibe) The 4 guys and I couldn't agree on one, however, they all love the character Sheldon from the big bang theory.. I wanted Balto, from the childrens film about the wolf.. Apparently just because I own the dog, doesn't mean I get to name him :/

Ziva (Sibe) I named her after a character on NCIS, I'm addicted to the show and think they women is strong, independent and beautiful

I absolutely LOVE that you named him Sheldon after the big bang theory. I almost want to name our pup that now. Its a fun break from Star Wars names for us. :)

I absolutely LOVE that you named him Sheldon after the big bang theory. I almost want to name our pup that now. Its a fun break from Star Wars names for us. :)

Haha, thanks! Your pups names are awesome!! My OH is a massive geek to, I'll have to tell him about your guys later, I bet our next one will be named after something from star wars now, lol. :)

My oh has always wanted a husky called Kodi since he was little, he already had a plush husky with the name! He wasn't going to budge unless the name didn't really suit the pup. As soon as we saw and fell in love with our little one when we first saw him at 3 weeks, we knew he was our little Kodi!