SPCA seizes 45 dogs in Saint-Basile

Elyse

The New Brunswick SPCA has shut down another puppy mill in northern New Brunswick, seizing 45 sick dogs from a home in Saint-Basile.

The owner could be facing charges of neglect and failing to provide proper medical care, said chief animal protection officer Paul Melanson.

"All the dogs have had either an eye or ear infection," he said.

"They were infected with fleas and mites and there has been five that had been in vet care since the seizure due to the condition of them."

The dogs were seized late last week after the SPCA received a tip about the unlicensed kennel, which is located near Edmundston, said Melanson.

As of December 2010, all kennels in the province have to be licensed and inspected on an annual basis.

"It's becoming more prevalent and I think that the public is realizing since the licensing started, they're looking to see the facility before they buy," said Melanson.

"We get a lot of phone calls asking if the people are licensed or not."

The latest seizure is the second major one in the area in the past two-and-a-half months.

On Oct. 27, 149 dogs, including newborns, were taken from another unlicensed kennel.

The five dogs from the latest seizure that are too sick to be moved are being housed at a clinic in St. Jacques.

Meanwhile, the Oromocto SPCA took in 25 of the dogs, while the other 15 are at the Fredericton SPCA.

All of the dogs will be bathed, dewormed, and vaccinated and many will be placed in foster care until they're adopted.

Source: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/spca-seizes-45-dogs-saint-basile-003858973.html;_ylt=Ao6tOAh6dzoIHMonLOp4tIt1ssB_;_ylu=X3oDMTQ4YWYyajFhBG1pdANUb3BTdG9yeSBTY2llbmNlU0YgQW5pbWFsc1NTRgRwa2cDZDI3OTk1MGQtMjg3ZS0zZjFjLThiMjgtYTE1NTA4NzY2NzcwBHBvcwMxMwRzZWMDdG9wX3N0b3J5BHZlcgNiNzYyNmM2MC00MTc3LTExZTEtOWJmZS03ZDIyN2I0NjdhMzg-;_ylg=X3oDMTIzdDNkOHVvBGludGwDY2EEbGFuZwNlbi1jYQRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANzY2llbmNlfGFuaW1hbHMEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnMEdGVzdAM-;_ylv=3

its awful i feel so sorry for these dogs being used as breeding machines and kept in the conditions they are i hope all the dogs recover and find lovely homes x