possibly very silly question

Sidharta

This is possibly a very dumb question, but knowing the answer will help me to sleep better...

My puppy and I live in a very high building... She is still little, but is demonstranting curiosity for the windows.

I never had a dog in a apartment before, and noticed that a lot of neighbours have protetion grid in the windows. Should I be worried? Is there actually a risk of the dog falling (or jumping)?

I think there is quite a chance... imagine a pigeon flying by and your puppy jumping out the window to catch it. Mine is very interested in pigeon flying in front of the windows and even just hearing dogs barking outside gets him a bit excited and wanting to go see what's happening. So we make sure he is not around when we open windows. Especially windows that have furniture close to them, which would facilitate jumping/falling.

I think that the fact that dogs don't necessarily have a sense of height has been proven by the countless dogs that have fell off cliffs, windows and so on. Also there have been dogs jumping from a moving car... now that should really say something about how much you can rely on dogs to understand that certain things are dangerous.

This is possibly a very dumb question, but knowing the answer will help me to sleep better...

My puppy and I live in a very high building... She is still little, but is demonstranting curiosity for the windows.

I never had a dog in a apartment before, and noticed that a lot of neighbours have protetion grid in the windows. Should I be worried? Is there actually a risk of the dog falling (or jumping)?

Of course, like there is with any window. I'd get some yourself.

Stacey xxx

With a husky even the seemingly impossible is very probable lol. Kiana has almost fell out our second story window when she was a pup to get at an airplane (don't ask she has issues lol) I'm glad your going to secure it never leave anything to chance with a husky for they will always manage to give that :wtf: moment

Yeah, there's always a chance of them doing something stupid, like jumping out of a window to catch something.

Or, in my case, jumping out of my 2nd story room window, onto the roof, and down on the ground to explore the neighbourhood.

theres always a chance :)

just ask Andy whos boy darwin can actually open windows himself

OHhhhhhh yeah, we thought our single glazed windows were safe.

Uh Uh. . . nope.

First time we assumed we'd left the window open on the locking bar.

second time I was SURE the window was closed

Third time I was 100% positive the window was closed. !!!

Cost me £117 to get him back from the Dog Warden.

He nudged the locking bar off the pegs at the bottom of the window

then. . .

got his teeth on the handle and rotated it 90 degrees then simply nudged the window open . . . Voila !!

He'd watch us opening the window and figured out the mechanics himself.

Too damn clever.

If he had thumbs he'd be working for NASA.

So in answer to your original question. . .

NO !! do not trust your pooch with an unsecured window.

get window locks or put a bolt or screw in to make sure it's secure.

A lot of great answers, thanks a lot. We will secure it asap...

Like I said, this could be considered a silly question, but imo, it is very difficult to know untill what point dogs understand the modern enviroment.

A 30 store building is very different of the original enviroment that the dogs evolved from. I know that she has some degree of a normal "height fear", like when she is on the couch and can't get down alone, but I am not sure she would recognize a height that bigger as a danger, since it not something her ancestors had to face...