Need advice until vet opens tomorrow

Nikki Bridgeman

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tiny cut on his cheek, cleaned it up with a bit of salt water, and suddenly discovered... A 2inch patch of dark red skin, fur falling out in tiny clumps, and now it's oozing.

There's no vet open on the island until tomorrow, I don't have any dog friendly antibacterial stuff... what on earth do i do? he's whimpering

What is it oozing? Pus? Does it smell funny/weird? Is it still bleeding?

Do you have any antibacterial/antiseptic sprays or ointment you can put on? Digging through your first aid kit will suffice...look for hydrogen peroxide or bactine.

If you put hydrogen peroxide on the cut, and if there's still blood, the hydrogen peroxide will 'eat away' at the blood and it will appear to be white foamy and might also make quiet snapping sounds. But its a good disinfectant.

Also, iodine is okay if you don't have anything else...but it hurts like crazy! I had to use some iodine on Suka when he got attacked by an opossum as I didn't have anything else available, and I thought he would hate me forever!

Could this be an allergy? we've just changed his food from tinned to dry kibble, and he's barely eaten for the last few days :/

I don't have any of those :/ I have a bottle of 'TCP' I could water down if it's safe to use on him, And there are some 'alcohol free wipes' in the first aid kit, but that's all it says on the pack, doesn't say what's in them

Warm salty water can be used to lightly bathe the affected area. You could use a human antiseptic cream but it's application may prove uncomfortable for him. I don't wish to alarm you but if it's oozing and his fur is falling out it sounds as though it's infected. Please note I'm no expert this is only my personal view

Is there an emergency vet you can ring for advice?

Please keep us informed on how he's doing

Could this be an allergy? we've just changed his food from tinned to dry kibble, and he's barely eaten for the last few days :/

I don't have any of those :/ I have a bottle of 'TCP' I could water down if it's safe to use on him, And there are some 'alcohol free wipes' in the first aid kit, but that's all it says on the pack, doesn't say what's in them

I wouldn't think it would be an allergy if his cut is oozing, but I'm not an expert.

I looked up TCP on the internet, and it is an antiseptic...but it says to dilute it with water..."Dilute 1 part TCP with 1 part water and apply freely. (TCP may be used undiluted in an emergency).". Apparently its safe for dogs, as long as they don't swallow any. Its not safe for cats, it'll kill them, so if you have any cats keep them away from the stuff.

I don't think the alcohol-free wipes will help much...because its the alcohol that would prevent infection. However, if it is already infected, you'd have to go to the vet to get medication to give to him to prevent his whole body from going septic.

I tried the salt water but it seems so much worse now, would 'germolene' be ok? It say's it's antiseptic.

The only 24hr vet on the island doesn't do call outs, and I can't get to them without a car. I'll have to wait for our vet to open in the morning

The pictures are blurry but i've put them up just incase

Yeah, it looks infected. :(

Suka's paw looked red like that when it was infected.

I'm not entirely sure...never heard of it.

How long has it been oozing? I think Suka's paw was infected for a good 5 days before I noticed (it was smelly funny), the vet had us put antibiotic ointment on and in the paw (not an easy task!) and he was fine within a week or so.

I gave it a quick wipe with tcp, but he really didn't like it and started howling, so washed it off with some warm water and put a thin layer of germolene on and he's really settled down. He's curled up with his tail wrapped around his face now, bless him! I'll stay up with him until we can go to the vet, just incase

Thanks for all the advice guys! :) x

Germolene is find for use on dogs as I've used it on Polee previously following a suggestion from our Vet

The 24hr Vet maybe able to offer you some clinical advice over the phone

hi ..coulnt get a good look on pics ...all good advice you have been given ..nothing more to add ..hope you manage to get it sorted ..

He had to be shaved :-(

Pyoderma and an allergy is the best they've come up with so far. He's on a bunch of stuff that should sort it, and going back tuesday to confirm the diagnosis with the test results. £800 so far :jawdrop: lol

He seems better already, it's not weeping or bleeding any-more, they put him under, shaved and scrubbed and cleaned it out. He's got an ear infection in one ear, and the other is completely blocked up, so he's got ear drops to try and sort that out.

In the picture you can see the side that had the initial hot spot, but when the vet was able to have a lose up look and he was sedated, they found more tiny patches around the other side, under his chin and around his eyes, so most of the other side has been shaved too.

I cannot believe how quickly this thing spread! It went from a tiny cut we we're bathing and cleaning, which seemed to be healing, to a huge mass like that in less than 24 hours.

Just relieved to know he's getting sorted now, even if it means the rent money is gone! lol

Thanks for all the advice guys xxx

post-5659-13586016252166_thumb.jpg