Opinions on crate training, please

kper

With a possible new 10 month old entering the house I was debating on the crate training issue. Our master bath is right off the bedroom and was wondering if it would be a bad idea to baby gate her in the bathroom at night with a place to sleep vs crating her?

I'm not sure why I'm at odds with this decision.

Suka isn't crate trained, and we live perfectly fine without it. He usually sleeps in my room (with my door closed), so there's no issue of him chewing up stuff. He's not a problem dog, though, so I guess it varies with your situation and your dog.

For instance, someone is almost always home in the house...so there's no need to crate train him during the day.

But, when we do go out and we can't find a doggy sitter (he's got separation anxiety, we think.), somebody trained him very well so he stays in our SUV without complaining or wanting to get out.

Some of mine would honor the baby gate, and some wouldn't, which is one reason I prefer the idea of crate training. She may not be happy staying even that far separated from you at night - at least you could place a crate right beside the bed, if there's room.

As an added benefit, there are times where it's very useful if they are trained to stay calmly and quietly in a crate, for example, if they need to spend a day at the vet's, or if they're injured and need to be kept quiet for an extended period of time. When Trooper tore his cruciate ligament, I had to leave him crated pretty much 24/7 for the first couple of weeks so it could at least get a start on healing... Additionally, if you have space in your vehicle, it's the safest way for a dog to ride - in case of an accident, it can keep the dog from being thrown around inside of your car - or from being thrown out, and keeps an excited dog from interfering with your driving...

Some of mine would honor the baby gate, and some wouldn't, which is one reason I prefer the idea of crate training. She may not be happy staying even that far separated from you at night - at least you could place a crate right beside the bed, if there's room.

As an added benefit, there are times where it's very useful if they are trained to stay calmly and quietly in a crate, for example, if they need to spend a day at the vet's, or if they're injured and need to be kept quiet for an extended period of time. When Trooper tore his cruciate ligament, I had to leave him crated pretty much 24/7 for the first couple of weeks so it could at least get a start on healing... Additionally, if you have space in your vehicle, it's the safest way for a dog to ride - in case of an accident, it can keep the dog from being thrown around inside of your car - or from being thrown out, and keeps an excited dog from interfering with your driving...

I just wanted to comment on this...

When Suka had to stay at the vet's overnight in a crate (He was recovering from something. I forget now...maybe getting x-rays?), I asked about his behaviour afterward. They said he behaved in the crate and they didn't believe me when I say I didn't think he was crate trained! So, now I don't know what to think anymore. Is he crate trained and he just didn't like the crate because it reminded him of the humane society cages? Or was he just manipulating us!?

And, for the car, we have one of those dog seatbelt things. It's kinda like a harness and it goes around his body.

But, every dog is different and I think Suka is just weird. He usually sleeps in the car and doesn't care about things like another dog would. I'd follow Gigi's advice. :)

Although...I don't understand how a crate would keep your dog safe in the car in case of an accident. The crate would still be thrown around, the crate could still hit you in the head, and the crate could still fly out of the car. Unless you strapped it down, but even still, straps can easily break or snap in a crash. It might reduce his injury, but he would also be trapped in the car if it went up in flames...

I just wanted to comment on this...

When Suka had to stay at the vet's overnight in a crate (He was recovering from something. I forget now...maybe getting x-rays?), I asked about his behaviour afterward. They said he behaved in the crate and they didn't believe me when I say I didn't think he was crate trained! So, now I don't know what to think anymore. Is he crate trained and he just didn't like the crate because it reminded him of the humane society cages? Or was he just manipulating us!?

And, for the car, we have one of those dog seatbelt things. It's kinda like a harness and it goes around his body.

But, every dog is different and I think Suka is just weird. He usually sleeps in the car and doesn't care about things like another dog would. I'd follow Gigi's advice. :)

Although...I don't understand how a crate would keep your dog safe in the car in case of an accident. The crate would still be thrown around, the crate could still hit you in the head, and the crate could still fly out of the car. Unless you strapped it down, but even still, straps can easily break or snap in a crash. It might reduce his injury, but he would also be trapped in the car if it went up in flames...

It may be that the strangeness of the vets - not being home - made the cage there seem more of a safe place? Did they sedate him? That could have helped make it easier for him, too. Sometimes very hard to know what goes on in their furry little heads!

If they're in a crate in a car, as long as the crate isn't too large, they can brace themselves in it, and it can give some protection from being shaken about - think of how the steel cage of a race car protects the driver who rolls his race car. Yes, in case of a fire, the dog could be trapped - same as with a seat belt. There are far more people (and dogs) who are killed by being ejected from a vehicle (or thrown into the windshield) than because they were trapped inside the vehicle when there was fire - or water, for that matter!

It may be that the strangeness of the vets - not being home - made the cage there seem more of a safe place? Did they sedate him? That could have helped make it easier for him, too. Sometimes very hard to know what goes on in their furry little heads!

If they're in a crate in a car, as long as the crate isn't too large, they can brace themselves in it, and it can give some protection from being shaken about - think of how the steel cage of a race car protects the driver who rolls his race car. Yes, in case of a fire, the dog could be trapped - same as with a seat belt. There are far more people (and dogs) who are killed by being ejected from a vehicle (or thrown into the windshield) than because they were trapped inside the vehicle when there was fire - or water, for that matter!

I think he was recovering from sedation. But when he was fully recovered from it, he still didn't freak out like he did at home....but he sure wanted to get out the vet's office really quick when I came to pick him up!

That's true, but even still...if there's enough room for the crate to bounce around (like in the back of my Dad's SUV. There's enough space for 3 huskies!) I'm pretty sure the crate would break through a window unless it was properly secured. Or smack my head - one of the two!

I mentioned this to my Dad still, though, and he's confident that himself, my brother, or myself won't get into any bad crashes. We're all good drivers and we seem to be able to predict other people's movements before they do it...I guess its an instinctual thing because I've had a few close calls when some idiot cut in front of me, but I somehow 'knew' he was going to do that in my gut. Hard to describe, really...I guess my instincts are just really strong.

When Zeeva (my GSD) was a puppy, I baby gated her at night but she didn't like it so I got her a crate and would leave it open. She'd go in it voluntarily and seemed to find comfort there. I use it now on days like NYE or 4th of July when we have fireworks. She's terrified of fireworks. I think it's a good way to keep them safe for a couple of hours but not for more than that... :)

My 2 love their crates! I was hesitant at first, like you, but I didn't predict how much they'd like it. On occassion they'll hop in there together and cuddle up.

So long as you introduce it gently and make it a positive experience there are huge advantages to it. (teething stage being just one of them!)

As for the car...we use harnesses as personally feel they are more protective than crates. But, I think thats one that is still well and truly up for debate. Lol.

My lot love their crate, it's a 'calm' space. They even manage to open the catch on the outside to get in, and pull the door closed behind themselves. A crate is only bad if it's used incorrectly, and I agree with sutsibe about using them in a car. The reason being in the event of a crash, it may help prevent your dog not just being thrown free of a car, but stop that then distressed dog wandering into other traffic and being knocked down and killed

With a possible new 10 month old entering the house I was debating on the crate training issue. Our master bath is right off the bedroom and was wondering if it would be a bad idea to baby gate her in the bathroom at night with a place to sleep vs crating her?

I'm not sure why I'm at odds with this decision.

mine are crate trained and its such a handy 'tool'. going on holiday, visiting friends, friends visiting who dont like dogs, travelling in a car safely, spending time at the vets, on rest due to injury etc. what ever it is crate training means at any time the dog can have a place of safety and security where ever they are.

IMO one of the best tools to have with dogs

I borrowed a crate originally because my smaller Border Collie went through a stage of 'toilet' in the house - even though he was toilet trained. It was spite as he only did it when I'd left him at home & gone out (even for 20mins!) and he had the company of my elder BC.

He's always been an insecure dog & he loved the security it offered. He'd often go in it, door open, to lie down when I was watching TV.

I got one for Mishka before I even got her. It's big enough for all 3 of mine to go in, I just put some mesh in to make it smaller while she was a pup (saved buying a larger one latter on). She's been in it ever since. It's her bed, her quiet place & she'll often take a bone or chew in there.

As she got older, she got a little unsettled with the boys loose so, as Tango liked the security when he was younger, I put Tango in with her. They both go happily in & out of the crate to bed, just for a rest etc & I've had no chewing issues off Mishka.

They are both crated while I'm at work with friends going in during the day to let them out to 'loo' or even to sit for an hour or so. At night I often let Mishka sleep on my bed now & the boys sleep either side of it.

I can't recommend a crate enough, some people hate them & consider them cruel, I thing they are a good tool to give your dog security, safety & stop them destroying your home while you are out. Mine (all 3) now use it as a 'get away' space when they can't be bothered, even my big BC who never had/needed a crate.

In the car (Peugeot 306), the rear seats are permanently fixed down so they have the whole of the rear. It's only my 'dog'/work car. I made a thick mesh dog guard so they are separated from the front.

This is the crate I have:

Edit - excuse the walls, in the middle of decorating :oops:;)

post-3916-13586014867455_thumb.jpg

This is the crate I have:

This was going to be my next question. I have a crate but wasn't sure of the best size. I know "they" say large enough for them to turn around in but that hardly seems big enough to me. What is everyone using and where in the house do you keep it/them?

Thanks for all the insight!!

This was going to be my next question. I have a crate but wasn't sure of the best size. I know "they" say large enough for them to turn around in but that hardly seems big enough to me. What is everyone using and where in the house do you keep it/them?

Thanks for all the insight!!

I bought mine off ebay, 48inch, £40 delivered iirc?

I read when they are puppies, they only need enough room to stand, lie & turn around. Any more room & they will crap/pee in it - they don't usually 'loo' in their 'space'. Simple thing to do is cable tie a piece of mesh across to make it smaller then you are only buying once ;)

Mine is in the corner of my lounge, out of the way of everything else but the dogs can still see me (if they go in there just to rest). They all like to know where I am, I can't go to the loo without one of them following me :lolman:

I crate them in the van because its safer for them. have never used a crate at home just put up baby gates in kitchen and hall and when thorn was a pup he had the run of the kitchen and never wrecked anything. ive been lucky with mine that they havent been destructive as you know they can be!lol around the house. a crate is a good thing but not for everyone its personal choice. its a safe place for them to go.my boys like being in it in the van and jump in!:)

I have a funny story about containing a husky in a bathroom!!! When we first had Aslan, we literally didnt know we were getting another that morning. So not having a crate or knowing if he would take to one. We took the decision to confine him in a room where we THOUGHT he could do the least damage. With no electrical cables carpet etc. Well when I came down in the morning the lino was all pulled up, he had stood on the toilet to reach shelves 6 foot off the floor and pulled everything off and chewed others. He even climbed all over the bath lol. That day on he goes in a crate lol.

id b worried bout confining him in the bathroom unless ur gonna take everything out of it LOL

we never crated Blaze but we HAD 2 crate skyla as she chewed EVERYTHING she could get her paws on - including the wires to the fishtank :confused: that could have ended badly

she took to it really well n only had a few crying sessions when we left her in it n went out but she got used to it really quickly

h6.jpg

Purchased a 42" kennel, set it up in the bedroom, showed it to her and she went right in. Actually, she went in, turned around and came back out, bumped my nose with her nose (I was sitting on the floor), went back in and laid down. She stayed there for half an hour until I took her out to potty!

I should add that we have closed the door to the room and closet, and left her kennel door open only because we think this might work. We'll see.

Thanks everyone!

BTW... your stories are great!:doglaugh: