She's Home!! (Pics)

kper

Received a surprise call from the shelter today and they said we could come in and take our rescue husky home 2 days early! yay! I don't know if it was the fact that I was at the shelter walking her every day for 3 days, but whatever it was it worked! Was good bonding time, too!

This has to be the most mellow husky I have ever seen, bar none. The only sound out of her mouth was a couple barks from her kennel in the van on the way home. Once home she was only interested in being with us. She showed some interest in her surroundings but wouldn't explore unless we went with her (I wanted it that way, anyhow so that was great).

She doesn't show any signs of food aggression (if any of you followed our tale about 6-8 months ago you know this was most important on our list). When I placed my hand in her bowl she stopped eating and resumed when I took it out. She also took food from my hand very delicately. yay for now!

She lays down within view of us but won't move if we leave the room and it doesn't matter for how long. She also seems comfortable enough that she doesn't keep an eye on us, either, and noises don't even stir her. She seems to be able to take us or leave us one moment but then if she sees me on the floor she will come over and look me straight in the eye with very slow, gentle motions until I pet her. Then she will take all the loving we dish out with the slightest wag of the tail. She looks us in the eye and seems to like it when we place our face near hers and talk to her softly. Never have I seen a husky wear their emotions on their face like this one. When I had to leave her at the shelter she would sit right next to me while I was kneeling after I removed her leash and press her forehead into my chest and go motionless. Broke my heart.

Take her outside and she livens up (somewhat). When I jog with her she places herself directly in front of me and seems to concentrate on the path ahead. But once back inside she is as mellow as can be. I got her to shred a paper towel I had in my hand and she even did that with overwhelming gentleness! That is the most excitement I have seen from her indoors. I take that back... I whistled to her once and she jumped to her feet.

The shelter says in the week she has been there she never went potty in her kennel. There were times she was in there 12 hours and never relieved herself indoors.

She has been laying at the foot of the bed on the floor now for an hour. It wouldn't surprise me to find her in that very spot in the morning. Strange... but I'm loving her to pieces!

Sorry for the blurry photos...

h7.jpg

h9.jpg

Below: enjoying a neck scratch....

h8.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure of exact age, yet. The shelter folks are guessing about 10 to 12 months.

We have named her Ahna (with a short "A"). That's Inuit for "Wise Woman". She needed something soft to match her demeanor.

I have always loved Inuit names :heartbeat: they sound beautiful. Nice pick, Kyle! ;) Have fun with your little wise lady! She got such a beautiful coat :wub:

I have to give my wife the credit for the name. And you better believe we'll be to the next camp! We would have made it last year but our Kenai lost the battle in August and things fell apart.

HuskyHijinx I noticed you are in MN. We originally went to the shelter to look at a senior husky and found Ahna. Anyway, the senior had serious hip issues and was supposed to arrive at Homeward Bound Rescue in MN today. Not sure where it is, though. Found that out through our transportation circle... I am part of a pet transport. A group of folks that volunteer their time and vehicles to get animals to rescues across the midwest.

Thanks everyone! I'm sure pics will be coming.:)

Received a surprise call from the shelter today and they said we could come in and take our rescue husky home 2 days early! yay! I don't know if it was the fact that I was at the shelter walking her every day for 3 days, but whatever it was it worked! Was good bonding time, too!

This has to be the most mellow husky I have ever seen, bar none. The only sound out of her mouth was a couple barks from her kennel in the van on the way home. Once home she was only interested in being with us. She showed some interest in her surroundings but wouldn't explore unless we went with her (I wanted it that way, anyhow so that was great).

She doesn't show any signs of food aggression (if any of you followed our tale about 6-8 months ago you know this was most important on our list). When I placed my hand in her bowl she stopped eating and resumed when I took it out. She also took food from my hand very delicately. yay for now!

She lays down within view of us but won't move if we leave the room and it doesn't matter for how long. She also seems comfortable enough that she doesn't keep an eye on us, either, and noises don't even stir her. She seems to be able to take us or leave us one moment but then if she sees me on the floor she will come over and look me straight in the eye with very slow, gentle motions until I pet her. Then she will take all the loving we dish out with the slightest wag of the tail. She looks us in the eye and seems to like it when we place our face near hers and talk to her softly. Never have I seen a husky wear their emotions on their face like this one. When I had to leave her at the shelter she would sit right next to me while I was kneeling after I removed her leash and press her forehead into my chest and go motionless. Broke my heart.

Take her outside and she livens up (somewhat). When I jog with her she places herself directly in front of me and seems to concentrate on the path ahead. But once back inside she is as mellow as can be. I got her to shred a paper towel I had in my hand and she even did that with overwhelming gentleness! That is the most excitement I have seen from her indoors. I take that back... I whistled to her once and she jumped to her feet.

The shelter says in the week she has been there she never went potty in her kennel. There were times she was in there 12 hours and never relieved herself indoors.

She has been laying at the foot of the bed on the floor now for an hour. It wouldn't surprise me to find her in that very spot in the morning. Strange... but I'm loving her to pieces!

Sorry for the blurry photos...

h7.jpg

h9.jpg

Below: enjoying a neck scratch....

h8.jpg

shes lovley ...really pleased for u both ..enjoy x:)

Thanks, everyone.

We shut the bedroom door last night, left her kennel door open and gave her free run of the bedroom and bath. What a treat she was. No accidents and she came to my side of the bed and sneezed right before I logged off the forum for the night, so we went outside where she promptly relieved herself and we went right back to bed. She spent most of the night in the bathroom on the rug. First thing this morning (5:30) I was stirring a bit when I heard her sneeze, again, next to the bed and I rolled over to great her face looking at me through the darkness so we went outside and she pottied. Now she's laying at my feet after her breakfast while I sit on the floor on the computer. What a doll... I keep waiting for some horrible trait to rear it's ugly head but so far no signs of anything bad. Is it possible to have a golden retriever in husky clothing? lol

I know I've posted a lot in the last few days but this all seems like a dream for me. Never thought I'd find another one with the same traits as Kenai!

It's great hearing about her :) Do you know anything about her history and how she ended up in a shelter ?

The assistant director told me that she was on her way to the shelter and saw Ahna and a lab trotting down the road right in front of the shelter. She stopped, opened her door and said, " Let's go!" They both jumped in and the rest is history. Ahna had a collar with paw print images on it so somebody owned her. All we have is one more day and if the shelter doesn't get a call she's here to stay! I can't believe somebody isn't looking for her.

Kyle, sounds like Ahna was meant for you. Congratulations. Looking forward to meeting you both in September. We got Eisa from a shelter, and from what you posted, it could have been Eisa's story. Eisa is also laid back and just the best, we can hardly believe it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using forumrunner.