List of commands

Seren

Hello,

Serens nearly 10months so want to go back to basics on all the training i've done with her, before she reaches 1.

My minds gone blank, so can anyone think of any commands that they need to know such as 'No/Stop' etc

Also any more complex commands that can come in really handy that I could try with her?

I like "off" - it can mean don't jump up on a person, or on a thing, such as a counter or table. "Leave it", "give", and of course the usual "sit", "down" (meaning lay down, as opposed to "off"), "stay" (stay where you are, in whatever position you are in, until I release you), as well as "wait" (stay where you are, in whatever position you are in, until I call you to me)...

Fun ones: "give paw", "shake (hands)", "give five", "high five", and a little harder - (once down has been learned) "dead dog!" (I've taught this one as "Bang! bang!/Dead dog" along with pointing a finger)...

Ha ha, dead dog sounds like a good one!

How would you go about teaching 'off' ?? The others she knows and i'm gonna go through again, but 'off' would come in handy!

I read somewhere about 'stop' as in stop doing what your doing, but she doesn't seem to get it (and i'm probably doing it wrong)

Ha ha, dead dog sounds like a good one!

How would you go about teaching 'off' ?? The others she knows and i'm gonna go through again, but 'off' would come in handy!

I read somewhere about 'stop' as in stop doing what your doing, but she doesn't seem to get it (and i'm probably doing it wrong)

I honestly don't remember how do I teach Diamond the word "off" (I use the word "no") :rolleyes: but what I did is every time he did something undesirable (drinking from the fish pond, entering my parent's bedroom etc etc) I said "no!" and blocked his way to the place/object. Or maybe slight punishment such as a short, sharp touch on his neck. Now whenever he's misbehaving I can sit few meters away from him enjoying a tasty hot chocolate without fearing that he'd damage anything. I only need to say "NO!" and he'll freeze like a statue--or sometimes jumped backwards as if he was jolted by a lightning bolt. Just use the word to mark anything bad, so that he knows anytime u say "no" (or "off") it means whatever he's doing (or about to do) is bad and he should stop/stay away from it.

We also use 'heel' (come sit at my side), 'in front' (come sit in front of me), 'mine' (drop / leave whatever you've got, handy when she's picked up something she shouldn't) and 'no more' (stop what you're doing), as well as the usual sit, drop, stand, stay, wait, come, leave it (leave the other dogs alone), watch me (look at me instead of the distractions), paw (stand there and don't move while I touch / pick up your feet), high five, shake, off, up etc.

With stay and wait, the way we learnt to distinguish between the two and to not confuse the dog is that stay is you going back to your dog and wait is calling your dog to you (or giving them another command).

I taught off and up at the same time with Juno by having treats and luring her on to things and saying 'up!' and luring her off things while saying 'off'. There's probably a quicker process but she learned it over time so that's all that matters. (:

Here's another set of fun tricks you can teach Seren :)

Other Hand--if she uses her right paw for shake hand then ask for her left paw

Hi! (or bye)--lift one of her paw up in the air when u lift ur hand from a distance

Bow--that "let's play" position

Circle--going on a full circle chasing her tail

Crawl--drag herself to you in lie down position

I've taught mine to "sit", "Down", "off" (Gigi and Becky's influence :P), "wait" (meaning I want them to wait and don't move) and "break", which is my release command. Ri also does "paw" now, too and Shi's working on "heel" and I have her working on "spin" too because that's what she does when I let her out of her kennel :D .

And soon as I get my three days off started in Feb, I'm really going to work with them on the rest of my list, starting with "leg" so it'll make putting a pulling harness on them easier. Other stuff I want to do, like "place", meaning I want them to come and stand 'tween my legs, for harnessing or if I'm just standing there and... well there's a bunch more.

Besides some obvious ones like sit, stay, come, lay down etc. I would recommend really working on getting them to not jump up. From my experience huskies LOVE to jump up and it is probably one of the hardest things to teach. It can be scary for strangers/kids and people who do not like dogs. I've tried really hard to get Kojee to stop and hes gotten a lot better but I find once he has jumped up he does not want to listen when I say "down". Ive recently been thinking that I should start teaching him "OFF" instead of "down" because it is a unique sounding word where as "down" sounds like "lay down" and I think is a bit confusing to him. One trick I was wanting to teach Kojee was to crawl but I am not sure how to get him to stay in the crawl position. Everytime I try and get him to crawl towards me he just gets up lol. Anyway have fun!