Question about dewclaws

heatherp438

Are they rear or front dew claws? Alot of people have the rear ones removed because they can snag on things and tear which is extremely painful for the dog. The front ones I would never even consider removing as I believe they are connected to the bone while the rear ones are connected by a lost tissue. It's a preference thing really but I personally would have the rear ones removed to avoid any future pain. I'm having Kiana's one rear one removed with her upcoming spay.

Its no longer legal to remove dew claws from puppies (technically...though i'm sure there are still some vets and breeders that do it) unless they present a problem. The dew claws are fine but you will occassionally have to trim them as they wont get exactly the same wear as the rest. Particularly in puppies.

If dew claws do become a problem vets will sometimes remove them during a neutering op, but depends on the vet.

My parents had a whippet a few years ago that ripped his dew claw on christmas eve so went under anaesthetic to have it removed....several months later he did the same to the other foot and had to go under for a 2nd time!

Edit to add: Legal side is for the uk....it doesnt apply to all countries.