really worried about little girl husky

SteveyBear

Okay, so, 2 weeks ago, roughly, my Sister and her Boyfriend decided to buy a Husky, Pure White fur, she's a complete beauty, she is 4 months old, roughly. At first, her stomach wasn't the best, her poo's were very runny, being new food as it was a quick, buy her now thing, which my Sister and her Boyfriend are stupid, so they brought her thinking it would be all perfect and all. Either way, two weeks have passed, roughly that first phase of bad poop passed, and recently she had nice normal ones.

Past two days, her poo has started going horribly bad again, instead of it even being like runny, but her recent one or two have been literally, instead of it being poo, it's been liquid, and I have had to MOP it up, which obviously shouldn't be like that. I don't have a clue what's causing this and I am really worried about her, she was slightly thinner than normal when we got her, but she is decent now, thankfully.

We are feeding her on Gusto Puppy/Junior food, 3 bowls a day, morning midday and late evening, she gets water at all times too.

Any ideas, while writing this out, she has also had another mop up poo job.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1) has she been wormed?

2) How much food per bowl?

Over feeding a Siberian will give them the runs bad...especially if the food is rich. Siberians aren't a breed that eats off the charts, they often require less food than what manufactures recommend...Also you may want to start thinking about food allergies and sensitivities. Siberians are prone to sensitive tummy troubles and food allergies...I have one allergic to grains, dyes, and preservatives.

1) has she been wormed?

2) How much food per bowl?

Over feeding a Siberian will give them the runs bad...especially if the food is rich. Siberians aren't a breed that eats off the charts, they often require less food than what manufactures recommend...Also you may want to start thinking about food allergies and sensitivities. Siberians are prone to sensitive tummy troubles and food allergies...I have one allergic to grains, dyes, and preservatives.

1) We got told she had, but then again, we got told she had been de-flea'd and she hadn't, so I am not too sure, I will get that checked when I can.

2) We feed her about 200g per feed, since Huskies are bigger than normal dogs and she wasn't decent weight, I thought this would be okay.

I never knew Huskies were this difficult, doesn't mean I am going to give up on her though, unlike my Sister has already.

Has she always been fed on the same food you are giving her now? When we picked our baby up the breeder suggested to keep her on the same diet.

No, she isn't. The owners before didn't say what she was on apparently, but then again, my Sister told me that. Though, the other day she was poo-ing perfectly fine for a few days, and now it's just gone down hill.

She just did it again :/

we were also advised to keep our new pup,on the breeders food, we slowly introduced, the food we preferred ( better quality ).... the first few days of having shylah her poo's were awful, runny, and smelled real bad, but after 4-5 days of half breeders food and half our choice ...we noticed things had settled with her, and the poo's became normal...she now has a healthy appetite ( eats everything, not always our first choice, but apparently the garden has a whole host of digestable stuff ( only grass as far as we can tell ), and we have seen no adverse reaction.

she looks forward to every meal, would be very easy to over feed her....although going on my vets advice with regard to quantities :) very knowledgeable vet thank god :)

and each poo is of normal consistency. :)

1) We got told she had, but then again, we got told she had been de-flea'd and she hadn't, so I am not too sure, I will get that checked when I can.

2) We feed her about 200g per feed, since Huskies are bigger than normal dogs and she wasn't decent weight, I thought this would be okay.

I never knew Huskies were this difficult, doesn't mean I am going to give up on her though, unlike my Sister has already.

For sure have her checked for intestinal parasites! They can cause some big issues in growing puppies...Also, Siberian Huskies are a medium sized breed bred to operate on minimal amounts of food so over feeding is easy when we start thinking about how "big" they are. I always suggest breed specific books to first time owners, get to know and understand the breed to best integrate your life to them. They are not "fat"dogs so as long as you don't feel prominent ribs and their waist isn't too hour glass shaped they are most likely fine. Regular vet checks (weigh ins) will help keep track of your pups overall health. At 8 weeks old I was feeding approx 1/2 cup 3x's a day.

For sure have her checked for intestinal parasites! They can cause some big issues in growing puppies...Also, Siberian Huskies are a medium sized breed bred to operate on minimal amounts of food so over feeding is easy when we start thinking about how "big" they are. I always suggest breed specific books to first time owners, get to know and understand the breed to best integrate your life to them. They are not "fat"dogs so as long as you don't feel prominent ribs and their waist isn't too hour glass shaped they are most likely fine. Regular vet checks (weigh ins) will help keep track of your pups overall health. At 8 weeks old I was feeding approx 1/2 cup 3x's a day.

I will get her checked for internal parasites as soon as possible then. I had always thought of them to be of the larger breeds, but in that case, I do need to cut down on her food a bit then. What would you suggest, roughly?

If I knew my Sister was going to come home with her, I would have told her to check and all first, but she literally walked into my room with her one day, so it was stupid of her, in my opinion. I have researched animals before I get them, I have done it with Bearded Dragons, Corn Snakes, Royal Python, Rabbits, Hamsters and few others I have thought about owning.

In my experience, try her on chicken an rice, get wings or thighs an I used to microwave them then strip the meat, (absolutely no bones but pour any meat juice into the bowl) boiled plain rice and give that to her till she has normal poos, it's really effective, then worm her. I personally use a food called Autarky, one of mine has gluten intolerance and suffered for ages with intermittent runny poo. We tried well beloved, canin and dr burns but the autarky works best with Loki's gut. He has perfect poos all the time. A little patience and she'll be right as rain in about a fortnight.

Something else to consider once you have her pooing normally, if once she's better and she still toilets in the night you might consider a cage, she won't soil where she has to sleep and if she can leave her bed to poo across the kitchen, she may take advantage. But please do your homework first :)

No big deal, a lot of really happy husky homes start out this way :) I certainly did not do enough research before we got our first, now we have 9! It was not without help and advise that our pack became harmonious though! Start by getting yourself a breed specific book...I really liked New Owners Guide: Siberian Huskies by Kathleen Kanzler. Kathleen is very well known and respected in the Siberian Husky world.

As for feeding, get on a consistent diet...if you don't know what was being fed expect some intestinal distress while she adjusts to the new diet. This could take a couple weeks, depending on how rich the food you are feeding is compared to what was being fed. Feed small meals frequently, preferably 3 times a day. My last was eating between 1/3-1/2 cups 3 times per day at that age...you have to be in tune to body condition and over all health to get just the right balance. This group is always available for questions :) Good luck! and pics please!! :D

In my experience, try her on chicken an rice, get wings or thighs an I used to microwave them then strip the meat, (absolutely no bones but pour any meat juice into the bowl) boiled plain rice and give that to her till she has normal poos, it's really effective, then worm her. I personally use a food called Autarky, one of mine has gluten intolerance and suffered for ages with intermittent runny poo. We tried well beloved, canin and dr burns but the autarky works best with Loki's gut. He has perfect poos all the time. A little patience and she'll be right as rain in about a fortnight.

Something else to consider once you have her pooing normally, if once she's better and she still toilets in the night you might consider a cage, she won't soil where she has to sleep and if she can leave her bed to poo across the kitchen, she may take advantage. But please do your homework first :)

I have tried the boiled rice with her food, which worked slightly towards her phase of normal poos. I might change the food after I sort her out, if it starts to effect her when I sort her, different food it will be indeed. I sleep downstairs with her currently, as I like spending time with her and being closer to her as she is all my responsibility now, pretty much.

It would have done my home work, but wasn't expecting her, she came out of no where, like I said, every other animal I have, I have researched before hand.

No big deal, a lot of really happy husky homes start out this way :) I certainly did not do enough research before we got our first, now we have 9! It was not without help and advise that our pack became harmonious though! Start by getting yourself a breed specific book...I really liked New Owners Guide: Siberian Huskies by Kathleen Kanzler. Kathleen is very well known and respected in the Siberian Husky world.

As for feeding, get on a consistent diet...if you don't know what was being fed expect some intestinal distress while she adjusts to the new diet. This could take a couple weeks, depending on how rich the food you are feeding is compared to what was being fed. Feed small meals frequently, preferably 3 times a day. My last was eating between 1/3-1/2 cups 3 times per day at that age...you have to be in tune to body condition and over all health to get just the right balance. This group is always available for questions :) Good luck! and pics please!! :D

I will look that book up and see what I can find out and all :) I imagine by time I move out here I will have to take her with me, along with my other animals lol, I am 18 and take care of her and a Bearded Dragon, Royal Python, Rabbit and 2 Hamsters. People say I am mad, I just love them though haha.

We have had her for around 2 weeks and I think her stomach is just about got use to the stuff we got her on now, possibly, I think that's still a need to check though, which I will after she gets some normal poos in. Thank you for all the help, I will post one or two pics up in a few minutes, will upload too photobucket and do that way :)

Thank you for all the responses, really appreciate it people :)

Absolutely do some reading on breed specifics and trust in your own common sense, it'll serve you well :)

You're very welcome. I know I was beside myself with Safi an Loki and their poos when I brought them home. Safi responded far quicker but Loki persisted for a very long time. Just when I thought I'd cracked it he'd start over. Now he just has his feed, no treats or titbits. Nor do the others (can't give one without the other)

As an example, we went camping in the Lakes ( not sure where you are but guess USA) It's a major tourist spot with jam packed stone built towns an bustling markets. Sunday afternoon walking through the town centre Loki did the BIGGEST, RUNNIEST poo you can imagine. He was about 18mths. I had to stand over it to stop tourists wandering through it while my partner went to a shop an asked if we could have a bucket to swill it with. A very nice shop owner gave us a bucket with hot disinfectant water and a brush to clear it with.

I already had one sibe when I got the other two an was still stumped. You'll be fine, just as huskymom said

You're very welcome. I know I was beside myself with Safi an Loki and their poos when I brought them home. Safi responded far quicker but Loki persisted for a very long time. Just when I thought I'd cracked it he'd start over. Now he just has his feed, no treats or titbits. Nor do the others (can't give one without the other)

As an example, we went camping in the Lakes ( not sure where you are but guess USA) It's a major tourist spot with jam packed stone built towns an bustling markets. Sunday afternoon walking through the town centre Loki did the BIGGEST, RUNNIEST poo you can imagine. He was about 18mths. I had to stand over it to stop tourists wandering through it while my partner went to a shop an asked if we could have a bucket to swill it with. A very nice shop owner gave us a bucket with hot disinfectant water and a brush to clear it with.

I already had one sibe when I got the other two an was still stumped. You'll be fine, just as huskymom said

That must have been embarrassing for you, but hey, you've got beautiful dogs, they're worth every moment of effort :D

It's just time I guess :) I will get her all well and all, can't wait till she's better and all, will be great to see her have normal poos again :)

That must have been embarrassing for you, but hey, you've got beautiful dogs, they're worth every moment of effort :D

It's just time I guess :) I will get her all well and all, can't wait till she's better and all, will be great to see her have normal poos again :)

Husky owners are a strange breed lol

I had good news about Safi today, I was told she had weeks to live in September and now the vet believes her liver is regenerating (against all odds). At the time I didn't think she'd reach three, now it's an open book. Priceless

Husky owners are a strange breed lol

I had good news about Safi today, I was told she had weeks to live in September and now the vet believes her liver is regenerating (against all odds). At the time I didn't think she'd reach three, now it's an open book. Priceless

That's fantastic to hear :D Good strong dog she must be :)