A poem people should read before getting a dog!

brian brown

My family brought me home cradled in their arms.

They cuddled me and smiled at me and said I was full of charm.

They played with me and laughed with me and showered

me with toys.

I sure do love my family, especially the girls and boys.

The children loved to feed me, they gave me special treats.

They even let me sleep with them - all snuggled in the sheets.

I used to go for walks, often several times a day.

They even fought to hold the leash, I'm very proud to say.

These are the things I'll not forget - cherished memory,

because I now live in the shelter - without my family.

They used to laugh and praise me when I played with that old shoe.

But I didn't know the difference between the old ones and the new.

The kids and I would grab a rag, for hours we would tug.

So I thought I did the right thing when I chewed the bedroom rug.

They said that I was out of control, and would have to live outside.

This I did not understand, although I tried and tried.

The walks stopped, one by one; they said they hadn't time.

I wish that I could change things, I wish I knew my crime.

My life became so lonely, in the back yard, on a chain.

I barked and barked, all day long, just to keep from going insane.

So they brought me to the shelter,

but were embarrassed to say why.

They said I caused an allergy, then they each kissed me goodbye.

If I'd only had some classes, when I was just a little pup,

then I would have been a better dog when I was all grown up.

"You only have one day left." I heard the worker say.

Does that mean I have a second chance?

DO I GO HOME TODAY?

Hi Brian,

This sure makes you think about those who get a dog and didn't do their homework and research on a particular breed to see if it is compatible to be in their home. Thank you for sharing this, we passed it on to a friend of our who started an animal shelter in Vermont and who also was head of the HSUS (Humane Society of the United States) in the Alaska branch. This is why so many dogs end up in a shelter and never get their Fur-ever home! We have done 2 shelter rescues, Dakota and Kayak and never once regretted it!

Husky Lovers in Vermont

This poem really hit home for me, and actually made me cry. It could very well have been written by Scout! He's such a wonderful dog and I'm so glad I was able to save him, however reluctantly it was in the beginning. It was meant to be.

It just makes me angry on so many levels with so many people. Ignorance and selfishness play such a huge part in this happening to so many pups because people can't be bothered to do their research and they just have to have a puppy because they're soooo cute! Then they can't handle - or more likely can't be bothered to handle - a puppy's destructiveness and they seem to think that dogs come pre-programmed to obey commands and just don't understand why it doesn't listen.

But no, they had to have that pup, of that breed, and they owned a dog once when they were a kid so how hard can it be? And getting rid of a dog because it becomes an inconvenience makes me rabid.

*sigh* Okay, I'm done ranting. Bedtime.

This poem really hit home for me, and actually made me cry. It could very well have been written by Scout! He's such a wonderful dog and I'm so glad I was able to save him, however reluctantly it was in the beginning. It was meant to be.

It just makes me angry on so many levels with so many people. Ignorance and selfishness play such a huge part in this happening to so many pups because people can't be bothered to do their research and they just have to have a puppy because they're soooo cute! Then they can't handle - or more likely can't be bothered to handle - a puppy's destructiveness and they seem to think that dogs come pre-programmed to obey commands and just don't understand why it doesn't listen.

But no, they had to have that pup, of that breed, and they owned a dog once when they were a kid so how hard can it be? And getting rid of a dog because it becomes an inconvenience makes me rabid.

*sigh* Okay, I'm done ranting. Bedtime.

Hello Ravenwolf, Thank you from the bottom of our hearts, your wording couldn't have said it any better! You hit every nerve in our body. We feel exactly the way you do. This needs to be said over, and over and over to those ignorant and selfish people.

Husky Lovers in Vermont

"because I now live in the shelter - without my family."

heart jumped out at this line :cry1:made me think of a husky mix I know well which lived not so faraway from my school :( he used to be loved, a Golden Retriever in husky's coat. Truly obedient, as stunning as a mini wolf, really. But then an accident happened and he ended up biting someone. Now the poor boy wasn't even fed... Owners kept him crated 24/7 and let him out of his crate AND HOUSE at night so that he can feed himself (read: searching the junkyards and dumpster)

I cried through the whole thing, but I guess I know what was coming. :cry1:

Like Raven said, this poem very well could have been written by one of our rescued dogs...

Suka had 2 owners before I came around. His second owners only had him for ONE YEAR before they gave him up - their excuse? They didn't have time for him and they were moving to a place that didn't allow pets. I mean, REALLY!?!?

I cried through the whole thing, but I guess I know what was coming. :cry1:

Like Raven said, this poem very well could have been written by one of our rescued dogs...

Suka had 2 owners before I came around. His second owners only had him for ONE YEAR before they gave him up - their excuse? They didn't have time for him and they were moving to a place that didn't allow pets. I mean, REALLY!?!?

Scout was in at least 4 homes before he turned 2. FOUR homes, and one sledding outfit (who had to return him to the humane society because he just wasn't cut out for pulling). At least 5 if you count the original breeder, whoever they were. 4 homes that barely gave him a month before deciding that - cute as he was - they wanted a perfect puppy, not a mouthy, jumpy, chewy puppy. And I'm sure each of those fucking families thought "the next adorable puppy we bring home won't be like this. It will be sweet and cute and perfect and not jump on us and not destroy our stuff or take up so much of our time." :banghead: