Husky shedding-how long?

ryin33

I would like to know how long too, mine started about 2 weeks ago and it is still coming out! I am brushing/raking him everyday at the moment, He has hardly any tail or knickers now he is about half the size he was when he started lol.

Surley it has got to stop soon.............he will be bald! :eek:

I'm guessing you keep your fur babies inside? If so, they'll shed all year round! Their coats are meant to keep them warm in very cold climates, and if they are not in those climates they adapt by loosing fur to keep their body a comfortable temperature. If they are blowing their coats it normally last a few weeks :)

My 8 month husky is shedding like crazy. How long does it usually last? I don't know why she is shedding in the winter either.

ah shedding. All those about-husky websites fooled you didn't they LOL I know what those sites say... 2-3 weeks. Right? Well that's wrong LOL if you keep your baby inside the house they'll shed constantly! Have fun with all the fur :P but you'll be fine.. I believe u're already prepared with all the shedding (right? hehee) ;) it's the first thing every book/website told you if you're reading about this breed anyway :D

As others have said, keeping them indoors can effect how often etc. But also coat type with thickness and density etc. All ours vary, but it can also vary time to time. Dax the newest one has just had his first proper moult and its more or less all over in under 2 weeks :o Where as other can take weeks and weeks.

I'm guessing you keep your fur babies inside? If so, they'll shed all year round! Their coats are meant to keep them warm in very cold climates, and if they are not in those climates they adapt by loosing fur to keep their body a comfortable temperature. If they are blowing their coats it normally last a few weeks :)

You have the Siberian answer!! We find it to be the same for us.

Husky Lovers in Vermont

Yes we keep her inside. She started maybe 3 weeks ago. She would shed before but nothing bad. Now you can see white "spots" all over her rear legs where it is black/grey colored. You can just grab them and it's all undercoat. I need a dedicated doggy suit to touch her or I have a new fur coat also!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.875572,-72.688390

If you have a Petsmart near you with a self-grooming space, you can speed things up a bit (or if you're willing to pay a groomer to do it), and give her a warm bath, then work on blowing and combing her coat out with a high-speed dryer and a combination of grooming tools - some will work better than any other tool part of the time, the rest of the time something else will work the best! Very warm water will help loosen up the coat, and a high-speed blower/dryer made for dogs will help get in there and really get that loose coat out - the fur will literally fly!

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/de-furring-raf.25363/

That's why Suka sheds year-round! Never knew that, though I guess it makes sense!

Although, its not my fault...he doesn't like going outside. :P

Interesting responses here! Kojee is just about a year and he's started shedding. I have a question for the experienced owners. Will his fur change consistency after he goes through his first shed? What I mean is his fur is still very soft and silky so I was wondering if it will get more rugged and course like a more mature husky would have. He also is a shorter haired type as you can see in my pic. I am not sure how long they have puppy fur but I suspect he still has some. Anyone have any idea about that?

Interesting responses here! Kojee is just about a year and he's started shedding. I have a question for the experienced owners. Will his fur change consistency after he goes through his first shed? What I mean is his fur is still very soft and silky so I was wondering if it will get more rugged and course like a more mature husky would have. He also is a shorter haired type as you can see in my pic. I am not sure how long they have puppy fur but I suspect he still has some. Anyone have any idea about that?

how old he is, exactly? tell us in months. When my boy is 13 months old he already has all of his adult coat so... yeah :P watch out for maturity you'd miss the puppy years ;) Diamond is a woolly tho something might be different in the shedding.